Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Clciking noise from rear end
  • screamingtree
    Free Member

I was out at Swinley yesterday and after half an hour or so I found that there was a clicking noise when putting extra power through the pedals (ie; when climbing). It’s as if something is rubbing but I’ve taken a look and can’t see any issues though and everything looks straight at the rear mech.

woody2000

Mech hanger
    Bottom bracket bearings
    QR
    Pedal axle
    Knee
    Cable tap
    Cassette loose
    Crack

etc etc…

Get checking 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Greased your seatpost recently? 💡
    (Sounds like a metaphor…..) 😉

screamingtree
    Free Member

Mech hanger – looks fine, straight and true, no cracks
    Bottom bracket bearings – the noise is coming from the rear end
    QR –
    Pedal axle – definitely the rear end
    Knee – knee screwed but doesn’t click
    Cable tap – nope
    Cassette loose – I’ll take a look but don’t think so
    Crack – no cracks that I can see

It definitely sounds like it’s coming from the rear mech

andrewy

I find sudocrem usually cures clicking noises from the rear end 😀

woody2000

Just because a click sounds like it’s coming from the back end, doesn’t mean it is…..

chris_db
    Free Member

Have you popped the end caps off the rear axle and regreased them? That can often be the source.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Just because a click sounds like it’s coming from the back end, doesn’t mean it is…..

+1
    A click that sounds like it comes from the rear end in time with your pedalling can turn out to come from the bars or stem. Probably not in this case, but definately don’t rule out the BB, cranks or pedals just because it sounds like it’s coming from further back.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I usually assume it is something that is going to be a right pain to fix or diagnose, but then find out it is a slightly loose rear QR.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is the noise in sync with pedaling or wheel revs? that will help narrow it down.

wwaswas

In my case the annoying clicking noise when pedalling that I spent a 3 hour ride trying to diagnose was the end of a shoe lace hitting the crank arm. *ahem*

colin1265
    Free Member

Bottle cage bolts ?

hambl90
    Free Member

A mate had a similar problem , it turned out to be his rear wheel qr skewer had to change it in the end.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Mine was clicking in a way that sounded like the freehub but when in drive rather than freewheeling.

Turned out was simply the brake pads. Worn right down. Replaced. Clicking gone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Clciking noise from rear end’ is closed to new replies.