Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap roadie rain jackets
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a few waterproofs for MTBing/hiking/mucking about but they all have hoods and are either black or grey. I’m planning on doing a lot more road riding this winter to get fit and need something that is cheap (not bothered about breathability), thin and waterproof rather than showerproof (bike marketing speak for “not really waterproof”).

A bright but not gopping colour would also be a benefit, although white is preferred. Any recommendations, especially of expensive jackets that you’ve seen on sale?

Ta!

lunge

Tk Maxx had some Polaris jobs in that were half price, they may be in their website but they see in store in Merry Hill and Brum.

Jase
    Free Member

I recently got the £40 Castelli clear one which isnt bad for the money. Not very breathable but to be expected at the price.

ceepers

Not cheap and obviously their thing is either your cup of tea or not but…… I just picked up a bargain nearly half price rapha rain jacket on ebay, took a while to find and win one.

Its the best road waterproof i’ve tried. super comfy, packs into a pocket, slightly stretchy, great cut and REALLY waterproof. Wouldnt have stretched to full price but it’s well worth £100. I had been using a nice montane pertex one but it’s much better IMO

Worth remembering that it’s gonna last longer than your mtb ones since it wont be arguing with rocks or brambles at all and that being wet and cold is more miserable on a road bike than an mtb.

I think dhb (wiggle) do a fairly cheap good waterproof

butcher

Decathlon do them starting from about a tenner.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Merlin have some Funkier ones which are pretty waterproof and have good vents under arms and a flap on the back. Less that 30 notes I think.

z1ppy

Decathlon’s B’TWIN Rain Jacket 7 Not super cheap (they do others) but lined waterproof and breathable and more importantly has pitzips, IMO the only way to stop a waterproof jacket from becoming excessively sweaty

aP
    Free Member

I have a plastic bag Castelli road jacket which I’ve used on things like the Maratona and in high mountains. Its perfectly fine, keeps the rain and wind off, and packs down really, really small. Its not breathable at all – except for some small vents under the armpits.
    I also have an Endura race jacket which is a bit bigger packed down, but in September kept me dry and warm on the Gran Fondo Prosecco as it rained heavily and consistently for about 4 hours – I was just wearing an undervest, short sleeve jersey and lightweight armwarmers.
    the problem with the rapha jackets is that, although well made etc etc, they don’t have any venting.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I rate the Lusso stuff. Well designed and a British company. I have the windtex jacket which is very good.

Available from Ribble:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/lusso-lusso-jackets-cycle/lusszjac

ceepers

“the problem with the rapha jackets is that, although well made etc etc, they don’t have any venting”

Fair point although it seems pretty breathable so far. I can see it being less good for rain in warmer conditions. I’ve got a £40 endura pakajak which has been great as well although it’s only really showerproof it keeps the wind off, dries quickly and is breathable enough.

Sure i read somewhere that regardless of what the manufacturers claim, nothing thats properly waterproof can be breathable enough to cope with the amount of vapor a body thats working real hard produces. Even with zipped vents theres some kind of compromise.

ceepers

edit: I’d just come in from a hilly 20 miles in driving rain feeling pretty cosy in it, hence my enthusiasm!

TiRed

Not the cheapest, but the Altura Ergofit Racecape is the best lightweigt rain jacket I have tested. It was the only one I could find with taped seams. I rode home 10 miles through biblical rain on Monday night and my top half was still dry when I arrived. I took it off before Saturday’s race – that was a mistake.

It packs down into a tiny ball that will genuinely fit in a back pocket.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap roadie rain jackets’ is closed to new replies.