Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Carbon SB66 "Long legged xc bike"
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

Why is this bike considered a long legged xc bike. With 160mm forks it’s as slack and long as my Nukeproof Mega.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Marketing.

Its a yeti so it appeals to rich mincers.

The nukeproof is a bit “radder”

br
    Free Member

Long TT, friend bought one ‘cos it let him ‘breath’.

bwaarp
    Free Member

A long TT is good though, it allows you to ride more centrally on the bike without having to hang off the back – meaning you don’t need to shift your weight around as much – long and low is where it’s at! I feel that the Mondraker is taking the idea of a long tt coupled with a 10mm stem a bit to far as the bikes are boat like in their length and a 10mm stem sends shivers down my spine but the Alpine 160 also has a relatively long TT.

An SB66 coupled witha 35mm stem sounds a nice compromise.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Im pretty confused by this.

I have an SB66 alu, it has certainly managed far more than the “occasional trail centre black”.

Geometry, travel and weight puts is as capable, if not more so than many including the 575, mojo HD, nomad, mega, enduro.

I dont see it as yeti’s marketing either, they bill it as an all mountain bike, the go to bike for their riders that shred hard, designed with coil shock in mind, people happily using them for bike park.

It’s only magazines that i have seen bill it as a leggy xc bike. The only reasoning i’ve seen behind it in magazines is that it pedals well and feels firm at the top of the stroke.

My experience of it is that yes, if you’re mincing, it does feel quite firm, ride it hard, it is really, really composed, more composed than my old “freeride” frame with coil. I did have to reduce the air can volume to make things more progressive, but i was bottoming riding legit freeride/DH tracks, now the shock is more progressive, i just about use all travel on a 4-5ft drop into a shallow compression that you hit flat out on a local DH track.

It has 150mm of travel, 150mm travel that has to deal with small bumps OR big hits, 150mm of travel cant do both under hard riding.

An earlier post of mine summing it up.

Pedals exceptionally out of the saddle, handles high speed rough, big hits, gaps and drops with the upmost composure.

The mags have a completely different view of it to me, they have the view that it’s a leggy trail bike because it isn’t “plush” all the time. My view of it is, if it isn’t feeling plush, you’re not riding it hard or fast enough. If you’re all over the brakes going into a steep rocky section slow, it isn’t your friend, let off the brakes and go for it, super composed.

When do you need the suspension working its magic to work the terrain, when you’re mincing around or when you’re pushing it?

The firm beginning stroke also makes it pump really well, as well as allowing the bike to be worked on smoother terrain ala trail centres without sucking up all your energy like a sofa.

So it pedals, it doens’t dull out smoother terrain too much plus it’s really composed with lots of grip when it’s rough/hitting gaps, is there anything else a bike has to do?

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’m not sure the Geo with a 160mm fork is any more capable than a mega, certainly more so than a Nomad – I wish yeti made an 18.5 inch frame that was as long as the 19,5 inch large (which is only just longer than my undersized medium mega in terms of wheelbase) but it’s close enough that the 1.5lb of weight shaved off by going to the carbon bike is mightily tempting. Basically the only reason I can think of for them being thought of as long legged xc bikes is that the seat tube is quite long for the wheelbase length when compared to my mega – but that’s exactly what I am looking for. My medium mega is as long as I want to go but I want more seat tube length as my legs are way out of proportion compared to the rest of my body. So for me the frame looks to be great for putting together enduro/mini-dh bike.

So the question is, does the carbon bike kill or deaden trail feel?

Also plush sucks balls, as long as I can tune out the linear shock rate and add some more bottom out…I don’t care about mid stroke plushness….I want something that pushes/pops off trail features. Much more fun and I feel faster – for my riding I feel harder/racier shock tunes don’t get bogged down in ‘gnarly’ 🙄 :mrgreen: terrain as much. They float over it.

wrecker
    Free Member

I enjoyed the one I rode. It had no business climbing as well as it did. I was the only one in our group to clean a little steep climb before I realised that the middle (I normally ride 1×10) was a 38T. The long TT actually meant me needing to put more effort into getting my weight forward to get over the front wheel to get my grip downhill.
    I will say that for a bike with that geo and travel that it wasn’t a riot. I’ve ridden bikes with equal or less travel which felt more lively (and certainly faster) descending. I really did like it though, but not quite enough to go out and buy one.

iain1775
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    Marketing.

Its a yeti so it appeals to rich mincers.

The nukeproof is a bit “radder”

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s a late contender but that gets my nomination for
    Post of the year (2012)

Whersas bwarp wins my nomination for most over thinking rather than just getting out and riding post of the year (MOTRTJGOAR)

*disclaimer
    I’ve ridden neither bikes so by rules of stw am perfectly qualified to nomimate and judge these awards

julians
    Free Member

Isnt ‘long legged xc’ just another way of saying ‘all mountain’?

Sounds like it to me, and therefore sounds the perfact description of all these kinds of bikes (sb66,enduro,mojo hd,nomad)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Carbon SB66 "Long legged xc bike"’ is closed to new replies.