Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Centralise the pads over the disc – The Hope Technique…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

or video

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akIWGqEE0PY[/video]

So I centered the caliper by sight evenly with the rotor, then pressed lever till first pad hit the rotor, then held the rotor firm to allow the second pad to ease out to contact the disc, as per Hopes reccomendations. It didn’t work and everytime resulted in very slight skimming of rotor and uneven pad biting on the rotor.

Reverted to the method every other brake uses and spun wheel, pressed lever, then tightened caliper, perfect first time.

Just wondered if any of the Hope brake owners went down the pad centralising route with success.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rotor straight?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Hey Mike, yeah brand new rotor and new brakes. Worked fine first time by lining up on sight only, until I started messing around by holding the rotor and trying to dial in the second pad, its not easy to put even pressure on both sides of the rotor either side of the caliper and then press the lever 😆

Just seemed a really odd technique when the spin, press, and nip up method worked so well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sticking pistons ?

Or if they are new , ignore the skimming and go ride , they wont be skimming by the end of the ride and the the pistons wil be freed off and working correctly.

Even piston movement helps avoiding sticky pistons.

richmars

Does seem odd compered to the spin, press and nip method. But the video does say that doesn’t work! (Seems to work for most people)

creamegg
    Free Member

I tried the hope method which worked but the other method is easier and works just as well ime

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Morning trailrat, i’ve got them working perfectly with no skimming just by pressing the lever and nipping up.

The video states “you can’t centralise a caliper correctly by loosening the bolts, pumping the lever and retighening the bolts” seems to go against the way the masses center calipers. If I try the technique in video then I get skimming.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ime centralising between the pads with hopes results in mushy lever when riding.

Centralising to the calipers and letting the piston seals bed in results in a much better feeling brake imo.*

* wonders if folks bodging fitting has something to do with folks bad experiances of hope brakes being spongey and always feeling like they need bled.

creamegg
    Free Member

Its important to set up the callipers so the pads are parallel with the disk and each pad the same distance from the disk. How this is achieved is irrelevant imo

somafunk

Use a brake pad alignment tool, such as this one or just use a couple of feeler gauges.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Centralise the pads over the disc – The Hope Technique…’ is closed to new replies.