Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Child benefit and tax code – advice please
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Just received my new tax code for 2015/2016 today and I’ve got a reduction on my allowance due to child benefit.

If my wife was to stop receiving the benefit and I inform the HMRC would the code change or are they recouping last year through next years code?

Been on the phone to them and had 2 different answers in the same conversation.

Thanks

stumpyjon

You should only have a reduction in your tax allowance based upon you filling out a tax return and electing to pay any outstanding tax through your code. As far as I am aware they do not recoup this years child benefit over payments through your current code.

alibongo001

Basically you have a choice

1, Accept the child allowance and pay it back at the end of the year (in full if higher rate taxpayer)

2, Don’t accept child allowance – avoid the repayment, but if your income drops below a certain amount (60k i think) you cannot retrospectively claim the child allowance

Hope this helps (IANAA)

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

so basically next years code is recouping this years credits, so if we stop them in March I could avoid self assessment next year?

paladin

or are they recouping last year through next years code?

I think it’d be this.

I don’t think you can opt out of child benefit now, can you?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Child benefit and tax code – advice please’ is closed to new replies.