Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • carrying a pie on a bike
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve offered to take dinner to a pals and have a cottage pie thawing. They are 9 miles away and I’d prefer to ride if possible.

I can’t see a way of securely transporting it with rack or panniers, any ideas?

Pie is say 12″ x 9″.

bol

Nicely wrapped up, then attached with bungee cords to the rack? Otherwise, suspended in a makeshift cradle from the top tube – although this may require a bow-legged riding position which may not be possible to maintain for 9 miles. There may also be a risk of pie fouling to the front in the event of steep gradients.

shifter
    Free Member

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

can this man help?

spooky_b329

Get a taxi for the pie 🙂

brack
    Free Member

Seriously!? Can you not work this one out for yourself!?

Post pie ( recorded delivery).. That way it gets tracked and you know exactly when it will arrive.

Then cycle over

Simples.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eat it,
    Vomit it back up.

Problem solved.

Enjoy and don’t thank me. 😆

Cheezpleez

Eat the pie before you go, then simply tell everyone how delicious it was when you get there.
    EDIT: Bah! Too slow.

OK a serious suggestion: deconstruct the pie, carry the filling and mash in separate sealed pots then remake when you get there.

Bregante

Contact these people (I suspect binners is the mastermind behind the outfit) and ask them how they do it.

http://thepiebike.com/

maccruiskeen

Carry it in a reputedly self sealing tupperware container
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coi86g8bxE8[/video]

trevron73
    Free Member

I carried a 1.5k Apple and berry crumble back from work ,with a couple of servings of creme Anglaise last night, it was balanced on the bars supported by my hand. There are no hills and i only live 1k away but my wrist felt the burn .Starting to move and dismounting was a wobbly affair but today we eat crumble!

Jamie
    Free Member

I carried a 1.5k Apple and berry crumble

Seems expensive.

Stoner
    Free Member

Broom handle taped to top tube so that it protrudes out the front of the bike past the front wheel.

Drill three holes in the rim of a circular tray at equal points around the circumference. Tie three lengths of string to tray through holes.

Tie tray to end of broom handle so that pie can sit on tray and be kept level no matter how much you rad the gnarl on the way to your friends.

Stoner
    Free Member

+

+

coatesy
    Free Member

Go on, do it, you know you want to! Carbon fibre fork mounted pie carrier, and matching brake mount on the other leg, awsome.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Can’t help sorry. But best thread title for a long while.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm. If only I had a basket I could zip tie to my rack.

💡 Ooh! I actually have a wicker basket!

coatesy – if only I had the time, I need to get there by 4:30 or so.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I carried a 1.5k Apple and berry crumble

Seems expensive.

Its the new MacBook

tomaso
    Free Member

Some form of tray string and clingfilm combo to fashion a suspended tray similar to an old fashioned usherette at the cinema

tomaso
    Free Member

Or this technology!

geoffj

Put it back in the freezer to reharden, carry as a frozen lump, defrost using friends macrowave and heat in their oven.

*not sure cottage pie is a proper pie

leffeboy

A real proper thread a man can respect, excellent. None of your I don’t want to accidentally glance at your cock while waiting for my bread machine to break nonsense.

My usual trick if the pie is below the lid of the container is to put a breadboard over the top and then tie the whole thing together with a strap. Then a folder towel on the rack (for a small bit of bump insulation), pie and board on top, then another strap to tie it to the rack. This stap also usually goes through the saddle to ensure it stays up.

If the pie is higher than the edge of the container then it is allowed to eat as much as is necessary to get it below the said height.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Wrong kind of pie, cottage pie is not a real pie. Next time get a real Fray Bentos pie which comes in its own tin. You could probably kick it the whole way there and it would still taste just as good.

charliedontsurf

Do you not have a personal pie caddy following you with a selection of savoury and sweet pies, allowing you to select the correct pie for each section of he ride?

tymbian
    Free Member

Phone up tell them you can’t make it. Eat humble pie.

cynic-al
    Free Member

leffeboy may have it. If it rains though I am driving 😡

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I’d advise caution – I once ended up in hospital at 2am after trying to carry a kebab by bike. Of course, I was also transporting several beers at the time too 😀

belugabob
    Free Member

I can’t solve cynic-al’s problem, but I’m starting to seriously think about baking pasties the same size and shape as a water bottle.
    Yumm!

br
    Free Member

A bit like how you can’t use a (single-wheel) wheelbarrow one-handed.

fasthaggis

A real proper thread a man can respect, excellent.

Not this man,he posted up before 6.00 am with this dilemma. 🙄
    This means that he was fretting about it all night ,what a let down ,from the one time spoon bending (almost hingeneer) god.

..is disappointed 🙂

takisawa2

My uni mates tied Fray Bentos pie tins to my car bumper when I got married. Cheeky bleeders.

I misread Stoners one handed tray advert first time round, thought it’s said keep a free hand to grab for a crotch. 🙂

singlespeedstu

Is it a hairy pie?

tomhoward

How’d it go?

nigelb001
    Free Member

Yes how did it go, need to know! What tyres did you use on the pie transportation bike?

boltonjon

Come on – the suspense is killing me…

Brilliant post – cheered my up massively after a miserable 18 hours 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘carrying a pie on a bike’ is closed to new replies.