Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Codeine 29er (xo1 build) or a Jeffsy AL1??
  • katoomer
    Free Member

I’ve been eyeing up a 29er full bouncer for a while and have narrowed it down to these two…

Which one would you go for?

coomber
    Free Member

Same price?

I was tempted by jeffsy pre brexit. Not so cheap now

katoomer
    Free Member

The Codeine is a tad cheaper and has a sightly better spec, X1 vs GX and Monarch Plus vs Monarch Rt3, but I expect it weighs more too.

On one couldn’t tell me how much a complete bike weighs which isn’t great. Looking something sub 30lbs

I really don’t like the on one paint schemes

jeffl

Jeffsy if price isn’t an issue. That way you don’t have to deal with On One/Planet X.

katoomer
    Free Member

Are on one/Planet X bad to deal with?

jeffl

People in the shop are fine. I had a bit of a disagreement over a warranty job on some Shimano brakes. They eventually relented but the replacement took 2 months to arrive and the communications were not great. Not what I’d expect for a deore calliper which you’d expect them to have in stock.

For other examples have a look on here for the London Road thread(s) for other examples.

To be fair I’m sure that lots of other people have good experiences of them but I couldn’t in all honesty recommend them purely because of their poor after sales.

katoomer
    Free Member

That what was worrying me about the German route. I bought a German bike last year and sorting any issues are a complete pain, sound like the UK brands are no better!

frood
    Free Member

Codeine large is 32lbs with the original pacenti tl28 wheeleset, ccdb air, tubes and pedals. Seriously quick up and down. Rides lighter than you’d expect. But it is tall and short

katoomer
    Free Member

How does it being tall and short affect its ride?

chakaping
    Free Member

The Yt for sure.

It’s not quite long enough for me but should be fine for most people.

The codeine is really short innit?

CheesybeanZ

I’ve got a Codeine , 5’10” with +4 cm on the ape index and the medium doesn’t feel short to me , i think its around 30lb with flow ex on hope hubs – not as quick at climbing as my Bandit b29 but better at descending .we’ve had a couple of components problems on other on one bikes that they sorted quickly with no fuss – one was 12 months out of warranty and they still replaced it with the newer version .

frood
    Free Member

Whereas im 5’10” on the large codeine and have now gone for a large last fastforward frame which has 25mm more reach than the large codeine and fits me much better.

If you’re in the region of Edinburgh you can have a go on my codeine if you want to try one.

katoomer
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer – I am way down south so I might get a nose bleed if I ventured that far north lol.

I think I am going to get the AL Capra (entry level) and run it 1×10 with a wide range Sunrace MX3 cassette, switch the slx brakes and shifters with XT ones, switch to carbon bars and eventually upgrade the shock and wheels.

I am not a fan of SRAM and the DT Swiss wheels don’t seem the best.

honourablegeorge

How are you liking the FF, Frood? Any pics?

Love mine

konanige

Ive had my Codeine over two years now and still loving it, had an issue with shock (cane creek) which was sorted under warranty pretty quickly and managed to break the chainstay which was done under warranty pretty
    promptly too, so I cant really complain about the service from Planet X.
    Am down south myself in somerset if that’s any use for a test ride theres at least 3 others within 15 miles of me.

chiefgrooveguru

A, Steve from Worthing has a Codeine, likes it a lot. Knowing how high your bars tend to be the stack height would be fine for you and it’s only fractionally shorter than the Jeffsy. The Codeine is a heavy frame though, so with big wheels you’re not going to get below 30lbs without carbonising a lot of it.

I’d trust YT’s warranty support more, despite them being in another country! Continuing from my ramblings on kinematics, the Jeffsy will bob a bit more than the Codeine but be far more active under braking (less anti-squat but a lot less braking-squat). Nice linkage progression – it and the Capra have really well designed suspension.

ahwiles
    Free Member

FWIW, I reckon my Codeine is teh nuts. but’s it’s not the final answer to all ‘waht bike’ questions.

you say:

…On one couldn’t tell me how much a complete bike weighs which isn’t great. Looking something sub 30lbs

1) don’t be too hard on them, remember that quoted bike weights are always lies.

