Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cleaning up a old ali frame
  • dannybee
    Free Member

The missus has a old Dave Hinde dragon that I’m trying to tidy up however loads of autosol is not cutting it are they any other ways preferably easier? The frame just looks tired and i think its dirt that has got into some of the scratches.

It has been lacquered at some point as there is a bit left on one dropout and at the top of seat tube. Would it be possible to flat it with some 1200 or will it scratch it. Its a old frame so not hoping for miracles just tidy it up a bit.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

This stuff is amazing on aluminium.
    http://www.unicodirect.com/brass-metal-liquid-polish-p-433.html?zenid=4mhlmk9jvkdju1ed9i9dcote92

Autosol is also highly regarded.

ritchic
    Free Member

A scouring pad or wire wool to get tough stuff off then autosol after

stoddys
    Free Member

My wife’s Marion nail trail is similar. Think there is more lacquer but it also needs a clean up. Please let me know what works for you, I’ve tried auto solve but not up to it.
    Stoddy

robdob
    Free Member

You need to make sure all the lacquer is off first – I used paint stripper to remove it on a frame I had.

Rather than spend hours polishing I just used a Scotchbrite pad after that to give it a satin brushed finish, only took a few minutes. Polishing is nice but if there isn’t lacquer any more its harder to keep it looking good later on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning up a old ali frame’ is closed to new replies.