Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Child Carriers – Rucksack Style
  • Shandy
    Free Member

I am looking for a child carrier, backpack type. It needs to be as comfortable as possible and have good storage space. Sun/Rain covers are a big priority as it'll be getting used in the rainy UK and then in the Alps this summer.

I have been looking at this Deuter and this Macpac. Any pointers or comments from those with experience would be great.

Thanks

mrvear
    Free Member

I used to use a LittleLife carier. It had a sun shade and rain cover and lots of storage space. There was also a very handy detachable small rucksack which zipped on the back. Used it with both my kids, last time I used it my little girl was 2 and a half stone and there was no complaints. I would highly recommend them. Also you can adjust the distance between the shoulder straps and the waist strap which made for a very comfortable fit for both me and the missus. Was like this one http://www.littlelife.co.uk/html/child_carriers/voyager-s2.html but older version.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

storage space, you will regret having when your baby grows into a 15KG monster.

We have 2 Littlelife carriers because they had the comfiest and easiest to adjust back system of all the brands we tested.

Top tips:

Always carry a mirror in your pocket so you can check on your little one, its great for playing peekaboo as well.

DO NOT let them sleep for long in the carrier, the neck pillows and face protection pads do not provide enough support in our experience, checking in the mirror to find a limp, blue faced baby was not fun.

mangoridebike

I've got the Deuter one, its great, v comfortable, just like a large rucksack really. Its quite bulky though, the amount of support it has is what makes it so comfortable, however it means it doesn't squash flat when not in use. My son has been riding around in it since he was 1.5, he's now 3 and still loves it, I reckon he'll be comfy in it for a few more years as well. Its got good storage space under the seat, and the capability for adding a hydration bladder as well.

sizewise both my wife (5'4") and I (6') have used it comfortably, although my son is too heavy for her to carry him like that now for long. happy to answer any other questions you may have.

mangoridebike

a quick response to ballsofcottonwools point , in the Deuter the storage space is reduced as you lower the seat to fit the child as it grows. it quite clever really, as it ensures that you don't become too top heavy.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

We've got a Macpac and its excellent. Very well made and really durable. We got ours from Cotswold outdoors discount place in N Wales which made the cost a little more bearable.

Pointers i'd make are that you should try them on. The Little Life are very good as noted but they just don't suit my back even though they are adjustable. On the other hand, our Macpac doesen't suit out friends who have a Dueter because it fits his back.

Also try and get one which can be washed easily and folded down.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

This ones a beauty . . .

antigee

walking poles are good for walking on rough ground and getting over stiles
    balance is hard and falling not an option

Shandy
    Free Member

Thanks very much everyone. I will definitely be using a set of poles. I am going for the storage as I enjoy a bit of physical suffering, wheras my wife does not. I am happy to carry everything and let her enjoy a nice leisurely walk.

I have a Cotswold handy, I will look for somewhere that stock the Deuter and the LittleLife, I am quite broad shouldered and I find some packs a wee bit narrow across the shoulder straps.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I've got the Deuter one and would agree with mangobikeride's comments.

I don't think you would go wrong with anything from Deuter, Macpac or Littlelife. The most important thing is whether it's comfortable on your back. The wee sods get heavy after a couple of hours. Chuck a rope or something in it when you try them. Or your kid if it's to hand.

beamers

I have the MacPac one on your hyperlink.

It is fantastic. Very, very comfortable (I'm 6ft1 and opted for the longer back version) and the nipper loves it too.

Word of caution though – make sure you wrap you baby up nice and warm when they are inside it as they do not have the same amount of warmth and protection that a pushcair / buggy provides.

The Beamlet was fine in a snowsuit inside the carrier during the recent cold weather that we have been having.

brassneck

I have both a little Littlelife and a larger capacity (luggage space) one with all the trimmings (a rep lived locally, we got some last years models very very cheap) – bot have been excellent, no complaints.

Both our boys have slept in them without pillows or the like, and prefer them to being in a buggy when out walking.

Second wrapping them up warm – you'll be allright in a t shirt lugging them aroung though!

verses

I used a Vaude Jolly Comfort one (older version of this).

Daughter loved it, it had a reasonable amount of storage for bottles, toys, nappies, etc as well as sun visor and rain cover attachments.

molgrips
    Free Member

I really favoured the Macpac one as it had a few good points. It comes with a collar to stop LO's head lolling about like many but in the Macpac version it can be mounted in front or behind, depending on which way your LO's head tends to lol. Also it has a brilliant back system – was instantly comfortable – and also it's very easily adjustable length for me and the missus.

chriswilk
    Free Member

When I was looking there were some on Ebay made by a German company (can't remember name) that looked very good quality, similar to top of the range Macpac, etc. but came in at only about 60 quid including all the extras. Didn't get one as a mate donated his to me…

st

We used the top of the raneg Bush Baby one, can't remember the name but it was ace, if quite pricey.

Loads of features and well made, pity my back wasn't up to the job!

toys19
    Free Member

We have this Vaude Comfort Butterfly, although its not the cheapest price here. Its quite a bit of kit and good for pretty small to larger kids (who can walk perfectly well but cant do the distance). Came with fun hood full on rain cover has feet straps, a big-ish storage area and another rucksack that can be strapped on the back for more storage.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Child Carriers – Rucksack Style’ is closed to new replies.