Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Carbon cube 29er rear dropout design flaw?
  • RoutineDean
    Free Member

Ok guys not really much of a poster more of a “secret STW Lurker” most nights. just thought i’d throw this by the collective for your views??

Purchased a Cube reaction SL carbon 29er a few months ago, literally as new with receipts, my riding mates still think i purchased it as new 🙂 it was in that good a condition.
    Before a debate starts i’ve still got my 26″ full sus lol!
    My problem….. the lugs on the rear dropout seem far too big for the std 9mm qr axle, thus causing the rear wheel to misalign after a days off-road riding.
    Don’t know how to post pics on here but lets say the tyre tread on the rear triangle behind the BB is approx 5mm on non drive side and 15 mm on drive side away from frame.
    I’m sure the majority will say tighten the qr tighter but i’m well aware of tight and stupidly tight thanks. The constant little squeal from the rear brake tells me the rear wheel’s moved again 😉
    So my dilema is:
    1. Raise said problem with bikeshop/Cube?
    2. Let sleeping dogs lie and just machine some little spacers to slip over the 9mm axle to take up the excessive movement? i have a myford 7 lathe so this is not a problem.
    BTW, the previous owner is local and will take on warranty issue’s if needed.
    Reckon i’ve covered most base’s so i’ll crack a bottle of the local breweries beer and await a STW flogging.

Thoughts please.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

surely the warranty is with the original purchaser?

it sounds like something is definitely a miss though but I fear that because you didn’t purchase the bike you wont have much come back on it.

RoutineDean
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^
    Matthew you shot the bolt too quickly 😀 as per my post bro, lol!

BTW, the previous owner is local and will take on warranty issue’s if needed.

baznav73
    Free Member

my mate had exactly the same problem with his, the axle wears the carbon dropout away until the wheel is so skewed the tyre rubbed on the chainstay, cube weren’t interested in a warrenty claim so he fixed it himself with a carbon repair kit off the web.
    why can’t they mount the replacable hanger on the inside then this problem wouldn’t exsist.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Matthew you shot the bolt too quickly as per my post bro, lol!

not sure quite what you mean but you should get your dude to contact cube about it

andyl
    Free Member

rear axle is 10mm. Doesnt help with your problem though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The answer is…WARRANTY CLAIM.

RoutineDean
    Free Member

Baznav73. the problem wont get to that stage 😯
    Andyl. valid point without getting the digi verniers out, the machined “spacers” will be approx 13mm then 😕
    Cynic-al. i’m with you but…… Google, mtb forums etc give me little confidence on taking that route? The “cynic” in me reckons Cube owners wouldn’t realise the issue 😀 😀
    Little squeals and intermittent dodgy gear shifting i can do without on a days ride thanks, in my opinion all to do with my original post.

antares
    Free Member

Link to video of problem.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ypdr84a4-5o

cynic-al
    Free Member

Routine Dean – Member
    Cynic-al. i’m with you but…… Google, mtb forums etc give me little confidence on taking that route? The “cynic” in me reckons Cube owners wouldn’t realise the issue

You asked the question, yet you already have your answer?

If the original owner would help, what’s to lose? It appears to be a known issue, threaten trading standards, publicly out them if they don’t help.

RoutineDean
    Free Member

Al? Is it a known issue? I can’t seem to find any threads on Google regarding the problem.

antares
    Free Member

What’s the other side like?

RoutineDean
    Free Member

Exactly the same
    Tonight i’ve took some more in-depth pics and a video of lugs and axle “seating”
    Tomorrow, polite e-mail to Cube, direct 🙂 and a little bit of machining on the lathe so i can still ride 😀

plankatron
    Free Member

Hi, was there any outcome on this. I have a cube reaction sl with the same problem. Going back to the dealer but would be interested in how you got on.

Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Carbon cube 29er rear dropout design flaw?’ is closed to new replies.