• This topic has 50 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • car insurance WTF
  • mrmo
    Free Member

got my renewal through today, so went online to see if i could save any money.

The answer

The cheapest insurance quote i could find was from the same company who i have my insurance with and it was for more money!

How does that work!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Rewarding customer loyalty what a bunch of crooks!

andrewh
    Free Member

That is definately a first! Giving the existing customers the bestdeal is almost unheard of!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Phone them up and get them to price match it. 😉

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I have investigated this matter, and am afraid to advise you are still not paying enough, especially if you wish to retain the services in the event of a crash, of a dapper, smart and generally brilliant claims handler (in England) with a bit of a bike habit.

Please phone up our renewals and ask to pay more. We can alter you mileage, add drivers, and generally ramp the price up to something more in keeping with your expectations.

DrP

My renewal was £190 more than last year, so did the usual ‘ringing around’ (via internet of course) which usually comes up cheaper. Bizarrely, the new quotes where £400 more than I’m paying now!!
    Bit the bullet and just renewed! Bad times for insurance I was told…

DrP

MoreCashThanDash

You know how whenever someone gets knocked off their bike, we all recommend a solicitor?

Roost, chickens, home?

(Of course, anyone is entitled to compensation for a genuine loss or injury, but it has to be paid for somehow….)

sweatyyeti
    Free Member

Adrian Flux quoted me more than previous year as well, even with an extra years no claims and an extra years experience. It’s madness.

Went with http://www.echoice.com. They’re quite new but part of Royal Sun Alliance.

Now paying £320 a year for 325 coupe 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Count yourself lucky you don’t live up here (liverpool). 12 years no claims, diesel Touran, £850 a year!! Cheapest quote I could get. When I was in Guildford I was paying £350.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Count yourself lucky you don’t live up here (liverpool). 12 years no claims, diesel Touran, £850 a year!! Cheapest quote I could get. When I was in Guildford I was paying £350.

Yeah, well, everyone up there claims, and its where most of the solicitors are, and where most of the court issuing is done, via the deeply crooked and dishonest Birkenhead and Liverpool County Courts.

I dealt with a claim today from two coppers claiming whiplash, and the damage to their car was £48. If even the filth are bent, what hope honest people?

Now, the chances of an insurer, daring to call Liverpool Plod in a Liverpool court dishonest? None, as the courts will award £30k costs and you will never win a case like that, so best settle sharpish for “economy”. (If a court finds plod lying, thats dismissable, so they never do….) So a sub £50 claim will prob end up costing about £10k.

allthepies
    Free Member

I think we’re all doomed on insurance. Everyone with their finger in the pie is milking insurance work/repairs to the hilt. Garages with inflated work schedules and costs, “legal assistance” departments of insurers billing £180 / day for courtesy car replacements. It all adds up and we’re paying for it all.

Smarty
    Free Member

Just had to insure our second car, little Clio 1.5 diesel. Been with same insurer for 5 years at around £300 a year, renewal quote was £778 😯
    I rang to check it and they said “don’t worry it’s nothing you’ve done, it’s cos of your postcode, the BB region has taken a massive hit lately”. Oh, that made me feel so much better, NOT!!
    Got cover from LV for £335 but have to say that most quotes were shockingly expensive, I think we are doomed.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I guess the problem is you were honest with this years quote hunt and more economical with the details you gave last year to save a few quid… Maybe 🙂
    Nice to see a little loyalty go a distance though…

My commercial policy on my pick-up went up from around £800 to over £2000 with my (now previous) insurers.

Needless to say, I binned them, but the best I could get was still £1400

jackberesford
    Free Member

Think yourself lucky, mine is £1200!

TheFlyingOx

They’re utter chancers, the lot of them.
    Mine was renewed last month. Renewal price was up from £720 to £840, despite gaining another year’s no claims bonus and not having any claims/points. Phoned them to see if they’d do it any cheaper and got told, “Sorry mate. Premiums have all gone up this year. That’s just the way it is.”

So I replied, “Is that the way it is, buddy? Well why is your own company’s online quote machine giving me a fully comprehensive quote of £425, with a lower excess?”

“Ahhh. Ermmm. I’ll put you down for that one then, shall I?”

“Yes. Despite you trying to scam me out of over £400, you’re still the cheapest. Unfortunately.”

Shysters, every single one of them.

nick1962
    Free Member

This has happened to me for the last 3 years each time with a different company AA,Tesco and Kwikfit. Got sent a renewal higher than last year so went online, got a better quote so changed insurer.Then tell old insurer I do not want to renew and so they send through a fresh quote more or less the same as the lowest quote I could get online.If they’d sent me that quote first time I would have stayed with them but instead they have lost my business…it’s a bizarre way to do things.Online quotes from the same companies have also been cheaper than the written renewal offer???? It must work for them otherwise why do it-perhaps some people just renew without question(my wife for example!)

hora
    Free Member

12 years no claims, diesel Touran, £850 a year!!

You must do alot of mileage? Seriously?

