Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheaper Things Tuesday: Jackets, Jackets, Jackets…
  • Ben_Haworth

This week’s edition of CTT is a topically-tastic special edition that focuses purely on waterproof jackets. Decent jackets at decent discounts.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Cheaper Things Tuesday: Jackets, Jackets, Jackets…

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

toby

Can anyone point me to which of those options are safe for tumble drying at least for reproofing purposes? Going over waterproof gear with a hairdryer after it’s been through a reproofing wash seems to be one of those jobs that I’ve an irrational dislike of that seems disproportionate to the time / effort actually involved.

Should I just tumble dry my current jacket anyway? It’s an Altura jacket and Endura reproofer…

ETA: Heads up, the text link on the Rockrider All-Mountain Waterproof Jacket links to the one above at Go Outdoors (the teal lozenge link works though).

matt_outandabout

Is it just me, or are waterproof fabrics in most cycling gear lagging behind? It seems that 5k/5k or 10k/10k are ‘normal’ and others even worse. See the Fox 1st in this article that is 10k/3k. Yet most good outdoor brands are now significantly more breathable and more waterproof…?

Also, why black, tarmac grey and petrol colours? Does no-one want to a) have some brightness and joy while riding and b) be more visible when on roads in the manky grey rain?

That Altura Ridge looks good, shame about the colour.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i’d love a bright coloured jacket that washed well, i just got a fox lunar 2.5l in bright yellow, one trip to bpw and the jacket is mud stained in numerous places after a wash

Merak

Been watching alot of (Motocross) Enduro recently. How the hell do these guys get their kit clean?

defblade
    Free Member

Also, why black, tarmac grey and petrol colours? Does no-one want to a) have some brightness and joy while riding and b) be more visible when on roads in the manky grey rain?

This. It’s hard enough finding everyday coats that aren’t blackblackblack (and I gave up on 2 out of my current 3), but cycling stuff should always have an eye (so to speak!) towards visibility. Not just an MTB problem, either – there is so much road specific stuff in black, too… but at least there’s usually a choice of something brighter there!

LAT

dark colours probably sell better than bright, so companies left with less old stock to shift.

that said, i never understand why people ride on the road dressed in black then put a small flashing light on their helmets.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Totally agree re colours.

Re fabrics surely the waterproofing isn’t so important (they are all “waterproof enough “?) It’s breathability that counts?

And DWRs, can’t they make something lasting?

I have bad experience with waterproofs, my last few (2, 2.5 layer) delaminated in a couple of years and I find the DWR lasts no time and I can never get it back well. Basically I don’t really ride in the rain now as it’s miserable (I sweat a lot). Any tips on this appreciated!

matt_outandabout

And DWRs, can’t they make something lasting?

Not since we’ve moved to more environmentally friendly chemicals.

Re fabrics surely the waterproofing isn’t so important (they are all “waterproof enough “?) It’s breathability that counts?

I find that 10k is waterproof, but below that in heavy or driving rain, particularly if you’re active and moving, then it’s barely enough and less = wet.

Breathability agree that things like vents and cut is more important than breathability. However, I noticed that higher/better Gore fabrics noticeably keep you drier on sweaty days.

And RE colours: amazing how many cycling jackets don’t have a few reflective bits either.

BadlyWiredDog

Is it just me, or are waterproof fabrics in most cycling gear lagging behind?

I’d agree that’s generally the case and not just with waterproof stuff, same right across the board compared to top-level outdoor clothing. There are exceptions, 7Mesh, Rapha, Gore, posher DHB, but mostly I think it’s a price thing, plus a lack of perceived demand for better stuff. Plus mountain biking in particular, is really hard on breathability / moisture vapour transfer in particular.

roger_mellie

Also, why black, tarmac grey and petrol colours?

I don’t necessarily want to stand out whilst on the MTB, but for road riding, I quite agree.

Just ordered a Rivelo in orange from Sportpursuit for road riding. I’m hoping the fabric is better than standard DWR (it uses something called 37.5 technology). Once DWR has gone, I can never get it back through ‘re-proofing’. Fingers crossed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.