Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Clipless for Beginners – Small Release Angle
  • gymaint
    Free Member

After failing with eggbeaters and a long time on flats I've decided to MTFU and give clipless another go. The biggest problem I found with the egg beaters was the release angle. Which pedals have the smallest release angle or do people think I should try a caged pedal so I can get used to being clipped in with the alternative of a flat at the same time??

ojom
    Free Member

You found the eggbeaters hard to get out of?

They can be 15 or 20 degrees. Did you try the 15? (dotted cleat on right foot). I find these delightfully easy. I think if there was a small angle you would come out often.

sc-xc

as above, CB pedals are much easier to get in and out of than SPDs IMO.

ojom
    Free Member

Its worth me pointing out as well that the release angle of CB is independent of spring tension. i.e. you cant adjust the springs on eggies etc.

I would be concerned the others on the market would be the opposite of what i think you are asking for.

Have you experimented with your cleats to find a more 'confident' position?

thepurist

Multi-release cleats on spds are probably the easiest as you can pretty much yank your foot out any old how. Some say they can release unexpectedly but I never had a problem with that when I was using them. I tried the caged pedals too (545s) but they seem to make it harder to get clipped in without offering any real grip if you weren't.

Time cleats can be set up with 2 different release angles as well, but they're still harder to get out of than the multi release spds. Nicer to pedal in tho.

gymaint
    Free Member

Thanks thebikechain. I've tried the 15 degree option but still couldn't get used to it in a rush. I'd naturally lift up in a panic and then end up on the floor still clipped in. With regards to moving the cleats it would make sense to move them further forward therefore reducing how much the ankle has to rotate.

ojom
    Free Member

Hmm i see.

You need to practice.

I actually run my cleats really far back to the middle of my shoe. It makes me feel much more comfortable and confident about riding them. I dont need the last level in efficiency i just like to feel normal!

BigJohn

I've been riding Time for years and a new set of cleats always gives me an unscheduled dismount. They're very stiff until they wear a bit.

Make sure you're not trying to unclip by twisting the foot. The action is of kicking your leg away sideways. I know this – I've got the x-rays to prove it.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

I've just sarted with the multi release cleats recommended above and they work ok.

Don't adjust the cleat position on your shoes in order to help with release. The position should only be based on riding comfort and efficiency.

If I had eggbeaters I guess I would just have to get used to them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Clipless for Beginners – Small Release Angle’ is closed to new replies.