Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Cerakote: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger?
  • Ben_Haworth

Cerakote is cheaper than most paint jobs but claims to be lighter, corrosion resistant and more resistant to abrasion.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Cerakote: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger?

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

cerakote_up_north

Cerakote UP North Contact Info

If anyone would like to discuss Cerakote for their MTB or road bike project please get in touch with me (Matt) at Cerakote UP North – Based in Lancaster 01524 963232, mobile 07791 292 683 email: matt@howefab.uk

We would be happy for customers to visit to see the process, the quality and look of finished Cerakote parts and the huge range of colour options available.

nickc

Can you repaint carbon frames?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

“all threads were coated” – is that a mistake, or can you really spray this into the bolt holes?

alan1977
    Free Member

all threads headset etc with 50 microns? that’s enough to change a bearing fit significantly?

mashr

“all threads were coated” – is that a mistake, or can you really spray this into the bolt holes?

Was wondering exactly the same thing, 100 micron reduction in diameter could certainly have an effect.

Also the coating is 25-40 microns, but the Five had 50 microns applied. Again, typo or something else?

Other than those details, think cerakote would tempt me to do a repray (if my bike wasn’t fairly old and fairly neglected)

mert
    Free Member

Might even add enough material to stop certain pressfit bottom brackets from creaking…

sharkattack

I wanted to try some of this stuff a few years ago for motorbike parts but it was totally unavailable in the UK. Can’t help thinking how awesome a Geometron would look in a fancy colour.

nixie

You can see the coating on the inside of the swing arm bearing seats and the shock mount!

mashr

To be fair – from the factory those shock mounts are covered in powdercoat. That era of Five clamps the bearings on place too, so might not care about the ID reduction

kelvin

Cerakote also outlasted any other coating in an abrasion test.

What form did this abrasion test take? How does the coating stand up to real world riding in good old UK grit and mud?

cerakote_up_north

Hi, Yes we can Cerakote Aluminium, steel, polymers, plastics and Carbon fibre. Some slightly different processes and Cerakote series are used for different materials. Cheers Matt

cerakote_up_north

Reply to Kelvin:

The reply link doesnt seem to allow a direct reply!

This is the link to the abrasion test: https://youtu.be/ksj-XJzVQik

UK grit and mud will affect any finish over time. But being ceramic Cerakote does not allow water ingress so you will not get the capillary action of water getting between the surface and the coating resulting in popping the coating off and leaving a corroded surface underneath.

a11y

Can’t help thinking how awesome a Geometron would look in a fancy colour.

You and me both. Stop torturing yourself!

Raw is still good though.

cerakote_up_north

Reply to Mashr,

Cerakote can coat threads, nuts and bolts. We do it all the time. The fit is not affected and the cerakote stays on the threads.

cerakote_up_north

Reply to a11y:

Raw is awesome, Cerakote have a clear laquer that gives all the protection of ceramic but can be applied on polished alloy surfaces. It wont allow water ingress and capillary action corroded between the surfaces and the Cerakote

kelvin

Thanks for the reply. Any tests showing how good the abrasion resistance is on a non-flat surface, like a tube?

cerakote_up_north

It’s 25-40 microns (50mm microns is a typo) 😎

sharkattack

Just noticed one of the official Cerakote colours is called ‘NRA Blue’. There’s one for the Republicans amongst us.

cerakote_up_north

I’m sure we could sort that out alongside the rest on powder coat and a lacquered frame.

Cerakote is not indestructible just like any other finish but the difference is that Cerakote doesn’t allow water incress if it gets chipped or scratched. This is a major plus point.

a11y

Raw is awesome, Cerakote have a clear laquer that gives all the protection of ceramic but can be applied on polished alloy surfaces. It wont allow water ingress and capillary action corroded between the surfaces and the Cerakote

That’s something I’ll keep in mind for future. I had issues with sweat staining my raw finish in the past but resolved that with liberal use of phosphoric acid on one raw bike, whereas my other raw bike is fine. I’m aware normal lacquer on raw polished isn’t a particularly durable finish.

cerakote_up_north

Yes all threads can be coated. This bike went back together easily, no powder coat to rub down to try to make fit and all surfaces around the bottom bracket and headstock sprayed and protected inside and out

kelvin

Any tests showing how good the abrasion resistance is on a non-flat surface, like a tube?

I’m sure we could sort that out alongside … powder coat and a lacquered frame.

That would be a very interesting test, would love to see the results of that.

Cerakote looks amazing, if it proves to be at least as abrasion resistant as powder I’d be up for a respray.

sharkattack

I once spent about 2 days polishing my Geometron to a mirror finish. It looked amazing but it was starting to dull before I even got the thing built. It was back to normal after a few rides.

A highly polished G1 with a clear finish would be amazing.

cerakote_up_north

I need to know how to reply and it link the message I’m replying to as the reply side isn’t working

kelvin

Use the “B-QUOTE” button, and paste the original message inside the tags.

cerakote_up_north

Sharkattack – watch this;

This is your answer

cerakote_up_north

Use the “B-QUOTE” button, and paste the original message inside the tags.

Cheers, hope this works!

cerakote_up_north

Just noticed one of the official Cerakote colours is called ‘NRA Blue’. There’s one for the Republicans amongst us.

i think National Racing Alliance 😉 there are some oddly named colours that’s for sure!

cerakote_up_north

You can see the coating on the inside of the swing arm bearing seats and the shock mount!

This frame went together fine, around these areas we would do around 25 micron coating and then areas under the frame rails and around the headstock tube (not inside the headstock tube) around 40 microns.

matt_outandabout

I have nothing to add beyond purrrrrrrple…!

cerakote_up_north

Some of the main benefits:

250-1000 degrees centigrade temp range without affecting the coating or colour (range depends on the Series of cerakote used)

Thermal shock resistant
    Totally resistant to brake fluid, wheel wash, brake cleaner, acid cleaners, petrol/diesal.
    If it chips it wont allow water ingress so the chip stays a chip it does not haze or crack paint around the chip.
    Totally resistant to road salt, mud, road grime etc
    Ultra thin 25-40 microns single coating process.

No lacquer and no primer to think about.

We can Cerakote designs onto the frame and leave no ridge between the Cerakote layers, unlike decals that will peel off and hold dirt and grime on the edges of the logo.

nedrapier

Looks good. Any reason why you couldn’t clear coat steel with it?

Plenty of companies have had difficulties with clear-coated steel rusting under the lacquer over time, some have stopped offering it because they’ve not been able to get it right.

cerakote_up_north

That would be a very interesting test, would love to see the results of that.

Cerakote looks amazing, if it proves to be at least as abrasion resistant as powder I’d be up for a respray.

We will set up a test as soon as we can, its on the cards to do this but we need to find some time as the workshop is quite busy at the moment coming out of the summer months as we do alot of motorcycle parts as well as everything else.

cerakote_up_north

That’s something I’ll keep in mind for future. I had issues with sweat staining my raw finish in the past but resolved that with liberal use of phosphoric acid on one raw bike, whereas my other raw bike is fine. I’m aware normal lacquer on raw polished isn’t a particularly durable finish.

Contact me directly and we can go through the options on the MC5100, I would be up for doing some extra MTB related tests on it also.

cerakote_up_north

A link to our facebook, showing some other projects we do and alot of colour options etc:
    https://www.facebook.com/TopyokesUK

a11y

A highly polished G1 with a clear finish would be amazing.

TBH I like the slightly dull look my G15 has at the moment – it’s nice and even so doesn’t look out of place. However, oooft

Shiny AF

a11y

Contact me directly and we can go through the options on the MC5100, I would be up for doing some extra MTB related tests on it also.

I’ll see. I might be exchanging one of my polished frames for an anodised black one (Geometron owners, we can’t help but fanny around with stuff) so might not have the issue to deal with in future if it all works out.

cerakote_up_north

Looks good. Any reason why you couldn’t clear coat steel with it?

Plenty of companies have had difficulties with clear-coated steel rusting under the lacquer over time, some have stopped offering it because they’ve not been able to get it right.

That is a question I am going to ask Cerakote technical now, personally I cant think why it cannot be done as we have clear cerakote lacquers available for all surface finishes.

v7fmp

so whats the crack… i send you my frame with everything removed and you paint it?

Does it go over the existing paint? or strip back to bare then painted?

If there is any damage to the frame, chips, scuffs etc are you able to fill/fix those?

And is there a pallet of colours to browse?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.