Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • clip ins….still cant get on with them ….ohhh
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

Cos im so used to flats on my mountain bike..im really having trouble with my shimano egg beater clip ins…. Its, every few weeks im falling off the roadie bike…now im so feared off getting back on it.grrrrr….im not comfortable,with the dam things….so what flat pedals for road bikes. Any suggestions if i decide to change…duno how,i fall sideways wen on the bike but its not funny anymore…road shoes were very expensive thats why ive been tryin to persevere with the clip ins….like i said im not happy and just dont get on with the clip ins….so waste of money for shoes n pedals, but i cant carry on being so nervous with the clip ins….arrgghg…..i love flat pedals so please any advice apreciated…….seems crazy as ive had the road bike for just over a year, but cant get into these clip ins….what the hell.. lol

meehaja
    Free Member

what?

try for longer?

Lifer
    Free Member

How long have you been using them?

allthepies
    Free Member

>shimano egg beater clip ins.

I think you must have some iffy Chinese copy pedals 😉

toppers3933
    Free Member

you should stick with them. they will almost certainly have a tension screw that alters how easy it is to unclip from them. back this right off so that it is really easy to get out of them in an emergency. practice getting out of them while you are not moving. lean against a wall so that you wont fall over. its all about muscle memory. the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about flats for the roadie too (spds utterly kill the tendons down the back of my knees for some reason) and reckon that the nukeproof electrons look fairly decent. Made of plastic so should be fairly light.

toppers3933
    Free Member

chvck, try adjusting your saddle position. its not the pedals that are causing the problem as such. its your overall riding position.

monksie
    Free Member

Eggbeaters don’t have tension screws. Just swap the cleats around to increase or decrease the release point.
    How much would you be looking for for them if you sell them? I could use a spare pair.
    As above, Shimano don’t do Eggbeaters. They’re either Crank Bros, Look or rip off’s.

chvck
    Free Member

chvck, try adjusting your saddle position. its not the pedals that are causing the problem as such. its your overall riding position.

Hmm I’ve tried adjusting the cleats and pedals but not the saddle, will have a go, cheers!

glenh
    Free Member

What?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

every few weeks im falling off the roadie bike…now im so feared off getting back on it.grrrrr….im not comfortable,with the dam things…..duno how,i fall sideways wen on the bike but its not funny anymore.

So your problem appears to be unclipping ? I can’t believe you’ve got Eggbeaters then – I’ve never had problems unclipping from Eggbeaters. Plus I don’t see the point of Eggbeaters on a road bike as mud is unlikely to be a serious issue.

elaineanne
    Free Member

Lol mud doent get in them…had them for a year….i once had them too slack and the actual clip in came away and stuck onto my shoe…luckily i was close to my sons house and he was able to fix it for me…its got to a point where im scared to go on the bike again….i dont no much about clip ins….i just got the shimano in the sale…..should i look at another model…they just seem too hard to unclip…ineed somethin witj a smoother action…..shimano seems too rough somehow?

elaineanne
    Free Member

Seat position is about in the middle, should i move the seat further back then?……gotta be carefull with seat position lol im only 5ft small… 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member

no need to change your seat position, i was referring to the other post. sorry. elaine i think you need to stick with them and keep practicing with them at home. of you undo the tension screw too much then they will fall apart. obviously dont undo them that much. 😀 leaning on a wall and practicing should help, its quite dificult to fall over that way.

elaineanne
    Free Member

Just searched for my pedals online….they are called. shimano A520 clipless….

PJM1974
    Free Member

Perseverance is the key. Also, if you’re using Shimano clippies, you can adjust the tension so they’re easier to bail out of. MrsPJM has practised using hers at a spinning class at the local gym, so she’s pretty handy with the whole instinctive unclipping thing.

john_drummer
    Free Member

ideally a wall next to some grass 😉

seriously though, there’s a tension screw in the middle of front & rear of each pedal, loosen it a bit & clip an empty shoe in to it, then try to release the show by hand. repeat until it’s fairly easy – with shimano SPDs the method is to twist the foot one way or t’other to undo, toe end in first the press down to fasten. Repeat for both pedals, then try clipping in & out while wearing the shoes, but stationary, leaning against a wall, fence, lamppost etc. Ideally get a helper. Or try it one foot at a time with your other foot on the ground, as though you were about to set off – but don’t set off.

palookah
    Free Member

This is… Just…aaaargh, ooh, thinly disguised bot/troll spam…

toppers3933
    Free Member

it really is a case of practice makes perfect. it may help to take them off for a month and run some cheap flat to get your confidence back up. then switch back. i did this when i first started using them on my mtb and it worked for me.

Lifer
    Free Member

palookah – Member
    This is… Just…aaaargh, ooh, thinly disguised bot/troll spam…

😐

Shimano do multi-directional release cleats, might be worth trying them.

These:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10969&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

toppers3933
    Free Member

lifer your a legend. i had totally forgotten about them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I tried to read that but it turned my brain to mush. So you have some pedals you don’t like. And some you do.

So, erm???

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘clip ins….still cant get on with them ….ohhh’ is closed to new replies.