• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by MS.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Chain – The Cleaning of…
  • Solo
    Free Member

Hi.

I wonder if the STW collective would be so kind as to recommend to me, the preferred chain cleaner device and bio-degradeable chain cleaner fluid.

Thanks in advance.

😀

Solo

warton
    Free Member

personally water and fairy liquid, good rinse, wipe off and oil…

nickc

Old jam jar with lid, fill with white spirits, chain in, shakey shakey, chain out, wipey wipey, chain on, lube of choice…

barrykellett
    Free Member

oil it with rock and roll lube regularly to keep it clean and shiney and more importantly – lubed

Solo
    Free Member

Thanks to all, some amusing comments. Keep'em coming.

At the moment I'm considering a park-tools chain cleaning device and just using Muck-Off.

I'm just wondering if there are more effective cleaning devices out there and whether there is something better than muck-off for cleaning chains, biodegradeable, of course.

Ta

🙂

Solo.

uplink
    Free Member

barrykellett gave you the best suggestion

No need to clean chains to keep them all shiny

jonathan
    Free Member

Never found devices to be brilliant, but they're certainly OK, especially if you don't want to take hte chain off the bike.

My routine is:
    1 chain off
    2 into tub of Finish Line citrus degreaser
    3 shake about
    4 leave whilst I clean the rest of the bike
    5 brush clean in warm water and washing-up liquid
    6 rinse
    7 dry
    8 re-fit
    9 lube

bowglie

I use an old jam jar & Finish Line 'Eco Tec' or undiluted Fenwicks. Dead easy if you use SRAM powerlinks – whip the chain off, put it in the jar and give it a good shake. If you're a stingy b****r like me, you can leave the grime to settle in the bottom of the jar, then decant the 'almost clean' (cough) degreaser into another jar to re-use.

jim
    Free Member

Are you meant to clean your chain?

marsdenman
    Free Member

i've recently done the 'white spirit in a jar' trick, refitted and liberally applied the Squirt wax lube which got the thumbs up in the last issue (50)… the lube reportedly does not gunk things up on re-application so less frequent cleanage required…
    Time will tell…

marsdenman
    Free Member

i've recently done the 'white spirit in a jar' trick, refitted and liberally applied the Squirt wax lube which got the thumbs up in the last issue (50)… the lube reportedly does not gunk things up on re-application so less frequent cleanage required…
    Time will tell…

DezB
    Free Member

uplink – Member
    barrykellett gave you the best suggestion
    No need to clean chains to keep them all shiny

Do what? So oil over the top of the grit and crap that is on the chain after a filthy ride? Or is this Rock'n'Roll lube the magical elixir that keeps chains totally clean?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a 3-roller chain cleaning device that I got from SJS Cycles ebay shop for about £3. It's fine, although the chain does get some proper TLC occasionally as well.

DezB
    Free Member

As BD – I think I got mine from Edinburgh Cycles in their sale. If it's been left a while I use white spirit and a toothbrush (an old one)

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

As my grandmother said, before she stormed her fourth German machine gun nest in Stalingrad.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing properly…

She really did.

*not really*

Solo
    Free Member

Bowglie, what a gem of a post, loving that one.

Likewise for Jim.

So, it would seem that if I am to insist on getting every bit of rubbish out of my chain, I'm better off with a brush, a bucket and some Fenwicks.

I'm happy for more comments, but my thanks to you all.

Its much appreicated.

😀

Solo.

uplink
    Free Member

Or is this Rock'n'Roll lube the magical elixir that keeps chains totally clean?

Pretty much, yes
    you give the chain a wipe before putting more on though

nickc

WWJR you can be sure there are people who probably use that very method, and are cursing us all for being lazy worthless layabouts…

DezB
    Free Member

I guess Sheldon had a light day on March 31st 2007! 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

WWJR. Thats fantastic !. 2 hours riding, 2 weeks cleaning.

Not sure thats the right ride to clean ratio for me.

