Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Coast to Coast, What Tyre/ Bike Mods
  • RegP
    Free Member

Looking to do the above this summer on the Whitehaven to Sunderland.

Want to combine it with some off road if possible, so what sort of tyre do seasoned vet’s recommend.

Also looking at using the Global Hard tail, would you recommend any major alterations to it, it is just a normal lx/xt set up with fox talas RLC’S.

Any other tips appreciated.

fatmax

In 2009 I did the full Sustrans route on a rigid ’93 Orange Clockwork, with 1.5 Specialized Armadillo tyres. That was keeping to the route (mostly roads and easy tracks)- but it was perfect. There was only a few miles of proper offroad after leaving Rookhope. Depends what offroad you are adding, and how much…

RegP
    Free Member

Fatmax, If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take you/your fitness level?

ARP

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Slam a set of Schwalbe XRs on the steed (or some kinda ‘urban’ inverted grip tyres.

Everything else will be fine. There are a lot of onroad sections like fatmax says, depending on grouse season or whatever you might not even be allowed up Rookhope. Pretty much cinderpath for the last section around Consett.

I’ve done it a few times in both two days and three days. Three days will cover anyone who’s ever ridden a bike.

Hopefully gonna go for a one-dayer this year…

fatmax

There were 11 of us of real mixed ability, so it was quite a casual jaunt over three days. Whitehaven-Keswick 35 miles-ish in afternoon, Keswick-Rookhope is a hilly 65 miles or so and some of the irregular cyclists found this tough going, and Rookhope to Sunderland was 40 miles in a morning. With a larger group and some of the lads not so fit, I think averaged about 10mph when we weren’t in the cafe or pub.

Pieface

I did the sustrans route with most of the off-road sections on a rigid MTB. I used Conti travel contacts – the side nobs helped a bit, but you should be fine with scwhalbe marathons, assuming you’re doing it in the summer. Rookhope incline is not that off-roady.

Xylene
    Free Member

I would use a pair of Swampthing 2.35 Supertacky’s. Ideal for the Coast to Coast or any other general riding…………..if you want big legs.

james
    Free Member

I used 2.1″ Maxxis Crossmarks (70a) @ 40/60psi f/r on my XC hardtail in anticipation of some offroady bits. While they were fine on the roads (keeping the rear nice and hard), aside from climbing the old coach road and dropping to 40psi (was nearing the campsite anyway) I didn’t really have any need for tyres ‘so’ chunky
    The climb out of rookhope ought to be doable on slicks and some smooth pedalling
    (Granted I missed out some of the offroad bits round nenthead/allenheads and the big climb beyond penrith due to time/others in group)

Since doing so I’ve ridden the pennine section of the transpennine trail (from manchester to nr. doncaster). I thought it’d be similar in railway paths with less offroad so I opted for my rigid bike shod with nigh on slick continental sport contacts (1.6″). I also reccomended a friend get some slicks rather than keep with his knobblies (he asked whether he should), and another use a trek 1000 road bike (slicked up as I’d ridden with someone on the C2C on a flat barred road bike do all but the non railway path offroad stuff)
    Turns out in march much of the railway paths are sloppy and there are some rocky bit over the top of the pennines
    Apart from another (non MTBer) friend on slightly treaded slicks and another on knobblies (who destroyed himself even with very high tyre pressures), we had a great time. The sloppy bits were suprisingly rideable even with 80psi slicks, fast going and fun, reasonable on the rocky bits (very fast on the tiny bit of down) too (not so much the tiny bit of wet grass over the tops).
    Anyhow, with a bit of MTBing skill and some smooth pedalling nigh on smooth slicks will do you fine IMO

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Coast to Coast, What Tyre/ Bike Mods’ is closed to new replies.