Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • cheap camera….
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

got some money (in reality max £100) for a camera. i don’t know anything about cameras, and i’m not a big photographer. just want something for the odd ride, night out and holiday/travel.

i want it to run on AA batteries, as when i go travelling i DON’T want to carry a charger around – i’d rather spend money on a new set of batteries from a shop (and when i’m in the uk use rechargables anyway). having seen the size of the chargers for canon and panasonic cameras today, there is no way i want them.

my sis is into cameras, and she is trying to get me to spend more, up to £150 – her reason being that they have wide angle lenses. i’m pretty sure i’ve not had that before, and i’ve not often found myself wanting more. so, imo, i’d rather not spend an extra 50 quid for one.

now, i’m off on holiday on sunday, and i’d like a camera before then, so i’m kinda thinking that internet shopping will take too long. went to dundee today and couldn’t find any decent camera shops, and st andrews only has argos.

seen this for fifty quid at argos – its half my budget, runs on AAs, and i can get it tomorrow.

is there anything vastly wrong with it??? its got more megapixels than my last camera (a canon powershot somethingorother from abot 2004 i think), so is it safe to assume that the pics will be good enough quality?? i’d obviously rather not go backwards in picture quality, but it is 5 yrs later…

any other AA based cameras, which are under 100 quid, and significantly better???
    sorry for long post!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

AAs are the worst batteries 🙁

justa
    Free Member

my Panasonic FX-50 in the classifieds ?

miles better than that !

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Canon Powershot A470 – not a bad camera, but no viewfinder and display will eat batteries while you compose

tomzo
    Free Member

Agree with simonfbarnes, AA battery camera’s, in my experience, are rubbish. Complete false economy and you camera will last so much longer on a proper lithium battery. My nikon p5100 lasted for a wholes weeks holiday, over 400 pictures before it died. And the charger was small, especially compared to those humongous AA battery chargers.

For the money, probably be tempted by http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-IXUS-80-Camera/dp/B0012ZEDV4

tomzo
    Free Member
    dooge
    Free Member

agree with tomzo on the batteries bit. A decent camera with a lithium battery should last around 150 images, if not more before worrying about charging. that depends on useage, but they are generally better.

If you are still set on the idea, the canon powershot a2000 or for a bit more than £150, the canon sx110 IS.

MrNutt
    Free Member

go film!! you can pick up a really good old SLR for £100.00, take some real photos and get real prints! 8)

geoffj

Ricoh Caplio GX100 can use the rechargeable or a couple of AAs. Other Ricohs maybe the same – worth a look and best/worst of both worlds potentially.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

wil have a proper read after the pub, but some interesting stuff.
    i’ve always done ok with AAs, only use decent ones mind. i tend to travel light, so chargers are a real hassle – even my mp3 player runs off AAAs.

thanks again, will look again post pub 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A decent camera with a lithium battery should last around 150 images

My D300 will do about 1000 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

had another look. i really can’t spend more than 100, as i’ve still got memory and a case to buy. and as i don’t carry an AA battery recharger when i’m travelling (i just buy new ones) i avoid carrying any charger with me while im away. if the chargers were more like mobile phone ones, whereby you just plug the camera in as a whole, ratyher than there beig a carrier for the battery which is removed, i’d be more tempted.
    however, they just don’t fit my needs.

if the a470 is a reasonable (if cheap and relatively old) camera, i think i’ll go with that.

🙂

shreck
    Free Member

Argos are doing a samsung one 13mp just under £100.

geoffj

The A470 looks ok to me Trusted Reviews Review

Argos are doing it in red for £50!

grumm
    Free Member

Nice mincey pink canon ixus 80 for £100? http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=67030&source=froogle

edit: oops that didn’t include VAT

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks everyone, decided to go with the cheap canon – means i can buy a case, some memory and a new razor within my 100 quid 🙂

ski
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

Ricoh Caplio GX100 can use the rechargeable or a couple of AAs. Other Ricohs maybe the same – worth a look and best/worst of both worlds potentially.

I thought they took 2xAAA Geoff, or is there a adapter for AA?

Great camera though, got a GRD-1 which is the fixed wide angle lens version, keep it on me all the time.

If you can find one for £100-150 notes? well worth checking out.

geoffj

ski – AAA or AA can’t remeber which. I just know I thought it was one and then looked and noticed it was tother 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘cheap camera….’ is closed to new replies.