2) sub 30lbs? i’m sure you could build a Codeine to less than 30lbs, but then you’d be missing the point of a Codeine.

(6’2″, long legs, onna large, which fits just fine)

sq225917
    Free Member

Weighed the large XO/1 in the shop today, 32.1lbs in current spec with WTB’s and the piggyback Monarch. I reckon there’s a lb to be dropped from that just by going decent tubeless.

fizik
    Free Member

Love my codeine, short yes but it is such a playful bike and the bb is very low, not great for rock strikes but rides great. never had anything but praise by anyone who has ridden it. I cracked my mk1 frame on the top tube at pila but they had the new frame with new gusset in the post the same day that they recieved my cracked one so couldn’t be happier really.

RustyMac

the canyon spectral is in that price range, have you thought about that as an option?

katoomer
    Free Member

With the build that comes on the codeine, it should be easily around the 30lb mark for a medium unless the frame is about 1/2 lb or so heavier than it should be.

Cheers for weighing one in the shop btw.

I have looked at the spectral but the it didn’t really fit the bill. I think the Jeffsys frame and suspension package is better than the codeine so think that is the winner…

chestrockwell

I’ve been looking at these bikes a bit recently. My two pence is that I’d only buy a YT/Canyon/Rose/etc due to the kit you get for the money. The current 2k Codiene beats them all for spec so I’d probably get that.

Saying that, the likely result for me would be buying a Orange and accepting the mince spec for the money.

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

id go YT or build up a Cove hustler frame

katoomer
    Free Member

Past experiences would tell me to avoid Rose at all costs.

I would imagine YT & Canyon have the edge on on-on one in terms of design and manufacturing technique.

katoomer
    Free Member

I’ve been eyeing up the hustlers, but the frame is discontinued and they are the same as a Kona Satori

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega 290?

katoomer
    Free Member

Personal I think the nukeproofs are too heavy and over priced..

chakaping
    Free Member

If the Jeffsy fits you then it looks pretty unbeatable to me.

Kind of glad it’d be too short for me.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

There is a whole load of spurious crap spouted on this thread. OP you need to demo some trail 29’ers and make a decision based on what best suited you. Codeine is a big bike, manufactured in China using same frame builders as the others, most likely, and the techniques will be no worse than canyon, YT or Giant. Rose don’t have a full on 29’er trail bike so whatever you find naff about them isn’t relevant. Radon have a 29’er Slide, Giant have the Anthem, etc etc, so limiting to 2bikes without a demo is odd. The Jeffsy isnt widely reviewed but looks reasonable value post Brexit. Suspect like DFS, there will be another On One sale soon so you might get the Codiene for buttons.

katoomer
    Free Member

Pretty sure Rose have two 29er full bouncers, root Miller and Dr Z, but more XC than trail bandit

Having bought and currently owning a Rose Enduro bike I feel my opinion on them is valid, and a different wheel size will not change that.

I would say the frames are made in Tiawan not China, but hey it’s Asia so close enough.

Both YT and Canyon offer bikes with a superior suspension design to on-one, along with higher QC so there a difference there. But On-one offer superior components on their build.

I haven’t limited my choice to 2 bikes, but excluded many due to geo, weight and countless other requirements.

