Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • carbon bars on road bikes
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

is it worth the upgrade to add a little more comfort?

cheers

Rich

damo2576
    Free Member

No, I needed to change widths and ‘downgraded’ to alu. No weight saving, no real comfort imo for carbon in bars.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I swapped a pair of alu bars for a set of FSA K-Wing carbon bars and I don’t suffer from hand pain nearly as much, but that may be due to the flatter profile of the FSA bars. I can spread my hands out on the tops and there are more positions to allow me to move my hands around and prevent fatigue.

Basically, a more comfortable shape. Hard to say with any certainty if the carbon absorbs road buzz more than the alu bars.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, maybe, I dont know. Double wrap your bar tape?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

it is hard to say tbh but I dont want to spend alot of money and no results …maybe a different shape bar might help ? or some better gloves ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Drop your tyre pressure slightly.

sefton
    Free Member

I got some great easton drops from merlin, I added a easton carbon post at the same time so its hard to say which has improved comfort

zilog6128

Bought some last time Merlin (or was it Winstanleys?) had a half-price Easton blowout. They look awesome, are incredibly light, but the difference in feel is very hard to judge. The didn’t feel any more comfortable whilst riding, possibly there is some cumulative effect when on a long ride though. Glad I didn’t pay full whack!!

Drop your tyre pressure slightly.

This (and/or bigger volume tyres) certainly has a more noticeable effect on comfort IMO

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Before you splash out on new bars try replacing your bar tape with Specialized S-Wrap Roubaix 40mm.

1-shed
    Free Member

Bar width and position of the hoods, I’ve gone with 44cm bars wider than you normally get on my size frame and a flat extension from bars to hood. Stay loose and elbows bent and use all the positions.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

cheers guys for advise I will look into new bar tape and dropping my pressures 🙂

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i downgraded to alu, not sure about the ‘more comfortable’ myth….they are heavier, maginally but cheaper to replace if you have an off

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘carbon bars on road bikes’ is closed to new replies.