But I'd have never believed it if I hadn't have seen it. Cheers 🙂

Yeah, perhaps cleaning devices for intermediate chain-servicing with the occassional chain off, brush and bucket every now and again.

Solo.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Fit Powerlink in your chain if you haven't got one already.

My post-ride chain cleaning drill:

remove chain
    place in old bike bottle with diluted fenwicks
    fit cap/lid and shake thoroughly
    leave to stand
    clean the rest of the bike
    go back to bottle and shake thoroughly again
    empty and dispose of old fenwicks and retrieve chain from bottle
    rinse chain
    spray with gt85/wd40
    leave to dry
    refit to bike
    apply clean chainlube

A good tip is to rejoin the chain with the powerlink while it's off the bike to avoid instantly losing said powerlink by hosing it down the drain. The only downside is you'll spend about 5 minutes trying to remove the seemingly impossible loops that have formed in the chain before admitting defeat and unlinking the powerlink, only to rejoin and have them instantly reappear.

Lionheart
    Free Member

We have tried about every approach and I though I had heard them all but at the national Champs over the weekend I met someone who does not oil his chain with anything! No oil, no wax, I asked if it goes rusty, he said a little (and sure enough – next day race day the plates had a dusting of orange) but rides it to keep clean, and by the end of a muddy race – no rust! he then cleaned it all off again with water. I asked if they only lasted a month or so but seem his last longer than ours. I can run out of oil on the chain on a good ride, resulting in squeeks and poor shfting etc so I still dont know how his works!!??

To clean a chain much as above, though often nowadays wipe the chain down, oil to clean it, then oil to oil it and remove excess, all done on the bike.

Solo
    Free Member

You're a great bunch, my thanks to you all. Theres lots of advice here for me to consider now.

Ta.

8)
    Solo.

mcboo
    Free Member

I feel strangeley inadequate in the face of you lot and your dedication to chain cleanness. Here's what I do

Take an old rag
    Make rag a bit wet with H20
    Turn bike upside down
    Remove wheels
    Take rag in hand, grip the chain like i'm squeezing Simon Cowells throat.
    Turn cranks
    Apply lube

You need to do it after pretty much every ride otherwise the gunk builds up but I've never even thought about removing the chain for cleaning.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Helfrauds do a citus degreaser that is good. I have used one of those 3 roller chain cleaners but came to the conclusion that it actually took longer than taking the chain off.

However recently I have changed to using putoline motorcycle chain wax. You just chuck the dry manky chin in the tim and melt the wax – it comes out clean and well lubed with all the grit in the bottom of the can.

The lube lasts far longer than cycle lubes and is so much cheaper.

I won't be going back to cycle lubes

avdave2

Wash off mud if necessary.
    Wipe with rag.
    Reapply GT85 to each link.

Just changed the chain after 3 years. Bike is also used as a commuter all year round and the last year that's been off road. I only changed the chain because the Rohloff was due an oil change and I thought it would be a good chance to change the rear sprocket.

Amazing that we sit here today exactly 40 years after man first landed on the moon and no one has a definitive answer to this question, we all only have our own experience to go on.

glenp
    Free Member

Search the forum for lots of similar threads – try searching chain degreasing.

I never degrease my chain, or clean it at all in fact. I just dry lube with boring old cheap old GT85 before every ride and my chains last longer than any of my ride mates. Everyone will now disagree with me, despite never having tried my (non) method.

Washing chains is at least not any better for chain life, and at worst actually knackers your chain. And is a lot of bother and expense.

MS
    Free Member

Got a finish line chain cleaner. Fill with cheap washing up liquid (asda price etc) run through that, Then take a small piece of sponge and just wipe the chain while spinning the cranks. Rinse off, Done!

People that say that it shortens the life of it, cant really see why it would do that if you give it a nice lube up after. Means you get all the crap off the chain, saving a bit of wear on rings and cassette imo.
    Plus shiny chain looks the beez neez! 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Chain – The Cleaning of…’ is closed to new replies.