Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Charlie Kelly has issue 2 of MOONT
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

If I had published in Scotland I probably would have called it the Fat Tyre Flier.

i’d have gone fat tyre fryer 😉

this is one of the best threads for ages; great to see an insight in to the early transatlatic relations of mtb. 🙂 thanks all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

FH – in 1990 we got yellow and black tartan team kit, and at least one guy wore a joke tam o shanter, and we were at those grundigs.

fasthaggis

Ha ha ha , Brilliant Al.
    The days of Masseeef helmet covers and Phil Liggett giving out the raffle prizes.
    🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Brilliant Charlie.

I noticed in FTF2 there was the fide report from this.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDUe9BFPrzg[/video]

Many of the early Moont rides were along these lines too. The reintroduction of sausages grilled over a camp fire have been missing for too ling on our rides.

Garry_Lager

Did M Earrey ever publish the book he refers to in his letter? Be good to see a trail book from the old days.

leffeboy

Was there not a competition at Bonally where we had sausages? Sausages should be part of every ride – new roolz

Kevevs
    Free Member

what a cool thread! Thanks for this, interesting stuff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t want to be known as a sausage swallower 😮

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Was there not a competition at Bonally where we had sausages? Sausages should be part of every ride – new roolz

Aye, snags and nae helmets. The leisure sport of the 80’s was as yet unrealised.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is that Jeff?

shandcycles
    Free Member

I have a typed manuscript copy of Mike’s book. No idea why I have it or where it came from. Seem to remember it being copied in the photocopier in Rob’s basement.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is that Jeff?

Aye

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

“MOONT was a homespun bike mag/flyer produced by among others still on here, Leffeboy, Italspark, CynicAl and myself. “

Anybody know if Wallace Gilbraith is still on the go then?

cynic-al
    Free Member

He’s alive AFAIK!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Anybody know if Wallace Gilbraith is still on the go then?

Aye, Wol is up in Scone, working as an acupuncturist. Not seen him out on his bike for years. Last saw him at Kevin Dangerous’s wedding.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I suppose acupuncture is preferable to the quantity surveying he trained for right enough.

Signed

A Quantity Surveyor

leffeboy

While hunting for any old Moont stuff I came across this. It’s an article about Arthur Philips who originally set up the mountain biking at Glentress when he retired from SAI (iirc). No date unfortunately.

linkie for bigger image

DezB
    Free Member

fab stuff guys 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Leffeboy, I remember going down with Phil & Rob to check out potential trails with Arthur. He took us up to top of the Minchmoor Road in his V8 110. The guy was a visionary. I think Karen did some guiding for him when he first started out. It was just before her father was killed on his bike and they went off on those crazy kayak trips to Tasmania and NZ.

I don’t think she guided wearing her anti midge gear as seen here on the shores of Loch Etive.

EDIT I have a pic somewhere of the guy in the press cutting, he rode with us a couple of times wearing a miners helmet, complete with headlamp.

Bunnyhop

Just brilliant 🙂

leffeboy

Found another – an old race report from Peebles ‘back in the day’. Loving Cannondales being described as ‘space age’. Apologies for the size but wanted to make the text legible. Mcmoonter – can you date this?

Full image

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mcmoonter – can you date this?

I think it must be ’87.

IIRC this was a part of a qualifying series for a place on the GB team for the first world (European) championships. I can’t remember if they were held in Italy or France. I have a feeling Dear Carlton (is this a record) Reid was there too.

Does anyone know if Ray Willings from Stirling back then is still riding? He won a place in the team.

Ken Eichstaedt and Chris Shaw rode the Worlds that year too. 1st two guys on the left. This pic was from the first race in the series at the top of the Michmoor Road.

Ken from Olema in Marin, thought he’d catch the train up from London to Edinburgh, ride down, race and ride back. We insisted he come with us, 3 in the front of a Mini pickup to Traquair. A frenzied drive back to Waverly saw us drive onto the platform to the guards van with a second to spare before the guard blew his departure whistle.

Chris had met Ken in San Francisco when he worked as a bicycle messenger. An amazingly cool and inspirational mellow rider. He worked briefly as a frame builder for Chas Roberts before he was killed while out training on his bike for a Grundig race at Aviemore.

Me, Leffeboy, and Mike Earrey are in the pic too.

italspark
    Free Member

ive got all the copies of Moont and mikes manuscipt somewhere in the hoose ….if only i could find them !

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Charlie Kelly has issue 2 of MOONT’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM