Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Chain Guides….. It's a new concept to me..
  • Potdog
    Free Member

So I've decided that it's time to loose the big ring and go for a double and bash set-up as it's very rare the big un gets used other than for catching rocks that are thrown up on the trails here. So it's double and bash time for me. But, I want to fit a chain guide with this to save the chain dropping off with the rough terrain all the time. So do chain guides work with a double and bash set up? Or do I need something different, i.e. a chain tensioner or something? I'm just a bit confused after perusing the pages of CRC etc and seeing all the different options.

Cheers all.

thomthumb
    Free Member

some do.

e13 drs is the favourite or a blakspire stinger is cheaper.

drs in the classifieds right now (not mine)

soobalias
    Free Member

you wont get a more correct answer than that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Does the chain fall off a lot already?

Once you lose the big ring you might be able to shorten the chain a bit and the bashguard might help keep the chain on better anyway.

I've certainly never felt the need for one, think my chain came off once in a very bumpy weekend in the Lakes recently.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Surely a new large ring (oooer) once a year or so* is cheaper than the bash guard approach during the life of the bike, and what's more you can use a large ring, whilst a bash is never able to be used.
    On an XC bike, it's just fashion surely?
    Just baiting a bit, but interested in oppinions as lots of folk going the double route.
    And as for chain dropping, if it's OK now, losing a ring isn't going to make it any worse surely?

Andy

* Happily riding with XT big ring missing teeth at the moment thanks to rock interface error.

Northwind

I just removed the big ring and replaced it with nothing at all… Just occasionally the hemlock drops the chain while riding, I'm not sure if it's because of the tension varying with the suspension, or the fact that I ride it faster, or maybe I just haven't adjusted it as well. The Soul basically never does it, the chain comes off sometimes mid-crash or when lifting and dropping the bike but not in motion.

Agreed that bashrings are largely fashion, but I never used the big ring and so the 36T gives me better clearance and the empty space where the big ring was is lighter 😉 I've got a lightweight bash for one bike which I'll fit some day, but it's not often I ground out the 36T anyway.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I've just gone to double & bash – Got a soul and found during some rough stuff the chain drops off occasionally which is annoying, I also find that it drops into the granny ring accidentally but I think that is my thumb knocking the shifter rather than anything else.

I've swapped the big for a bash as I only really used it on the road and that was like once a month at best and plus when I came off I've had too many calf / big ring moments and this just makes me less worried about it.

I'd like to get a chain device but gonna see how I get on with this first – but this doesn't really answer your question does it…

Bagstard
    Free Member

Is it just me who can't stand the crash and rattle of riding without a chain guide? 1×9 with LG1 on all my bikes, but the first reply answered your question.

ononeorange

Happy Big-Ring user here (ooo-errrr, indeed)

scruff
    Free Member

Bash rings are good. Drop the big ring, shorten chain, fit shorter cage rear mech if gear combo's allow, much better shifting and less chain droppage. Big rings are just for cissy jey boys riding fireroads 😯

Bushwacked
    Free Member

How do you know if you can fit a shorter rear mech or not?

soobalias
    Free Member

swapped big ring (44t) for bash & 36t.

lost the top two gears.
    alu bash will not bend, wear out or stab me in the leg/head
    lost the long rear mech for a med (short on one bike)
    gained ground clearance
    front mech adjustment is easier.
    lost a section of chain
    added a dual ring chain guide.

the chain guide is not really needed on my xc rides, but might as well have it on as leave it in the garage – my frame, wheels, tyres already prohibit me being a weight weenie.

other than the "ooo its just a fashion thing" backlash, i cant see a downside

each to their own tho eh?

