• This topic has 55 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by paulx.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Car thread sorry – big, auto, estate
  • slackalice
    Free Member

I’ve previously had both an 850 (v70) and e-class estate’s. Can’t comment on the beemer’s, or skoda’s, although the skoda’s I’ve been in always felt a little lightweight compared to Volvo or Merc, both of which were amazing load luggers.

The e-class was/is easily the most refined and pleasing car to drive long distances in an effortless, cosseted style. If my circumstances were different, I would have another in a heartbeat.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Slightly out on a limb GD, but have you considered an XC90?
    Is basically an estate on steroids. Massive boot, supremely comfortable, excellent for kids and a hugely capable mile muncher.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My mates got one of the bug eyed eclass 04 plate 320d things that’s just huge, got all the extras you could wish for and paid £3.5k for it, it’s only done 80k too.

That too is a lot of car for very little.

allfankledup

Have run 850 T5R and a V70 T5 previously, now got a merc E320 CDI.

The merc engine and gearbox work really well, the bodywork on ours (53 plate) has some tin worm issues.

The volvo had a smaller boot (and a smaller backseat) than the Merc, but the seats for the driver were better, particularly noticeable when we were driving from Wiltshire to Scotland to visit folks…. for several hours in the car, the volvo was a nicer seat.

They both had issues mechanically, electronics mostly on the volvo…

cb

Another surprised voice for “why the hell hasn’t Renton’s Mondeo sold?”

renton
    Free Member

Another surprised voice for “why the hell hasn’t Renton’s Mondeo sold?”

Without wanting to hijack the thread Im suprised it hasnt sold either, its got to be the cheapest 2.2 tdci 200bhp mondeo on the internet with this spec.

As an aside I had a 2010 S max ecoboost with the powershift gearbox and to start with I loved it however after living with it for a while I become more and more frustrated with the hesitation when pulling out from junctions or roundabouts etc.

It also made the car less economical.

matt_outandabout

320d things that’s just huge

You need to re-asses your ability to judge size…

MrOvershoot

Matt I had to re read that, I think he’s talking about a Mercedes E class 320? Not the cramped BMW 320d
    Like this

bikebouy
    Free Member

^ Yup, thats the bug eyed 320d I was on about.

MrOvershoot

Problem is if you type 320d most people will think BMW
    If you type E320 they will think Merc, its a minefield I tell you 😉

bearnecessities

Renton, I’d imagine it’s just because not many people would be interested in committing to buying a s/h car (privately also), 3 months before it’s available.

I’d stop lowering the price and just list when it’s nearing availability. It is a nice motor and you’ll kick yourself if you let it go for buttons.

chris_db
    Free Member

I had a new company car delivered yesterday Skoda Superb 2.0 TDi DSG SE Business. It’s very large, has a bigger boot than the Mondeo it replaced, very nice to drive and all the bells and whistles. If the older model is anywhere near as good then a second hand one should be a right bargain.

matt_outandabout

The Superb was on our list – and was quickly knocked off due to the awful middle seat. It is a huuge car, with basically four seats for a long journey, especially if your kids are tween/teenage or more. It was more uncomfortable than the Mondeo or any people carrier.

I don’t get it – the superb (and others) is as wide as the Galaxy, yet has this, the middle being hard, flat and little leg room:

jimw
    Free Member

Yes, the Superb is great for four over long distances, but only OK for five adults for shorter ones. Not a problem for me but I can fully understand why it is off your list.

The reason for this is partly because it is narrower than you think- the body of Galaxy Is actually nearly four inches wider than a Mk2 Superb and some of that has to be translated to the interior. (galaxy 1884 mm, Superb 1780mm)

The Transmission tunnel is for the 4wd versions but the body in white is the same for all models

gmex619
    Free Member

Id go a6 myself. Infact I did. I went for the 6 speed though over auto. Personal preference. Boot space is great for me. I bought the saloon too. No issue with bikes and shopping. Leg room is amazing even with ling drivers legs. Comfy as you like and my 3.0 tdi quattro still returns me 40mpg on the motorway. With my lead foot..

paulx
    Free Member

Another vote for the E class Estate …

I have a 2006 E320 cdi – 3 litre diesel – had it from new. Do 20k per year in it – now at 180k. Had a recon turbo at 165k apart from that 2 ball joints and a brake pipe. Have serviced at an Indepedant rather than main dealer.

Regularly do 600 miles in a day in it. Takes my XL 29er in the back with the seats down and both wheels on. 35mpg all day long will do 40 odd if you go easy. It’s quick and handles and stops well.

With a full length roof box and tow bar mounted bike carrier its a massive load lugging family holiday road trip mobile.

If this one ever dies and its showing no signs of at the moment I’d get another. I reckon it should be good for about 400K miles before it becomes a tad worn feeling.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Car thread sorry – big, auto, estate’ is closed to new replies.