Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Cars again – fast manual wagons
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s not unreasonable to want ONE car that is both practical and fun, is it?!?

Point proven 😆

Saccades
    Free Member

Subaru Levorg – 300bhp estate, awd and manual.

Ah, just noticed the no scoobys comment.

welshfarmer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-BESPOKE-RANGE-ROVER-EVOQUE-LRM-1-COMP-SAFARI-RALLY-LAND-ROVER-/151833939836?hash=item235a020f7c:g:hdEAAOSwsB9WDAAg

Not sure it is big enough in the rear. Many of the normal Evogues are manual and are actually quite quick too. Not really a sports car though.

tonyg2003

Golf R estate?

I don’t get the whole “hate auto’s” thing but each to their own….

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Volvo V70r if you dont mind something a few years old. If you are in NZ still import one Japan. If you are in the UK there is a company in scotland importing very clean examples from Japan.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pity they don’t make the Alfa 159 Sportwagon any more.

You could have bought special sunglasses and everything.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What Funky says – I would prioritise a nice car and a cheaper one the bike can go in – that was my Cayman old Rav4 combo – bought s/h today would cost less than the OP’s budget – I would be very reluctant to put my bike covered in sh.t inside a £40k car, too OCD

jimw
    Free Member

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who would prefer a manual gearbox if possible. As already mentioned, almost all of the more powerful large estates are auto only now. I had one of the last manual Audi A4 3.0Tdi Avant Quattro’s before they became auto only…. Wish I had kept it now. That was fast enough with the possibility of adding coniderably to the output with a remap.

Good luck in finding what you want

NZCol

I don’t have room for 2 extra cars, I’ve done the proper car/practical
    Combo with a 993 turbo and a vw transporter. I’d quite like a fast estate, I can lug people and stuff around in it as well as having some completely legal under the speed limit, appropriate time and place fun.

vinnyeh

Insignia VXR
    Ticks all the boxes, I believe.

Edit: except towbar, possibly.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

For those suggesting two cars as a solution, why don’t you want to make the most of the driving experience when you need practicality too? Just because I’ve got the bike in the boot doesn’t mean I don’t want to enjoy the drive as much as possible. Every week I drive across the Peak District on quiet B roads and have huge amounts of (legal, safe) fun, but I still have a bike in the boot. I’d be gutted if I had to make a choice between taking my bike or having a fun drive. It is possible to have cake and eat it.

Having done the impractical 2 seater sports car thing, I’m really pleased with the current 1 Series I’ve got. More than big enough for bike carrying duties but great fun to drive. It’s not the fastest car I’ve had in a straight line by any margin, but it’s the closest I’ve got so far to the perfect compromise. Next step will be the kind of estates NZCol is looking at, so will bookmark this…

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well I’ve ordered a 330i M Sport touring that would meet those requirements although at 252 hp that may not be rapid enough for you. I specified the 8 speed auto but it’s available in manual. If you want the 340i (326 hp) you would need to take the auto.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Sounds like he needs to prioritise buying a house with a bigger driveway.
    He’d probably have more room inside so he’d be able to hang his suits in a wardrobe and not the back window…

P-Jay
    Free Member

suburbanreuben – Member

Sounds like he needs to prioritise buying a house with a bigger driveway.
    He’d probably have more room inside so he’d be able to hang his suits in a wardrobe and not the back window…

Oooo so much bile for such a short post.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Insert a smiley. 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Golf R estate?

DSG only. It’s so much better than the manual that no one bothers with manual on the hatchback! 😉

NZCol

Harsh there, I don’t wear a suit thanks and my house is perfectly adequate although the pool does probably take up the space for another garage, that’s my problem not yours. 😆
    Didn’t know you could get the 330i M Sport Touring in a manual, will look into that. I’m sorry I’ve offended those that have read this, my apologies. That Vauxhall Insignia is lovely, might go and look.

tonyg2003

No Golf R estate manual available (just looked at the VW website) but no-one orders them!

jimw
    Free Member

Could it be that no one orders the non DSG Golf R because it isn’t available.

Chicken-egg, egg-chicken

choppersquad
    Free Member

Am I the only person to spit my tea out because of the £45k-£60k budget.
    Don’t think I’d want a Vauxhall if I had that much to spend.

NZCol

Anything under budget is absolutely fine, I’m not bothered about the badge I just want something comfy, fast, able to lug

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nobody buys cars with cash. It’s all about how much credit you can leverage or how much you’re prepared to spend on leasing. Anyone buying a 40 – 60k car with cash really isn’t that clever.

