Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Chickenpox and children
  • SaxonRider

Some of my kids have not yet had chickenpox. The oldest of them is approaching 7. Is it normal to get to that age without having them?

I ask because a friend of mine got chickenpox when he was 18, and suffered terribly because it was so late.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t think so.

I had it in my early 20’s, it wasn’t that bad. Adults can get complications, but then so can children.

loddrik
    Free Member

My youngest got it at 3 and my oldest at 7. Eldest suffered far more as a result. I got it at 32. I can’t describe how horrendous it was. About a month I was housebound. I used to spend several hours a day sitting in the bath with the water running constantly as hot as I could bear it as it was the only way I could get relief. Still got scars all over my body from them. Got quite a few pics showing how bad I had it. Luckily we didn’t have a digital camera then so I don’t have to inflict the images on you all.

SaxonRider

I got it at 32. I can’t describe how horrendous it was.

This is the sort of thing that I have heard. It’s why I wouldn’t mind if the kids got it now.

benp1

2 kids, one 5, one just about to be 4

They don’t seem to catch it, we’ve been around kids that have it but it was obviously too late by that point, they weren’t contagious

We’re going to pay for the vaccination. More expensive, but less painful all round!

spacemonkey

Monkey jnr got it at 2yrs old. Lathered him in Virasoothe and he was right as rain.

My brother had it bad in his 20s, immediately after which my mum went down big time with shingles.

SaxonRider

We’re going to pay for the vaccination. More expensive, but less painful all round!

Didn’t know there was one. Hmm. That’s an idea.

Shred
    Free Member

I thought I had it as a kid. My sister had it, all my friends did, but I guess I didn’t.

My kids got it on a holiday, as we got home I came down with it at age 33. It was NOT a pleasant experience. I basically had a few days that are completely blank as I was out of it. I probably should have gone to the hospital as I was just waking up every now and then to have a drink and take some paracetamol, but when I woke up I normally had no idea what was going on.

Not much fun.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Back in the day when my kids where small (20 years ago) general view was to take kids round to infected friends so they could get it ! Disease Can leave scars of course. If vacinated you can ask for it on back/shoulder blade as scar maybe less obvious than on the arm (I think that was “the pox” vaccination not sure)

As above colleague got it in his 30’s and it was bl00dy painful he said

jam-bo

i didn’t catch it as a child and got it at 21. it sucked big time. as did getting hand, foot & mouth a week later.

my son had it at the age of three and after the initial fever, didn’t seem bother by it too much. virasooth is 10x better than camomile though.

GrahamS

Virasooth? Interesting.

Our two just got the same treatment I got as a lad, chucked in the bath with a big sock full of porridge oats. 😀

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

My middle un has had them three times now!

crankboy
    Free Member

Crankbrat got it earlier this year at 4 years 8 months he seamed to take it in his stride and we had a week off together but he now refers back to it with an obvious fear of getting it again.

Scamper
    Free Member

This year our 4 year old got it, passed it on to his 2 year old sister a few days later, then onto our 2 month old 😕 I believe the youngest may well get it again, as it wasn’t that bad.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I had it twice courtesy of minimees. The first lasted 7 days any barely a rash .. the second 3 months later was skin crawling shoot me now and put me down for 2 days and then 10 days of spottiness.

Best get it over with as there will be no escape if you have minimees later on

scud
    Free Member

i got it at 39 years of age from my (then) 4 year old daughter, she seemed to just get the spots and felt rough for a few days, whereas i was an absolute mess, very few scabs, except for all in my hair, but it was my joints, everyone ached like i had been hit by a bus and i didn’t have an ounce of energy, felt rough as hell.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think I was 10 when I got it, wasn’t too bad

The shingles that flared up last year was less than pleasant

TheDTs
    Free Member

We vaccinated for it at the same time as they had the Meningitis B.
    Once we thought about having it we felt it was hard not to go ahead and do it. you would never forgive yourself would you..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Chickenpox and children’ is closed to new replies.