Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chainline quandary – ECR – XT double crank – Alfine – will it work?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I trying to build up my ECR with a 26t chainring and an 8 speed Alfine hub. A ten speed double XT 785 crank will take the ring. The chainline spec on the crank is listed as 48.8mm. I’m not altogether sure what that dimension is? The centreline between the chainrings from the seat tube? Would I be able to adjust the chainline sufficiently with the BB spacers to get a decent chainline using the above crank?

scotroutes

Flip the cog on the Alfine. That will move the chainline out.

jameso

The centreline between the chainrings from the seat tube

Yes, on a double. ST to middle ring on a triple. The flipped-outward Alfine sprocket sits at 50mm chainline or just over form memory. The outer ring on an XT double is ~53mm, so it should get close enough.

johnners
    Free Member

26t chainring and an 8 speed Alfine hub

Isn’t that way over the torque Shimano recommend? Depends on what wheel size you’re using, but as I remember it they don’t advise a chainring of less than 36 for an 18t cog.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks folks

26t chainring and an 8 speed Alfine hub
    Isn’t that way over the torque Shimano recommend? Depends on what wheel size you’re using, but as I remember it they don’t advise a chainring of less than 36 for an 18t cog.

I’m a crank spinner rather than a masher. I just want a good low spinny climbing gear. When that runs out I’m a happy pusher 😀

johnners
    Free Member

Well, the best of luck to you. I run 39/18 on a Cross-Check, that gives a low gear roughly equivalent to a compact 34:27, which is a decently low gear for climbing, though when wear forces a new rear I’ll be putting a 20 on. I know I’d be looking to go lower on anything fat! I’ve read the odd scare story about them imploding but on the other hand I did see this over on an American forum which was a lot more upbeat!

I run an Alfine 8 on my Moonlander with 26×23 gearing. I’m 220lbs and can exceed 600W in 1 min bursts and 300W for 5 mins. It’ll last if you don’t shift under load, using ATF for lube helps with shifting esp in the cold.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

“I run an Alfine 8 on my Moonlander with 26×23 gearing. I’m 220lbs and can exceed 600W in 1 min bursts and 300W for 5 mins. It’ll last if you don’t shift under load, using ATF for lube helps with shifting esp in the cold.”

I doubt if I could generate enough watts to make a 40w light bulb glow.

scotroutes

I’ve run an Alfine 11 on my fatbike with a 2x, 36/24 crank up front. I’m not even going to take a stab at how far that is from Shimanos recommendation 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chainline quandary – ECR – XT double crank – Alfine – will it work?’ is closed to new replies.