Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Chopsticks
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is there anyone who can’t use them?

I suppose Americans, who struggle with a knife and fork, must fail, but everyone else can, surely?

Cougar

Me, for one.

I eat Chinese food so rarely that I never saw the point in learning, other than as a pissing contest to show how superior I am. Makes me laugh seeing people doggedly struggling impotently with them, I’ve never had any problems going “can I have a fork please?”

teasel
    Free Member

a pissing contest to show how superior I am

…is what yet another pointless thread should be titled.

😉

RustySpanner

I don’t eat Chinese food.
    It’s cultural appropriation.

In fact, apart from this place, I only communicate in Lancashire dialect.

vondally
    Free Member

Currently in Japan, so this is a daily struggle, I even brought my own spork……in my defence I have limited feeling in my right hand first three fingers and thumb and similiar on yhe left….. thankful the staff in most places just gave a fork and knife under the chopsticks…

richmars

Is there any advantage in using chopsticks?

chewkw
    Free Member

I use the bastardised version even when it is part of my culture or way of life. i.e. I don’t hold my chopsticks properly even when my parents attempted to right me many times as a kid.

I can use chopsticks but the way I hold them is ugly and not very effective.

Instead of holding this shape “\ /” (“V shape”) I ended up “||” (“eleven Shape”). The former you pick up food with strength and precision, while the latter just sloppy food hanging sticks …

I am ashamed of myself … 😳

poly
    Free Member

Richmars – I find I eat slower, allowing me to enjoy the food more, and probably enabling my stomach to acknowledge it has been satisfied sooner.

richmars

poly,
    So no real advantage then!

Cougar

I find I eat slower, allowing me to enjoy the food more, and probably enabling my stomach to acknowledge it has been satisfied sooner.

I achieve the same effect by not shovelling quite so fast. (-:

Isn’t that just because you can’t use them as well as a fork? Fairly sure I’ve seen Chinese (I think) folk using them by holding the bowl a couple of inches from their face and hoovering up rice as fast as their hands can move.

scaredypants

I had a couple of chinese mates when I was at school

They presented me with a pair of chopsticks as a gift once and then made me a bowl of noodles. Took a while to get it approximately sorted foir picking up wet noodles, which amused them no end.

Then they ate theirs the “proper way” – tip bowl & use chopsticks just to shovel the stuff into their mouths. Seems picking up individual bits is a western affectation mostly.

RustySpanner

richmars – Member
    So no real advantage then!

Well, you can pick your nose, or someone elses, without having to put your eating irons down.

ninfan
    Free Member

I suppose Americans, who struggle with a knife and fork, must fail, but everyone else can, surely?

Even the Chinese get it wrong sometimes:

Man rushed to doctor with chopstick stuck in his penis

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is there any advantage in using chopsticks

Not sure about advantage, it’s just an alternative. Not using metal cutlery, particularly, with certain foods, means you don’t get a metallic taste.

teasel
    Free Member

I had no idea you were so sensitive, CFH.

Bless…

🙂

Drac

Americans seem to manage just fine..

[video]https://youtu.be/CF7-rz9nIn4[/video]

holst
    Free Member

Is there any advantage in using chopsticks?

Stops your fingers from getting greasy.

richmars

Well, you can pick your nose, or someone elses, without having to put your eating irons down.

I use the blunt end of my fork.

cinnamon_girl

Is there anyone who can’t use them?

Me. What’s the problem Cap’n?

jonba
    Free Member

I learnt in a tokyo ramen bar. It was a matter of survival. Use them occasionally at home and on holiday when apprpriate. Food taste better. Bit like eating chips out of paper with a wooden fork.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I use chopsticks to remove nits from my kids heads, I then dip the nits in Tabasco and eat.

CountZero

No problem here, if I eat Chinese or Japanese I automatically pick up the supplied chopsticks and just get on with eating.
    I did have the advantage of going out with a lovely half-Chinese girl whose family always used chopsticks at home when eating Chinese.
    Not if her dad made one of his wonderful curries, though.

bearnecessities
    cheers_drive

[video]https://youtu.be/J1gAHil89Z4[/video]

cheers_drive

I prefer chopsticks as I eat to quickly with a knife and fork. My technique could be better, I always hold them too close to the tip.
    Many Americans use a fork in the dominant hand to shovel food in whilst using a knife in the other to assist scooping up the food.

Cougar

Many Americans use a fork in the dominant hand to shovel food in whilst using a knife in the other to assist scooping up the food.

Seems imminently sensible to me.

km79
    Free Member

Bit like eating chips out of paper with a wooden fork.

Sounds like something only a tourist would do.

hora
    Free Member

They are second nature for me. I remember when I was younger at Dim Sum the locals used to make gleeful comments. Eating rice with chopsticks is really easy. Alot easier than you’d think.

Kuco

Me, I prefer a spoon so I can shovel it in better.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What’s the story of the edits?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

This American seems to manage just fine

teasel
    Free Member

What’s the story of the edits?

🙂

There is no spoonchopsticks…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I use a wooden chopstick to test the temperature of the oil in the pan before I deep fry the sh*t out some chicken and shovel it in my face with my western utensils

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I think chopsticks are fine for shovelling in rice.. more so that an spoon.. straight from the bowl 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

This American seems to manage just fine

That’s exactly how I hold my chopsticks. i.e. Not the proper way instead of the correct “V” position, the position is “X”.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me, I prefer a spoon so I can shovel it in better.

Is that a dessert spoon or a tablespoon? I prefer the latter.

WTF is the point of chopsticks anyway? Oh I know, noodle knitting!

seosamh77
    Free Member

I can use them fine but I dislike it when the give you a plate to use them with. Should be a wee bowl so you can hold it up to you mouth and actually use the things properly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The only chopsticks ringing in my ears..

[video]https://youtu.be/pRapSpA-dN0[/video]

But you never need em’ when scoffing this stuff..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Shovelling is the main advantage. Bowl needs to be virtually in your face and go crazy flicking the stuff in. Rice in particular.

I’m used to chopsticks and it’s part of the cultural experience, even if we all eat western basterdised versions of Asian dishes.

As for Americans, they can’t even stick knife and forks in the correct hands.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

These days, whenver I go into a restaurant (McDonalds) I take a pop up tent to eat in just in case some public school educated, polymath, cultural icon spots the lowly, bovine manner in which I slurp the shit off my cardboard box and seeks to correct my manners. Save a lot of awkwardness all round.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Chopsticks’ is closed to new replies.