Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • cardigan bay for a holiday with small children??
  • karnali
    Free Member

looking for a spot for the summer for a week or 2, with a nearly 4 year old and one 6 months. Cardigan bay looks nice and cottages are a lot cheaper than pembroke.

anyone been recommend it or not, is there lots to do and isere any biking nearby for a day pass

ta

thejesmonddingo

Been loads,lovely area,Newquay and Aberaeron are nice resorts,LLangrannog very nice seaside vilage,very traditional bucket and spade hols,but lots of watersports available,+ pony trekkiing etc.Riding not too exciting TBH but you're about 20 miles from Brechfa which has some trails IIRC.
    Ian

mtbfix

Tinkerbelle and I went last summer and had a great time. Brechfa and Nant y Arian are both about an hour away and there is loads to do. We stayed in Pontgarreg (link for the cottage below) and got woken up by cows licking the windows.

http://www.stdavidsvilla.co.uk/files/index.php

yetirose
    Free Member

nice area spent a lot of my school holidays there as a kid , all the places on the above post plus theirs aberporth with good beaches and rock pools , there's lots of nice beaches all along that stretch of coast and some interesting villages and places to go , cenarth falls is where my kids were taken for a coracle ride. If its still there, there's a working water mill with lots of animals for kids to play around with called felingerri mill near Newcastle Emlyn , not to sure about biking territory , aren't howies clothing based in cardigan they might be able to advise on that one . cheers

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Aberdovey (Aberdyfi)Is a quaint seaside village with good beach and dunes if its a bit windy. Lovely riding up in the hills just behind plus 20 mins from the Climax trails north of Machynlleth and the more rugged Mach 1,2 and 3 South of the town. Harlech castle and Barmouth just up the coast as well.

nickhart
    Free Member

we go about four times a year as we have family down there. cardigan itself is nice and the coast from there all the way down and round the coastal path. to be honest i'd pay the extra and do pembrokeshire. loads of bits and bobs to do and the beaches are really quiet.

chorlton
    Free Member

We stopped at a very nice cottage in Dyffryn Ardudwy the first time I did the Dyfi enduro. It's a few mile up the road from Barmouth and just a short drive from Coed-y-Brenin, Harlech castle and the Ffestiniog railway.
    There is also a massive beach with sand dunes and lovely walks in woodland to finish up at a superb pub.
    I can't wait to go back. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

was there in 08, older kids but everyone had a good time. Lovely area.

Susie
    Free Member

I second Dyffryn. I spent every holiday there as a child and still stay there when I go to CYB.

Is this the pub you mean Chorlton?

Ysgethin

takisawa2

Had a cottage nr Cardigan year before last. Weather was utterly crap though. As above really, Newquay couldnt be further removed from its shithole of a namesake in Cornwall. Some cracking beaches hidden away. Nice place.
    And if your travelling from the Midlands you'll pass Nant-y-Arian, great stop-off for the family & an hours ride for you.

Dyfryn / Barmouth are a fair old bit North of Cardigan.

clunker

Had some great holidays in that area as a kid, my Grandparents had a caravan at Llanon often took my bike too, oh the good old day 🙂

Susie
    Free Member

Yeah, they're north of Cardigan, but he said Cardigan Bay, which extends right up the coast.

midlifecrashes

Tresaith is absolutely magic for kids. Great sand, good small waves, very good rockpools and and even a waterfall straight down onto the beach. Ice cream shops and a foodie pub.

wheelz
    Free Member

Stayed in Dyffryn, on one of the campsites, with two small kids. The following year we stayed in Barmouth.

The beach at Dyffryn is fantastic, although there's not much to the village itself.

Handy for the Pont Scethin ride though.

Barmouth was better with the kids, as they were old enough to ride the Mawddach Trail, which takes you over Barmouth Bridge to Dolgellau. There is a nice pub on the Estuary just outside Dolgellau – King George I think it's called, which was ideal for a lunch stop before heading back.

A four-year-old could do the Mawddach Trail, as it's completely flat. My daughter was five the first time she did it.

And your only 25 minutes from Coed-y-Brenin.

We were going to go back this year, but I've managed to talk the other half into going to Morzine instead.

chorlton
    Free Member

That's the pub Susie. I loved the place. The beer was great and the food looked and smelled mouthwatering. Their Pelton wheel is ace too. 😀

karnali
    Free Member

grand jut booked a cottage near cardigan, seemed good value at 420 fro first week fo school hols, includes heat elec linen etc, hopefully good weather for some beach and not too far from pembroke for a day out. think biking may be limited to pulling trailer around, but some sea swimming shouldbe good for the triathlons:)

thanks all

Carpediem
    Free Member

My mate's father owns this place: http://www.cardiganholidays.co.uk/

Amazing place, and so much do do all around for ALL age groups.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

I grew up in cardigan and it's great for kids. Great beaches for the kids if weather good. Newport , poppit sands aberporth , tresaith, penbryn llangrannog etc etc. Unless you are further north there is little biking around cardigan itself ( unless you roadie it!) If we have adry summer and only if the preseli hills are worth a spin, further north near aberystwyth and machynlleth you are in shooting distance of CYB, cliachx, NYA and the mach trails.

Cenarth falls as said before are nice, Folly farm is about 20 miles from cardigan and ace for kids, don't bother with cardigan island farm park- truly dire and the owner has a chip on his shoulder about almost everything, The preselis are nice for a walk, as are carn ingli ( i should know i got engaged up there!) as is newport pembs. Aberaeron is very pretty. I could go on and on.

If the weather is good you'll have an ace time, however if it rains like anywhere in britain it can be a bit bleak!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Carpe diem is that ben giles' parents place??

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Croft farm just outside cardigan is great too!
    Pool on site etc.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Reply to doctornickriviera

Yes, Ben's folks own it.You know Ben then?

He's just bought a bike… gonna wreck him next time I'm up there .lol

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘cardigan bay for a holiday with small children??’ is closed to new replies.