Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car Warranty Fun. (consumer advice needed)
  • Smee
    Free Member

A few months ago I took my car into the garage to get some steering components replaced through warranty – original 60k/3yr warranty. Car had less that 60k miles on it when I took it to them to get the fault diagnosed. They diagnosed the problem and ordered the parts -parts took 6 days to arrive, by which time the car was over 60k miles. I also took out an extended warranty when the car hit 60k miles. The problem I am having is that I now want to cancel this extended warranty as i'm getting rid of the car, but cant because the garage have used the extended warranty for this claim. This leaves me in the position of having to pay for the warranty for the next couple of years – I am not happy about this as it should have went through the manufacturers warranty.

Garage and warranty company are burying their heads in the sand.

Advice?

Pook

C to the A to the B.

Timmo
    Free Member

can you not transfer the warranty to your next car?? i know some are transferable, depends muchly on if it was a dealer specific one or not??

Smee
    Free Member

Not getting a next car to transfer it to. Going down to being a one car family and that one is brand new…

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Do you have documented evidence of when they diagnosied the problem with the millage on? If so it should be done under the original warrenty just as it would if you hadn't taken ou the extended one.

tonyg2003

sounds like your warranty has been paid for and claimed on. I can't see anyway that you will get your money back. nothing to add apart from if your steering problem was diagnosed before 60k your garage should have fixed it even though the car passed 60k and you shouldn't have purchased the extended warranty (in beautiful hindsight).

The only plus is that when you sell the car you should be able to sell it with the warranty as a additional positive.

uplink
    Free Member

what does it say in the insurance Ts & Cs about cancelling?

I can see the insurance companies point though, send the garage a letter & a copy to the Ins Co. asking them why they claimed off it when the fault was covered within the manufacturers warranty period.
    The Ins Co. may well cancel the claim, possibly leaving you a way out

Smee
    Free Member

Unfortunately not. They will admit that it took 6 days to get the parts and that the car had 60165 on it when the work was done and that I always had the car serviced ever 10-12 weeks though…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is anything in your life ever easy?

Smee
    Free Member

M_F – that's a question i ask all the time. The annoying part is that the claim was for £270 and the warranty will cost me around £500…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Back to the OP though – you chose to take out the extended warranty. Would they have cancelled/refunded it even if it hadn't been claimed on?

Rich
    Free Member

So as long as you can show you are likely to have done over 165 miles in 6 days then they should repair the car under the original warranty. Getting them to do anything is another matter though.

Smee
    Free Member

They would have refunded if it hadn't been claimed on.

ojom
    Free Member

Is the warranty paid for up front or is it a DD every month.

Not that i am suggesting you cancel the DD or anything.

uplink
    Free Member

Pay them the £270 back & cancel it?

Smee
    Free Member

I know – I'll write to Toyota and complain about the dealership. Wont go down well at Toyota that.

TBC – monthly DD.

ojom
    Free Member

Try cancelling it and see what happens.

Smee
    Free Member

Perhaps they'll try and make me bankrupt… 😉

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Why would they have refunded it if it hadnt been claimed on??

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car Warranty Fun. (consumer advice needed)’ is closed to new replies.