Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Car stereo help please: Connecting head unit to cd changer?
  • Olly
    Free Member

I have just acquired myself a new car.

I recovered the aftermarket head unit i bought for my previous car before it changed hands, which i bought because i wanted USB connectivity.

the new car has TWO dash slots, one of which contains the headunit, the other of which contains a 5 disk CD changer.

ive only changed from a 206, to a 307, so the loom adaptor(?) should fit fine, however, does anyone know how easy it would be for me to plug the existing blupunkt CD changer, into the new JVC headunit, which will sit on top of it.
    is it a standard fitting? (the head unit has support for a changer apparently)

i think, if i need leads, i will just pull the changer out and put a blanker in, as i probably wont use it, but it seems as its there i might as well try and connect it up.

or i could get the DAB tuner, which would be much mroe useful, but another 120 quid on top of the new car…

(i hope the Steering stalk adaptor works, as that was 70 quid on its own, and a ball ache to get going. i dont see why it shouldnt as the stalk is the same plastic shape, but they do seem to have a habit of changing the internals of these things from day to day
    may well have a poke this evening…)
    (its the new shape 307, with the problems fixed, before anyone tries it on with the horror stories of flywheels coming off)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, not all head units are cross compatible with changers. Often the cable connections are different.
    I tend to keep like for like i.e. Head and changer same make.

After all why would JVC want to make their stuff compatible with their competition?

Olly
    Free Member

thats what i was thinking might be the case.
    i think i will have it out tonight, try it, and if it doesnt work pull it out with the original head unit, box it up and then worry about finding a blanking plate, while driving around with a hole for a few days.

unless i can think of anything useful to put in the hole of course.
    a bank of usb chargers perhaps…
    biscuit dispenser?
    bodge tastic!

markenduro
    Free Member

you might be able to get an adaptor lead to make it work. Or just use the hole to keep your AA card in.

5lab

you can normally get double-din->single din adapters on ebay for a couple of quid. The one i have in my mx5 gives me a nice ‘hole’ which is a decent place to put the mobile phone. There won’t be any compatability between the two, however you might find you can flog the headunit & changer for a good few quid on ebay

H

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Car stereo help please: Connecting head unit to cd changer?’ is closed to new replies.