Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Chinook!!!!!!!
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

they sound loud going over but you don’t realise quite how loud until one lands nearby and they just get louder and louder

ash.addy
    Free Member

Redthunder that stripy helecopter is a Seaking MK 4 used by The Fleet Air Arm 845 and 846 Squadron and it does have artic cammo and no I’m not a spotter I used to work on them.

robh

Arctic FFS

Westland Commando, a marine version of the Sea King

I would have thought the Sea bit implied Marine

Also hope that’s not the A1 as everyone is on the wrong side.

higthepig
    Free Member

I would have thought the Sea bit implied Marine

No, the Sea King is full of radar/sonar stuff depending which version and limited passenger capability, the Commando is more basic stripped out version so that you can fill it with more warm pink bodies. Former frequent flyer on both types.

ThePinkster

Get 2 Apaches followed by 2 Chinooks fly over late(ish) at night a couple of times a month round here in sleepy ol’ Cheshire

PrinceJohn

I saw a Chinook on Dartmoor a couple of years ago….

chinook_dmoor by zachwinsley, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

More Helicopter by SGMTB, on Flickr

Helicopter Close by SGMTB, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

Couple more rides…

IMG_1630 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_6413 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_1752 by SGMTB, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

I know it is fixed, but can I join in? Couple of these lazy boys slipped by a couple of days ago – one even dipped/side slid a wee bit when all the kids in the canoes started waving….had camera in afternoon and got this poor shot. 🙂

IMGP1580 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

mrdestructo

I’d add some video, but it was taken from the wrong side of the barbed wire.

Whilst the Wessex is just a wall of noise, and the Chinook a nice sound, if you want proper screaming in your groin it has to be the A10 (Tank Killer.) Those make the best “moar power!” noises around.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Love the sound a chinook makes, we have them coming past us at work every few days. When I first heard them I wondered what it was as I hadn’t heard anything like it before.

Last summer I was up Stile Cop and there was an Apache hovering watching us. Best audience I have ever had.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Snowdon090 by gary_foulger, on Flickr

As seen from the summit of Snowdon

Duxford Spring Air Show 83 by gary_foulger, on Flickr

Showing it’s tummy

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

This did a few fly by’s last night

shedfull
    Free Member

I live near Hankley Common, near Elstead in Surrey (where they’re currently filming the new James Bond film) and we see Chinooks all the time, flying high circuits during the day. As soon as it gets dark, they switch to night vision and start terrain following going to the drop zone at Hankley.

We’re at the bottom of a tree lined valley, with 1 in 7 hills going up from 73m outside my door to 110m on the hills either side. The Chinooks come down there so low, in the dark, that they’ve blown the smoke back down into our log burner!

mogrim

The joys of currently working on the helicopter flight line out in afghanistan !!

You with the Spanish guys out there, renton? My friend Carlos is a captain maintaining helicopteros out there, somewhere…

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Had a chinook fly through Reading last week. I was sitting out in the garden with the cat. As the thing roared by, the cat completely missed it because he was following the patch a few hundred yards behind it, where the sound was coming from.

renton
    Free Member

mogrim, see the pics that fourcross john has put up just above your post ….. thats what im working on !!

Merlins btw

morgs
    Free Member

“Bell Huey.. best helicopter noise. Ever.”

From experience or the movies? If the latter, then you forgot about Airwolf.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I was wondering what was going on with the helicopters over the mendips yesterday at mid day. Couple of passenger/VIP ones and an Apache.

The Mendips that are just up the road from the Augusta Westland Helicopter factory at Yeovil….those Mendips?

atlaz
    Free Member

Those make the best “moar power!” noises around.

Once got to be near a low-speed pass from a Korean war jet fighter. Loudest thing I’ve ever heard. Made my insides rattle.

dobo
    Free Member

seems to be an increase in chopper activity around winchester way. regularly see helicopters round where i live with some chinooks and some other helicopters. one of them is a fair bit quieter compared to others and flys a lot lower around the verge of the field. i’ll have to get some pictures for you lot to ID it.

willard

The _BEST_ noise from anything has to be a low pass by an SR71 Blackbird. Had one once at the Mildenhall airshow when I was a kid and I swear the ground was jumping a foot and a half with the pure sound of it. Burners on, fire coming out the back, it had to go to Paris to turn around.

Helos are good, but I got terrible flashbacks to Apocalypse Now when I was working in Germany once. The mountain rescue Huey came in to drop a customer off and I got the full whop-whop-whop experience as it came into the landing pad the other side of the grass to my lab.

onehundredthidiot

Longbows not Apaches. Radar is the difference.

willard

Apache Longbows… Both are AH-64s, the Longbow version with the MMW radar dome is the D model though, rather than the A version without.

morgs
    Free Member

I thought the BAAC uses the AH-64K?

smogmonster

A single Chinook? Pah, i raise you 3 Chinooks flying formation with 6 Apaches practicing quick landing/take offs about 1/2 a mile from my house last summer. Great sight and some serious whacka whacka whacka noises going on. I live next to Catterick Garrison..its a Helicopter Nerds wet dream around here.

beaker

It seems Renton and I are in the same little bit of paradise. I’m enjoying seeing these buzzing about…

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcTDwJcO_os[/video]

renton
    Free Member

Beaker whereabouts are you working bud??

rOcKeTdOg

last got buzzed by one in Dorset in 09

cockchop by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

beaker

Renton, I’m no longer a blue suit…. I’m out here working on communications kit.

renton
    Free Member

ah ok fair one, I dont suppose its yourself who is bimbling around on the surly singlespeed then??

Im based up at JHF(A) if you are ever around this way !!

beaker

No, I’m afraid that’s not me. I’ll keep a lookout for it though. You’ll find me in the compound with the massive golf ball in it.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Chinook!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.