Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • chain drop from 36-22
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi gang.is there any way to resolve this problem.
    even using a twin specific slx front mech thats adjusted spot on.
    thanks all.

Northwind

Not being funny but it doesn't happen any more on either of mine than it did with 3 rings so I doubt it's adjusted right. Unless you have a lot of chain growth in your suspension design or something but the hemlock has a fair bit and it doesn't seem to mind. Did you shorten the chain to suit the double? Good tension will help keep it on.

What side is it going off? A bashring will completely stop it going off the top, or a I guess a chain device of some sort but I've never had any need. If it's going off the bottom, remember there's nothing different between a double and triple there.

robhughes
    Free Member

hi northwind.it,s dropping of the bottom.it,s happened as iv,e changed from 32 to 36 outer.?
    think you right there on shorten the chain.

Northwind

If you're sticking with a double definately get the chain as short as you can, it helps and it makes shifting nicer. But like I say, if it's coming off the bottom then the fact that you've changed the middle ring shouldn't make any difference. Unless it's dropping off only when you change down?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

The problem with rear suspension and the 22-36 set up is that the chain bounces off the bottom alot due to not enough tension. So you can get a med or short cage rear mech to get the chain shorter but this still wont solve it.

The best bet is a chain device like a DRS or a better still if your a weight weenie or short on cash a Blackspire stinger. The string also doesn't require ISCG tabs. They work great you'll never drop a chain again.

robhughes
    Free Member

yer nothwind.only drops off when changing down

robhughes
    Free Member

dirtynap.if i fit a stinger will this resolve the problem as the chain is dropping of the top of the 22 when changing down.
    ta bud

Northwind

Hmm. Can you run the mech any closer to the chainrings? The inner plate should just naturally stop that from happening, or reduce it to a minimum at least. Also, is it possible that the mech's running a little high, creating a gap there?

robhughes
    Free Member

i,ll have a little fettle.but it,s adjusted as close as i can get it.
    cant drop the mech any more as it sits about 1mm above the weld
    (08 marin wolfridge)

Northwind

Hmm. I don't have anything useful to add then, sorry! The SLX mech's definately the right tool for the job- triple mechs work fine but they're a pain to set up, the double mechs are lighter and so much less pernickety… but being top swing only is a downer, mine just barely fits on the hemlock for the same reason.

robhughes
    Free Member

ok thanks north/w.
    the search for the truth goes on. 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘chain drop from 36-22’ is closed to new replies.