It’s hard to demo either as they are direct sales, a banshee prime was also on the list but being a boutique candian brand it was a bit too expensive.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

There are a couple of clued-up reviewers of the Cove on the CRC page link above. Here’s one which sums the frame up. I have it in its Hammerhead guise with a slack bushing and headset and it is the cheapest way to build a bike that in my opinion, beats the likes of the Jeffsy in geometry terms:

I did a lot of research on this frame before committing. The history is interesting as the frame design began life as the Kona Satori before morphing into a Caribou catalog bike product . Hammerhead bikes called it the Thumper then rebranded themselves and we got Switchback bikes and the Unveil 9. Cove take over at this point and build the frame as a 650b called the Hustler aimed at their target market. There are no 29 Hustlers on the Cove website for sale so I emailed for an explanation. They said a bunch were made for CRC by agreement and they would be fully supporting them. All this is online and gives a fascinating look into this side of the bike industry. Don’t be put off. At this discounted price which includes a good rear shock its a no brainer. For me the frame has all the right angles, build quality and features for a potentially very fast enduro machine. I’ve gone for a Rochshox Yari 150mm fork, second hand ZTR crests on hope hubs, SLX brakes and 1 by 10 drivetrain. This is not a super light bike however I was amazed just how well it climbs. When you point it downhill and that extra momentum and rolling kicks in…big grin. I’m 6ft 4″ and with a 70mm stem and 800mm bars it feels spot on.

katoomer
    Free Member

I have almost bought the Cove a few times, but when I have worked out the cost of a full build including a reverb and decent forks it comes too expensive 🙁

paulneenan76
    Free Member

YT & Canyon have better QC? Are you on crack? It’s not difficult to find umpteen threads on warranty issues for both companies. If you said Giant or Whyte, fair enough, but it sounds like you’ve had a bad experience with Rose and it’s left a sour taste.
    Yes Rose have 29ers but not in this segment.
    Taiwan, China, the point being that few build their own frames; even Orange only part assemble.

I think if you come to a forum for thoughts on “what bike”, the answer would typically be, buy what I buy or go test a few.

STATO
    Free Member

YT & Canyon have better QC? Are you on crack? It’s not difficult to find umpteen threads on warranty issues for both companies.

Yes but at least they deal with the issue, PX have a history of ignoring or denying or just supplying crap and hoping they get away with it.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m not sure about this. Personally I’ve found them equally bad and equally as good as most others at the value end of the market. They have gone a bit “sports direct” since Brant left though.

thepodge
    Free Member

That Cove is vastly over priced.

As mentioned above, Kona Partnered with a designer & Caribou for the Satori, Designer & Caribou make a Horst link “catalogue” version, Hammerhead / Switchback / Cove all put their stickers on it and sell it at different prices.

If memory serves, you could pick up the Hammerhead new for under £500

I Have a Satori with a -2 headset and when I remember where I’ve put them some -1 bushings. With 140mm forks its an absolute monster truck. My only criticism is I’d like it to be a bit longer.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Personal I think the nukeproofs are too heavy and over priced..

LMFAO. The 275 Mega’s frame is as light as my Giant Reigns – which is pretty much the lightest aluminium 160mm travel frame that you can buy.

The Codeine is a heavy, flexy thing sold by people who have no interest in aftersales support. Sure it’s cheap though. The Jeffsy is a bit more expensive but still good value – but support is all the way over in Germany and it’s not as slack or as long n the reach as the Mega. If you want to buy closer to home and have the budget then I really rate the Megas, my dad got his 275 from Global Bikes who have been nothing short of brilliant and have thrown in a lot of deals with the frame.

katoomer
    Free Member

I agree the Cove looks like a deal on paper, bit its not really the bargain they makit it out to be.

A 160mm 29er is a bit overkill for me, but if I was after one then it would probably be a Spesh 29 Enduro.

I am looking something with 29er wheels, 130/140mm rear travel and a 140/150mm fork, short chain stays, 67ish degree head Angle and doesn’t require a re-mortgage.

Hence the Jeffsy and Codeine, but I might start to looking at the Stump Jumper too..

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’d put the Anthem in that pot with the Spesh. The new iteration is a lot more slack and more trail orintated now.

trusty

Look at the vitus escarpe as well on CRC, extra 10% off if you’re a BC member too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Codeine 29er (xo1 build) or a Jeffsy AL1??’ is closed to new replies.