Problem with big heavy and powerful cars with manual boxes is that they eat clutches. Not really the best technical solution for a heavy and powerful car. Sure you can nurse them to achieve decent miles but you don’t buy cars like that to nurse them along.

jimw
    Free Member

Problem with big heavy and powerful cars with manual boxes is that they eat clutches. Not really the best technical solution for a heavy and powerful car

I have had a number of powerful and torquey (500nm+) manual cars. With 4wd which puts additional strain on the clutch and gearbox. Never had a problem with the drive train.

Lucky? Or just well engineered?

bigbloke
    Free Member

When the new Alfa Romeo gets released in Sportwagon guise ohhhhhhhhh I may rob a bank……

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

they eat clutches

Which is why everyone is moving to autos. Also, its easier to meet emissions limits with an auto, especially on a massive engine. Doesn’t help that probably 50% of the “enthusiastic” drivers aren’t actually very good at it.

If you want that sort of grunt (400+bhp i’m guessing) on a sports chassis how are you going to be able to have fun? Those i’ve driven in that category you have to be well into illegal speeds to have anything like fun. Up to the speed limit they are generally so capable you either have to drive like a cock or fit drifting tyres.

Even the T6 Polestars that i’ve driven (and even the C30 polestar) driving well over the speed limit is fairly uninteresting. If a “little” noisy……

Gary_C

It’s a pity that the Cadillac CTS-V Wagon wasn’t sold over here.

6.2 supercharged LS V8, 556hp. 8)

Would have been ideal.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Volvo V60T5R Design Manual. Quite nice but maybe not enough? Ah no manual anymore sorry.

njee20
    Free Member

Could it be that no one orders the non DSG Golf R because it isn’t available.
    Chicken-egg, egg-chicken

The hatchback is available in both DSG and manual. In all markets except the US the DSG ‘box far outsells the manual (which is £1500 cheaper). So much so the estate is only available in DSG.

geoffj

320d xdrive touring here and it’s plenty nippy enough even in auto.
    My next one will probably be the 335d xdrive in auto too. Go for the flappy paddles and drive it like a manual if you must.

Superficial
    Free Member

You can go on pistonheads.com and search for manual/estate/0-60 under x.

I’ll save you the trouble though – the answer is an Audi. Other options – Porsche Macan (not really an estate but you have to compromise somewhere, BMW M5 touring. My choice would be an e60 550i, if you can find one in manual (rare but they do exist).

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e60-5-series-03-10/2007-07-bmw-5-series-5-0-touring-smg-5dr/6193819

Northwind

NZCol – Member

Budget: up to 45k

About 15 mk3 Mondeo STs. When one goes wrong, throw it in the bin.

TheGingerOne

I had a somewhat smaller budget, but similar requirements. Ended up with a 56 plate e91 BMW 330i Touring with only 47k. BUT, it is an auto which I actually suits the car/engine and I’m coping with a lot better than I expected having had one previously in an e92 325 coupe which I just could not get on with. I think it just works better with the larger engine. Not sure it helps you, but there might have to be a compromise somewhere given what is now available.

I’d rather have an auto 340 touring than a manual Insignia for example.

Or could you get away with e.g. a BMW 335i M Sport Gran Tourismo which can be had as a manual, rather than an estate?

or a 328i M Sport touring manual

BMW 328 Touring Manual

awkwardkid
    Free Member

I ran a volvo V50 t5 sport for a few years. Fast but a bit dull on the steering. Had a VXR vectra estate that was made from cheese and chocolate. 335i is on my list or a RS4/6 would be the weapon of choice

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

weapon of choice

😐

timber

Probably have to be a semi-fast version to have type approval/space for a towbar.
    As already touched on, so much new fast stuff is flappy paddle auto of some sort.

crikey
    Free Member

…and yet another thread which demonstrates why road safety really, really needs the human bit to be removed from any control issues with regard to road safety.

Boys with toys don’t belong on roads.

Daffy

Not a wagon exactly, more of a large hatchback, but the Porsche Panamera can be had with a manual.

There are 2* 4.8s Panemeras on Autotrader, both less than £40k.

jimjam
    Free Member

Daffy – Member

Not a wagon exactly, more of a large hatchback, but the Porsche Panamera can be had with a manual.

There are 2* 4.8s Panemeras on Autotrader, both less than £40k.

Behold, the Panamera Sport Tourismo!

crikey – Member

…and yet another thread which demonstrates…….blaaaaaa

A tiresome **** emerges.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Cars again – fast manual wagons’ is closed to new replies.