Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cardiff – things to do, places for food, pubs for booze
  • IHN

The good lady and I are off to Cardiff this weekend to see Geraint Thomas and Ned Boulting at the Motorpoint on Saturday evening. We get into Cardiff Central at about 12:30 on Saturday and are on the 15:30 train back on Sunday.

Any recommendations for places for lunch/dinner/breakfast, and maybe a couple of pre and post show pints? And what else to do whilst we’re in the city?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Are you staying in the centre and do you have any particular cuisine preference? https://gourmetgorro.blogspot.com/ is a great resource.

IHN

We’re staying about a twenty minute walk out of the centre, on Cathedral Road.

Pigface
    Free Member

Down the Bay or staying in town?

IHN

Either really, we’ve got all afternoon Saturday and until mid afternoon Sunday, so plenty of time.

SaxonRider

You’re literally just down the road from me. Stop by and say “hi”!

If you like Italian, there’s a little place in city centre called ‘Cafe Citta’. Go there.

Otherwise, there is tonnes to do. What sort of interests do you have?

wallop

+1 Tiny Rebel.

Great ales, ace company ethos and having completed a number of charity events with the family that own and run the business I can hand on heart say I’ve never met a more lovely and philanthropic brunch. Go and enjoy the vibe! 😎

Pigface
    Free Member

Check out all the Arcades, you will find them no trouble, Castle Arcade is my favourite.

Cardiff is brilliant now loads to see and do.

molgrips
    Free Member

I live in Cardiff, but I cannot answer your question because I am an introvert and I have kids.

IHN

What sort of interests do you have?

Pretty much anything : walking tours, sightseeing, museums, galleries, all that kind of stuff.

lesgrandepotato

Zero degrees. Pizza mussels and beer

Denis99
    Free Member

Head of Steam.

Recently opened.

Belgian beers , plus some other real ale options.

excellent

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’d have suggested hiring a tandem from near to where you are in Sofia Gardens and head out up the Taff Trail and then down to the Bay. But the weather looks grim this weekend.

lesgrandepotato

Chip alley after the gig.

Kamakazie

Lots of options for food & coffee in Pontcanna as well being you are on Cathedral Rd.
    A few good bars have popped up at the top of St Mary’s Street in the last year too.

Lots around generally so if you have an idea of food type it would be easier to recommend places.

For walking tours there’s a great ghost tour around Llandaff.
    Otherwise for museums I like St Fagans National Museum and The Cardiff Story (small but free).

mrman
    Free Member

Brewdog is definitely worth a visit and it’s just up from tiny rebel away from the castle end. Their wings are awesome. Chapel 1837 is good for slightly posher food. Cathedral road has loads of nice pubs and walking the other way up that road away from town has pontcana which has great pubs and smokehouse and a nice curry house

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

See above from Wallop. Given the choice of a Brewdog bar and almost any other bar, I’d choose the other one. Even more so of it’s Tiny Rebel. Brewdog they are not.

IHN

Cheers all. Looking at the map, we’re pretty much staying in Pontcanna, so good to know there’s stuff round there.

Food-wise, absolutely anything goes, especially if it’s a bit unusual.

marcus
    Free Member

The steelworks and recycling plant on the road to the docks ?? Or, perhaps even the docks.

IHN

Thank you everyone (and Marcus)

Any other ideas before the big trip this weekend?

Pigface
    Free Member

Down the Bay there is an all you can eat Chinese/curry place that was very good, I think it is called Cosmo, this was a while ago so might of changed.

Pigface
    Free Member

Which direction are you coming from? Try and avoid the tunnels between 16.00 and 19.00 as can get really snarled up on a Friday.

IHN

We’re going tomorrow on the train.

Pigface
    Free Member

Winner winner chicken dinner

Kamakazie

If you like Indian food, have a look at The Purple Poppadom on Cowbridge Rd (easy walk from where you are).
    Calabrisella is a good pizza place if a little bit quirky (more like a café than anything else).

Also, Pipes Brewery are open every Saturday from 12 so it’s worth a look and again, super close to where you are staying.
    Pipes

IHN

Winner winner chicken dinner

Unfortunately the wife’s veggie 🙂

lucky7500

Blatant plug for a business run by a friend of mine, but go here.
    link

wonnyj
    Free Member

some nice restaurents in pont canna. I like that ten foot tall place in town. Also have a look at tramshed for cultural things that might be on. Loads of other galleries too. And the bay is worth a fleeting visit if you have time the next day.

bakey

Clark’s pie from the Market; Chicken Curry off the Bone w/ chips from Dorothy’s in Caroline Street

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Where did you eat after IHN?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cardiff – things to do, places for food, pubs for booze’ is closed to new replies.