Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Check out this mud clearance on my Evil Uprising
  • edward2000
    Free Member

New frame, currently building it up… Is this acceptable? I heard it was tight, but seriously!!!

JohnnyPanic

Invisible mud clearance?

edward2000
    Free Member

Ha, linked the pics now

csb

What tyres are they?

zippykona

That won’t last long. At the very least helitape it if there’s room!

edward2000
    Free Member

2.25 geax gomas

I am actually seriously concerned that the frame might get damaged! Are other uprisings like this?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

😯 That tyre looks half worn to me too!

tomhoward

Right wheel size? 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I would return it, looks like a bad design (what a surprise eh!?)

2.25″ isn’t very wide, especially for a long travel bike.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They obviously don’t have mud in Seattle!

ahwiles
    Free Member

hang on, i’ve just dug out me old copy of bs4500 ‘limits and fits’…

i reckon that’s ‘tight as a bastard’

(my road bike has more clearance than that, no kidding)

edward2000
    Free Member

Definitely a 26 inch wheel too.

Bregante

I wouldn’t be happy with that at all.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

That’s what put me off getting one, there’s a good thread on MTBR on the Uprising where tyres and clearances are discussed in detail so you might be able to get something else that gives a bit more clearance.

emac65
    Free Member

That’s just a bit too tight ….

JohnnyPanic

If when your back wheel takes a hit the extra air forced around the tyre will make that contact the frame.

Even with a smaller tyre you’ll need to helitape all the way round the back & sides of those stays where the tyre is close.

1-shed
    Free Member

That is a big bag of wrong.

bigjim

I had a goma and it was quite a tall tyre. You won’t get a 2.25 advantage in there though! I have very little clearance on my yeti and am glad I helitaped the carbon as stones do get dragged through the gap.

Gotama
    Free Member

It’s rubbish. A mate has one and has a conti mountain king in there. Seems to work ok clearance wise, no chance of getting anything big in there though which us stupid given the intended use for the bike. Careful with the pivot bolts as well as the lacquer seems very delicate. They ride incredibly well, just a shame there wasn’t more thought in the design.

wrecker
    Free Member

Didn’t they update the rear because of this?
    If it’s new, send it back.

Gotama
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory also fits fine as well.

chiefgrooveguru

That is just silly. There’d be much more clearance than that if I were to use the 26 dropouts with the 27.5 wheels I have on my Spitfire. A few mates are running those Gomas and they’re not exactly big tyres, on the smaller side of enduro-y ones if anything.

singlesteed
    Free Member

I have tall spikes for tyres atm and have same if not mms more room than that!

Updated rear triangle might be what’s needed.

Tbh I would of asked for a refund the first time you were mianing quite rightly about your Evil uprising.

edward2000
    Free Member

Singlespeed. I sent my first frame back and found a shop which had a frame in stock, so I purchased that one instead.

generallevi
    Free Member

I have an Uprising, have ran it for over a year now. I use 2.3 Hans Dampfs and have similar clearance to you. The bike has been ridden everywhere in all kind of conditions from Muddy UKGE to The Trans Provence and it runs fine. Where other systems have more space to develop a lot of mud, this simply cannot get past the brace so there is actually less build up. 3M taped it from the start and never looked back.

If you send this frame back you will miss out on one of the best rear suspension designs in the 20 years that I have been riding bikes. Also, Evil are now bringing out a new rear triangle which will be made available to customers for free if they have problems, or at cost if they just fancy a change. Every single frame out there will have a quirk, from Santa Cruz’s lower linkage that acts as a rock inviter to the cable routing on the new GT Force/Sensor, it doesn’t mean you should write them off….

In regards to having to use the Evil warranty, since the days of the Revolt they have gone full circle and Luismi, their main man in Madrid has been amazing at helping me out when I smashed my rear triangle on Trans Provence. Even though I had the words biggest rock fly up and crack the chainstay, which you could argue is crash replacement, he had a new one in the post, priority at my house in 48 hrs.

If your worried about the clearance email luismi@evil-bikes.com and he will reassure you and put your mind at rest.

Trust me on this Edward,

All the best,

Lee.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Check out this mud clearance on my Evil Uprising’ is closed to new replies.