My renewal came through and I phoned them up, just spent a while coaxing etc. Got it £100 below even the best comparison site offer.

(£460) and I live next to a rough area/Trafford postcode. (6yrs NCD).

One tip- re-evaluate your mileage. Really, what do you really do? Be honest. I always put down ‘average’ mileage just to cover myself. Thing is I don’t. I do less in reality and anyway if you dropped it a few thousand how do they check?

You don’t need courtesy car IMO either. Lets face it, if you wanted to be a **** you could use those accident management firms who give you one (I wouldnt).

Drac

You’ll be really pissed when someone tells you it’s been like that for years, if you’ve been just renewing year on year without checking then you’ve been robbed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP Premiums are going up.

RANT FAIL

scaredypants

and anyway if you dropped it a few thousand how do they check?

do they ask for a declaration? – they do for my kit car
    Maybe they can look at MoT/VED forms somehow ?

hora
    Free Member

Mine went down.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Err my renewal went down this year, and it was the cheapest I could find.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So…2 premiums went down…and the news is telling us they are going up.

Which is statistically more relevant ❓

hora
    Free Member

The news is geared towards reporting the negative aspects of life. Creaming off the top of every story and report the negative-side.

You know newspapers wouldn’t sell if they had ‘Johnny saved his sister megan from the pond’ or Cameron and Clegg are loving the Coalition.

Come now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah so premiums are going down, but the press are reporting only on the ones that are going up.

🙄

hora
    Free Member

Feel free to pay more for your car insurance ‘because the news says we should accept it costs more now’.

I like it when the sheep take one for the team. :mrgreen:

loddrik
    Free Member

You must do alot of mileage? Seriously?

Mileage is <8000 a year.

hora
    Free Member

You must admit, that isn’t right then.

I’ve amended my policy to 6,000 miles a year as I work 1.5miles from home and really its only at weekends that I drive. If I had kept it at default 12k a year alot of the insurers were asking alot (c£700+)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I do 40,000 miles a year and mine is a perfectly reasonable £340 including business cover.

You must all be dodgy!

resisted
    Free Member

to be perfectly honest, I really think it’s luck of the draw. We bought our new car last april (57 plate BMW 116i) and we paid £1100 upfront. My GF’s name was main policy holder, at the time she was 22 with 3 years no claims, I was named driver on a provisional license @ 24.

Just had a renewal come through and they’ve lopped £300 off it, rang round and in the end managed to save £425!, only thing we’ve done is drop our mileage right down (we moved closer to her office, so she walks and the car is no longer considered used for commuting as I ride) and we’ve got another years no claims (our provider offered no claims for named drivers). I just did the whole “I can get it cheaper elsewhere” line and it worked!

Cougar

“the BB region has taken a massive hit lately”

Oh good.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ah so premiums are going down, but the press are reporting only on the ones that are going up.

Mine stayed the same if it helps.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Reveling in the joys of clasic car ownership here.

24, 1 years NCB, over inflated valuation by about 20% (has anyone ever actualy bought a midget for £8k+ that some are valued at? n.b that’s their valuation, not mine), all modifications declared.

£250, fully comp, breakdown cover, ‘legal assistance’, £100 excess (£0 for named drivers!).

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I moved to a lower crime area, got a drive off a quiet road now rather than parking on a town centre public carpark and they charged me an extra £120 for the remaining 4 months……

Needless to say I shall be shopping around.

One question how old does a car need to be for classic car insurance guys?

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

“the BB region has taken a massive hit lately”

Oh good.

I moved from BB and they increased it!!!!

hora
    Free Member

and they charged me an extra £120 for the remaining 4 months…..

Why didn’t you move insurers then? OR at the very least say to them ‘I’m moving insurers due to your punitive increase’.

If you are worried about losing the whole of that years NCD- no fear as over a certain amount of years they don’t change anything anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the insurer, some will say a blanket 20/25 years, others are more selective.

Generaly it’s like kit cars, the policy is based arround your engine size and the car’s value.

transapp
    Free Member

I’ve just re-insured my car. Typical w/e mtb rider, it’s an Audi A4 estate deisel, The highest quote I got was £18,500!!!!!
    Oddly, it’s more to insure than my wifes soft top TT despite both having each other on our insurance, same points (3) and no claims (9yrs plus) with interlinked policies…. Still can’t work it out as I drive the TT like a complete tit so I’m far more likly to come to grief.

loddrik
    Free Member

You must admit, that isn’t right then.
    I’ve amended my policy to 6,000 miles a year as I work 1.5miles from home and really its only at weekends that I drive. If I had kept it at default 12k a year alot of the insurers were asking alot (c£700+)

Unfortunately, in Liverpool, it seems to be the case. I live in a nice area, never had anything happen to a car, but there seems to be no way around it. I think they must do it on stigma rather than facts.

If we stay in the uk we are thinking of moving out to frodsham which should see the figure half I should imagine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘car insurance WTF’ is closed to new replies.