Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Car leasing vs buying
  • hora
    Free Member

You’re forgetting the most important factor (of middle-class Britain) – keeping up with the Joneses.

I knew someone like that. Had a £400 a month Audi on lease, couldn’t afford to replace the worn out tyres.

Borrowed £2,000 to give his kid a great Christmas.

Earnt a decent enough crust to be ‘happy’ but wanted to look ‘happier’.

agent007
    Free Member

You’re forgetting the most important factor (of middle-class Britain) – keeping up with the Joneses.

Very sad isn’t it and says a lot about some of these shallow people and their priorities. Still shouldn’t complain, as these people are funding the depreciation on the bargain second hand motor that I’ll pick up a few years later for around 1/3 of it’s original price.

I’d always rather buy a car second hand from a private sale. There are so many dodgy dealers around these days, and at least by meeting the owner you can assess them and how they are likely to have looked after the car – just as important as assessing the car. Plus a private owner is less practiced at ‘stretching the truth’ than a dealer who will be well practiced at pulling the wool over peoples eyes. With a dealer car it will have been bought cheap at auction, you’ll never know who has owned it before, and you often just take pot luck really.

sbob
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

Sbob – go on what is this amazing car.

E39 M5.
    0-60 in under five seconds, 187mph top speed, and whilst no go-cart it will still out perform most cars on the road.
    Not bad for a large practical family saloon with a very generous boot.
    The thousands of pounds you’ll save in purchase should easily offset the running costs.
    Not for everyone though, as obviously some people will prefer a newer car and I prefer the miniscule costs of my 18yr old Micra, at the moment. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I knew someone like that. Had a £400 a month Audi on lease, couldn’t afford to replace the worn out tyres. “

I took a mate to collect his Bimmer after service at john clarks.

making idle chat with the receptionist about how they looked busy with the number of cars in the yard.

“oh no those are the cars that the owners have not collected due to the cost of the repairs – most of them are on lease.”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I knew someone like that. Had a £400 a month Audi on lease, couldn’t afford to replace the worn out tyres.

Borrowed £2,000 to give his kid a great Christmas.

Thats is nothing to do with the pro’s and con’s of leasing though, thats about some body wanting things that he cant afford.

I guess Im lucky on my lease. Zero deposit, Insurance, Servicing, Breakdown, Tyres, + can had the car back when I want and only have to pay 1 months penalty payment.

However just like any thing financial, why would you take some thing out that you couldnt afford if things go belly up?

hora
    Free Member

However just like any thing financial, why would you take some thing out that you couldnt afford if things go belly up?

Companies can and do suddenly go bust without any warning to employees sadly 🙁

Woody
    Free Member

Which is why I can’t get my head around buying or leasing something ‘new’ due to the ‘risk’ of something potentially going wrong and saddling me with a huge bill.

I’m a firm believer in bangernomics and my current banger, Saab 9-5 estate 2.3t, does everything I want at an anticipated total cost (excl. fuel) of <£150 a month for the first year including purchase price . Would have been less but I’ve just forked out £400 for a replacement turbo and service. If I get another year out of it the cost will obviously come down ……. if something expensive goes wrong it’s not the end of the world.

djglover
    Free Member

Just before Xmas you could get an M135i for £250 / month! Bargain

bearnecessities

Where?!

djglover
    Free Member

Not sure, big thread on pistonheads about it.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Car leasing vs buying’ is closed to new replies.