Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • changing from 9 speed to 10
  • alvinrobinson
    Free Member

hi guys, im looking to change from 9 speed to 10 (shimano to shimano) on my cube 2013 mtb, ive been looking online and it all seems quite straight forward the only thing im confused about is weather the cassette will fit without issues, i was led to believe the 9 and 10 speed cassettes were the same width, but a friend has put doubt in my mind saying i need spacers ect, the only info i can find online fefers to older bikes or road bikes! anyone have any ideas?
    many thanks

iain65
    Free Member

They are the same width, direct swap – no problem.

alvinrobinson
    Free Member

cool, thanks very much 🙂

oliverracing

I’m pretty sure 10 speed cassettes are slightly narrower, but most either come with a spacer or have one integrated – I had a 10 speed cassette fitted sans spacer no problem for about 3 months before realized what the piece of plastic is my spares box was!

alvinrobinson
    Free Member

there isnt a spacer in the box so i assume i wont need one, many thanks for your help

iain65
    Free Member

The 9 and 10 speed MTB cassettes are the same, I think it’s the shimano road cassettes that are different, the 10 speed needing a 1 mm spacer. I swap between 9 and 10 regularly on wheels used on different bikes in my family with no problem.

niksnr
    Free Member

I finished my own 1×9 to 1×10 yesterday. Shimano to shimano. Sounds exactly the same. Just fit everything that came in box. No issues here.

alvinrobinson
    Free Member

thats great to know, thanks iain

alvinrobinson
    Free Member

cheers niksnr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘changing from 9 speed to 10’ is closed to new replies.