Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car mount for an iPhone/smartphone?
  • GrahamS

Anyone seen a decent dash mount solution for an iPhone (or other smartphone)?

I’d quite like to have it viewable from the drivers seat so I can use the sat nav and play some tunes, but all the mounts I’ve looked at so far either look crap (cheap breakable plastic with no padding) or attach in an odd way: windscreen sucker (too distracting), vent mount (covering the vent), lighter mount (mine is too low for that).

Anyone seen any better options?
    The Brodit systems look good but are really pricey.

GrahamS

*bump for evening crowd*

northshoreniall

Been using sucker mount to windscreen for my 3GS for ages now, isn’t distracting in slightest, is down in bottom corner by pillar, doesn’t obscure view.
    Has padding on back and clamp bits that squeeze the phone. No bother looking at sat nav on it.

GrahamS

But presumably I then have to drapes wires across my steering column for the power and AUX connectors?

northshoreniall

That is the only problem I have, especially as one of the leads I have is long so need to make sure doesn’t hang down under steering wheel. Is easiest option I’ve found and better than having it stuck in the middle of screen you see some people with, honestly don’t know how they do it, obscuring vision.

Jamie
    Free Member

£12 worth of awesomeness.

Very nicely put together and comes with a sticky disc that you can affix to the dash so it adheres properly…..or you can just chuck it on the windscreen.

I should add that I am using my iPhone with the cradle from my old Arkon vent mount as they are all interchangeable.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Brodit are fantastic …but not cheap.

I got mine from here

CountZero

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=26582
    I’ve tried various ways of mounting my iPhone on the dash, and all have been pretty miserable. I had a Kingston screen mount, but that was even worse, it just wouldn’t stay on the screen. I eventually tried the Arkon mount above, and it’s bloody brilliant. It sticks really solidly to the screen and stays there, it doesn’t wobble at all, I have it in the centre of the screen, fairly low down so it doesn’t get in my way, but a slight sideways glance let’s me see the screen easily, especially when I’m using CoPilot. It plugs into a lead from the back of my Alpine headunit, which doesn’t get in the way of any controls. Arkon do other dash mounts as well, so it’s worth looking on their site, but the 515 I have is just excellent.
    [edit]…and for ten bucks you really can’t go wrong. I paid $18 for mine; I’m going to buy another at that price just in case mine breaks.[/edit]

NikNak7890
    Free Member

or, if you fancy a little weekend project:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sugru-Dash-Mount-For-Electronics/

CountZero

As the Instructables feature says, it can be a ‘bit’ permanent. I did try modding my Kingston mount by cutting out a square bit of plastic and gluing it to the base, then sticking super heavy duty Velcro onto the dash. Worked ok until the weather warmed up then the glue melted and the bloody thing fell on the floor again! I’ll keep with the Arkon, thanks, it stays put, and comes off instantly.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Brodit or RAM mounts are pretty good. The good thing with RAM kit is you can buy a new cradle when you change device but keep the rest of the mount.

CountZero

Arkon do interchangable mounts as well, and various vent and sunvisor attachments.

Jamie
    Free Member

@ CountZero

If you look at my post above yours I link to the same product on Amazon UK. No need to go stateside again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car mount for an iPhone/smartphone?’ is closed to new replies.