Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chain shortening..good or bad?
  • Moonhead
    Free Member

Bit of a noob question probably but any advice would be much appreciated.

Snapped my chain hoofing it round Lee Quarry on Sunday. Bit of a bummer as I only bought the bike on Saturday.

My question is, will the chain (Shimano, bog standard from what I can tell) be OK to ride with one less link? Any adverse effect to shifting etc? It seems OK but I’m planning a trip round Dalby on the weekend and could do with out more chain errors!

I intend to upgrade the cassette and use an Sram chain with the quick link when funds allow but maybe I need to buy a replacement link if a shorter chain is a bad idea.

Many thanks.

MS
    Free Member

No real problem but will depend on the length of the chain in the first place. It may mean you cant get into some gears (Big – Big).

Moonhead
    Free Member

Ah I see…cheers MS

Simon

It should be fine.

You can use Sram Power links with Shimano chains.

Moonhead
    Free Member

Cheers Simon, I didn’t know you could use the power links on Shimano chains, thats good to know!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Waste of money to replace either chain or cassette before they are worn.

Moonhead
    Free Member

@ cynic-al I totally agree with that hence my efforts to repair and my asking advice here. I will use use the components I have paid for as long as they will last. However if these components are total junk and cause more problems that necessary what choice do I have? All I can say is that I didn’t expect to have this on a 2 day old orange 5s!

leebaxter
    Free Member

At a guess your chain would probs have been to long anyway. Most are.

snowpaul
    Free Member

sounds like a badly joined chain – spoken to bike shop?

paul

ahwiles
    Free Member

i like my chains as tight as i can get them, plus 1 link for fixability.

colande
    Free Member

just a query
    but how did you rejoin your chain?
    as I know it you can’t/shouldn’t rejoin a 9 speed chain unless using a shimano connector pin or a sram quicklink

DT78
    Free Member

Hardtail or full suss? I had a spate of chain snapping on my nomad, bit of googling shows that vpp suspension design can suffer something like 2.5cm chain growth (if memory serves me right…) Put on a chain with an extra 2.5cm and no chain breaks since, though it;s noiser now…

On my hardtail I go as tight as poss, should never ride in big/big anyways.

Moonhead
    Free Member

@ colande I borrowed a friends bike tool kit. It had a standard chain tool so I used that. I removed the damaged link and re connected the chain. My worry is that this repair only serves to weaken the chain in addition to any effects of using a shorter chain.

@ DT78 It’s a full sus. 1 day old Orange 5s. I’ve been riding a Giant trance x4 09 for a while without issue and before that 10 years on hardtails. It’s interesting that vpp suspension design can suffer something like a 2.5cm, chain growth. If this is the case it sounds like a shorter chain could be under more stress?

Taking into account the replies from DT78 and colande it might be a better idea to invest in a decent chain that I can still use with the existing cassette…given I’ve done just a few miles on it.

Thank you for your advice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chain shortening..good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.