Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Car park etiquette
  • a11y

Take reg number and description of car parked in P&C/disabled space when they shouldn’t be. Give details to customer services saying someone’s just crashed into their car. Await tannoy call out across store. Smile.

beagle
    Free Member

See LHS point as I’ve had this too. T5 Kombi with dark rears – had a few snappy looks/getting pointed at from Mum’s in Sainsburys until I get out and slide the door back.

jamj1974

When I used to visit the supermarket with 3 under 3’s – those spaces were really helpful and made getting our 3 small (1 toddler and 2 babies) into the shop so much easier and safer. I drove a medium sized saloon at the time and getting very small children out of that car when in car seats was hard without the doors being fully open. This is more or less impossible in the vast majority of supermarket spaces.

I would have found it easier not to take them obviously, but it wasn’t the 1950’s and my wife was busy working.

cubist
    Free Member

My dad had some irate busybodies going off on one at him for having a blue badge when he didn’t deserve one. He got so fed up with the tirade of abuse he removed his false leg and threatened to use it to administer an arse kicking.

akira

If I take my dad to the supermarket can we park in the parent and child spaces? Obviously it won’t work if I’m with the in laws but just seeing where the boundaries lie.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends if you’re a child

grannyjone
    Free Member

Is it bad car parking etiquette to get out a Mobi Jet washer after a ride and wash all the crap off your bike in the car park ?

I think it must be, because I’ve had enough stick for it over the years!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Isn’t there a website for: you like park line c%%t?

Just let the police deal with them as you’ll get an ear full from the prat who parks there.

Plus not all disabled people are in wheelchairs. Don’t judge unless you have far too much time on your hands.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I assume everyone agrees that parking in a space allocated for those with disabilities when you do not have a qualifying disability is poor form?

Sensible answer – The big Supermarkets just need to have staff occasionally spending time educating the **** who unnecessarily use these spaces as education is key.

Preferable solution – Public shaming via the tannoy and clamping.

nickc

Hebdencyclist hit the nail on the head on post 3…why is this still going on?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Nick. Remember where you are.

jimjam
    Free Member

Frankenstein

Isn’t there a website for: you like park line c%%t?

Just let the police deal with them

So in other words do nothing. Would you speak if someone jumped in front of you at the atm or queuing for coffee? Just curious. Since when do the police get involved in shop car park business?

as you’ll get an ear full from the prat who parks there.

Only if you’re predictable in what you say. “You shouldn’t park there” just invites “**** off” in reply.

“The disabled spaces are over there mate” will result in confusion and probably be met with “I’m not disabled” to which you can answer “oh I just assumed you were blind since you left your kids at home you ****”. Something like that.

thered

I thought this was a quite different thread tbh.

What’s the etiquette on driving over somebody’s helmet in a trail centre car park when said helmet is beyond the owners wide-open car door and therefore well into another parking space?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What’s the etiquette on driving over somebody’s helmet in a trail centre car park when said helmet is beyond the owners wide-open car door and therefore well into another parking space?

It’s considered especially bad form if they’re still wearing it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve seen randomly distributed kit driven over, kicked out of the way and/or thrown in the bin in crowded car parks at races. They usually get a warning or two then destruction occurs.

D0NK

Lots of rules, but rarely any consequence for breaking them, and for the large portion of the population with no conscience, this means the rule may as well not exist.

kinda this, I’m basically a law abiding person, I consider cars to be bloody dangerous (useful too mind) so I tend to follow the rules, lot’s of other people consider car based rules to be an inconvenience they can’t be arsed with, so seeing someone flouting an obvious specific rule (ie there’s no grey area, they know they are doing it) is irksome*. They know they have no defence so they resort to insults or as agent007 is doing just ad hom-ing the protesters.

Plus not all disabled people are in wheelchairs

I believe the have blue badges tho, complaining about someone leaving their car in a disabled bay without a badge is fair game (if you can be bothered, pretty sure most store staff don’t GAS)

Confusingly the P+C spaces at my local supermarket are very visibly opposite the main door, pretty sure if they stuck them around the side of the store they would be less abused and would be physically just as close to the doors without having the cross the CP access road, better all round.

*<edit> ie flouting a specific rule seems worse than just being a general sociopath bellend. At face value you may consider this to be a weakness on my part but as the perp knows full well they are being a dick rather than absent mindedly/ignorantly being one means they are worse imo.

GrahamS

Of course it would help if they actually designed car parks properly with protected paths for pedestrians to walk safely to/from cars (and all other transport).

But it’s more economical to just cram in as many cars as possible and let pedestrians take their chances.

gonzy
    Free Member

I don’t park in disabled spaces, because I’m not

I only park in child and baby spaces if I have my 2 year old with me

I always park in between the lines, not straddling two parking spaces

i do this…but i also have to admit that i do park in the parent and child bays when the kids are not with me…but this always at night when the store is practically empty. i prefer shopping at night as its never busy

benp1

I had a very heated discussion with a bloke, on his own, parking in a family space when I had the kids with me. I stopped the discussion as I had my wife and kids with me, apparently he was allowed because he has kids, even though they weren’t with him?! It really got my goat, what a prize plank

A left him a surprise for when he got back to his car, all parents love nappies don’t they?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Even if you do have an inkling to vote out all you have to do is look around and ask yourself can this country really make a go of it on its own when it is full of lazy, ignorant, stupid b*stards that aren’t worth the mother and child space they have just parked in.

Add in the football fans, and the ones that park on the pavements so someone with a pushchair or who is partially sighted will have problems…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Of course it would help if they actually designed car parks properly with protected paths for pedestrians to walk safely to/from cars (and all other transport).

Local Waitrose…

jamesfts
    Free Member

Who in their right mind takes children to a supermarket when you can get your shopping delivered by a nice chap in a van

This. Why anyone would chose to go to a supermarket is beyond me.

If forced to I’ll park in the far corner away from the masses who seem unable to leave with the same amount of paint on their cars that they arrived with.

P&C seem to generally be occupied by blokes on their phones with kids sat screaming in the back waiting while the wife does the shopping. Whilst technically P&C it seems to be missing the point of them by a country mile.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

There was a session like this a year or three ago, someone from the police commented that checking out the most inconsiderate parkers usually found a few law-breakers who the police were interested in talking to.

I wonder, with ANPR being rolled out, if this is still true.

aracer
    Free Member

Unfortunately other countries also have ignorant selfish people

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I would park at the far end of my Waitrose car park, but that area is full of people who walk into town for their shopping.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Who in their right mind takes children to a supermarket when you can get your shopping delivered by a nice chap in a van

Would certainly make the whole shopping experience less annoying for those of us who live out of zone and can’t get stuff delivered. (And i’ve not checked lately, but i think our usual place has stopped doing deliveries as the take up was so poor)

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Car park etiquette’ is closed to new replies.