Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Clips to flats, what to expect?
  • yunki
    Free Member

What was predictable? Someone pointing out you made a false statement about clipped riders being inexperienced?

yeah exactly that….
    both sides of our argument are fairly standard on here whenever this topic crops up

buy bent expensive shoes if you like, or don’t… and make your own mind up about which is which

s’all marketing

chiefgrooveguru

If your technique isn’t near perfect then riding flats will force you to improve it, which will benefit your riding on any pedal.

Generally clips are faster for racing for most riders but not for all. And in some conditions (when it’s impossible not to exceed the limits of grip/balance so you have to frequently dab) then flats are quicker. The higher your skill level, the less often that will be – but that WC DH in Cairns was a good example of when even the pros are all quicker on flats.

nickc

pick a side, be a dick about it…

Flats VS spds.

it’s a pointless argument really. Find the pedals you like best, use them. As soon as you start to “justify” your choice in relation or competition to some other random person’s choice, you’ve become a dick.

Don’t be a dick.

yunki
    Free Member

Don’t be a dick

spoilsport 🙁

docgeoffyjones

pick a side, be a dick about it…

Flats VS spds.

it’s a pointless argument really. Find the pedals you like best, use them. As soon as you start to “justify” your choice in relation or competition to some other random person’s choice, you’ve become a dick.

Don’t be a dick.

this does seem like any sort of fun

Hicksy
    Free Member

Weirdly my feet feel more secure/planted on flats. On all the SPDs I’ve used there always appears to be some float, but I guess they aren’t all like that.

I’m probably never going to be World Champion though.

Mintman
    Free Member

I am not gnar and have been quite happily riding around in SPDs for 10 years. When I bought a new bike (T130s) I was offered pedals so it seemed like a good chance to have a go on flats. It’s not been an overnight success if I’m honest and my shins are testament to that but I’ll keep with them for now because they’re growing on me.

Over the last 2 months I’ve felt almost as attached to the bike as I ever did on SPDs and for wheels on the ground riding the ability to escape fractionally quicker has not gone unnoticed so in this scenario I prefer them.

Wheels in the air continues to be challenging though and mostly attributed to poor technique. I’ve relied heavily on the “SPD lift” for jumping which has been just fine for my riding but now no longer works. Each time I go out I get closer to a bunny hop and now that I’ve finally realised the importance of foot position on a flat pedal I’ve stopped slipping off them when lifting the rear wheel.

A new bike and new pedal type (with 5.10s) still makes me excited everytime I go out, I’m having to revisit my technique and suprisingly I don’t mind; there’s something nice about going back to basics by trying to jump twigs and puddles but I’m getting better every time and that makes me smile.

martinkiely
    Free Member

I made the switch about a year ago and have stuck with it – mostly as I felt myself being less confident when clipped in on technical sections after a couple of crashes. However, I haven’t found it an easy transition, and after being off the bike for nearly a month after a DMR Vault shin-eating session I’d heartily recommend some decent pads! Better technique? I’m not convinced – just different as far as I can see – though with my minimal skill levels that’s probably no real conclusion to draw! Try it, and see what you think – after all, its’ what works for you in the end! 🙂

sparrowcar
    Free Member

OP here with an update for those interested.

I bought a pair of five ten Maltese falcons (spd compatable) so I had a get out of jail card if I didn’t enjoy riding flats.
    Went for 15k/500m spin on my local bike trail centre and smashed the **** out of a load of PB’s on strava

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Clips to flats, what to expect?’ is closed to new replies.