BoardinBob

Looking at the Blackspire Stinger myself and a bashguard. I never use the big ring and the trails I ride most are really rough and the sound of the chain rattling around drives me mad plus I do catch the big ring on logs, roots and rocks a lot. Stinger, bashguard and etype BB for about £50.

thomthumb
    Free Member

How do you know if you can fit a shorter rear mech or not?

it's to do with the total capacity of the system ie. biggest combo minus smallest combo.

more info here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailleur.html

scruff
    Free Member

Shorter rear mech- you can also have a guess.

firestarter
    Free Member

i cant see how you drop the chain in a double set up any more than a triple. A guide seems pretty pointless to me.

soobalias
    Free Member

bobinboard,

its a bit swings and roundabouts, less noise from the chain bouncing around, but there is a bit more friction (you can hear/feel the chain over the roller) and occassionally some rub from the chain guide plate

not an issue going downhill fast, moreso grinding away in granny.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Went double and bash last year with 36t middle ring. Took a couple of links out of the chain but kept the long cage mech.

Do lots of very big rocky descents as all my riding is in Highland Scotland and have never dropped the chain once. Unless you do a lot of downhill stylee big jumps and drops, hard to see how it would happen as the bash helps to keep the chain in place.

Unless you are doing proper downhill, having a chain device to do ordinary trails will make you look a right nonce

soobalias
    Free Member

dont see how a bash keeps the chain on any better than a big ring!

scruff
    Free Member

Shorter chain.

tracknicko
    Free Member

well you cant ride in the bash ring, so it cant fall off the outside can it???

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

dont see how a bash keeps the chain on any better than a big ring!

It doesn't. Point is that if you don't have a big ring, the bashguard does the same job.

Northwind

firestarter – "i cant see how you drop the chain in a double set up any more than a triple. A guide seems pretty pointless to me. "

You spend most of your time in the middle ring, right? Especially on descents. But, take away the big ring and don't fit a bash or chain device and now the chain can fall off the outside, which before was impossible. So yup, it can happen more often.

firestarter
    Free Member

northwind i can see that and i can see a bash stopping the chain going over i just cant see the point in the guides tho

BoardinBob

i just cant see the point in the guides tho

Stop's the chain bouncing about as much so less chance of falling off

firestarter
    Free Member

thats what i dont get. i struggle to remember the last time i dropped a chain and if running a double and bash the chain is even shorter . who knows. each to their own, its their money 😉

Northwind

Firestarter… Depends. I thought about a Stinger for the Hemlock, just because it's pretty light but went with a bash instead. I suspect the real benefits start once you're considerably more awesome than me 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah maybe lol id probably need one if i could be rad to the max 😆

slowrider
    Free Member

i certainly wouldnt say i was rad to the max but was a regular chain dropper down rocky stuff around the peaks. i was running double and bash and usually dropped it down to either granny or on to the bb. tried one fo those bottom roller things but it didnt really make much difference so now run a full chain guide. never drops and stops my bike sounding like a bag of spanners too so im happy.

i wonder why it happens on some and not others though? i always thought it was cos im quite clumsy, especially at speed but maybe its to do with chain growth etc? but that wouldnt explain it on my hardtail…

oh well, maybe i am rad to the max. if so im disappointed, i thought it would feel, well, radder. 😯

Northwind

I don't think I ever lost the chain at fort william, I think that's probably as big or as rough as I'll ever go.

I guess different bikes will act differently, if it's something with a really pronounced backwards axle path will have more potential for loose chains etc I expect?

Potdog
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers guys. On one trail at least here which is a regular ride, the chain regularly wobbles itself off the chain rings which can be more than just annoying when you come to put a pedal stroke in and there is no resistance there to meet your push on the pedals.

I very rarely use the big ring and when I do it's on road when I might as well sit back and enjoy the freewheel for the few minutes.

It's not a fashion thing, but a desire to stop the chain dropping off, the most obvious way to me being to fit a chain device, but I wasn't sure whether I had to go 1 x 9 to do that or whether 2 x 9 was possible.

To which I have my answer!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Chain Guides….. It's a new concept to me..’ is closed to new replies.