Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Car industry in crisis? Maybe not.
  • oldfart

Royal Mail have joined Vauxhall to offer good savings on new cars.So i went in local dealers today enquiring about an Astra.The model in question is not available anywhere so it would have to be a new order direct to the factory .Which is good means it hasn’t been gathering dust in an airfield for months .So how long would that take?8 – 10 WEEKS !!!!thats WEEKS not days!For an Astra? Not an Aston Martin an Astra!Also when i asked a hypothetical question about more discount for cash the answer was we aren’t allowed to discriminate against customers needing finance?

Jimbo
    Free Member

Last time I heard, the waiting time for an unusually-spec’d Focus was 14 weeks. Eight weeks for a made-to-order car isn’t that bad, TBH.

postierich
    Free Member

O F whats the offer RM are doing with Vauxhalls the Gf is driving 600 miles a week and needs a new un.

coffeeking
    Free Member

As per jimbo

ziggy
    Free Member

The experience I had of a Honda dealer of late makes me think they don’t want to sell cars, only £500 discount on an £8k car? Hardly any wonder they can’t sell any.

Guilliano
    Free Member

£500 on an £8k car is better than you’d get in a bike shop!!!

RichPenny
    Free Member

No it isn’t Guilliano, should be able to get 10% off a bike fairly easily.

coffeeking
    Free Member

should be able to get 10% off a bike fairly easily.

Only if you go to bike shops that inflate their prices in the first place. 10% off the items at the bike shop I worked at would have finished the place, and eventually did – mates rates please? Sure, have some blood while you’re at it…

Jimbo
    Free Member

Good luck getting anything more than a tiny discount on a used car ATM: many dealers are reporting their best January/Febuary/March etc. in recent years, if not ever. Anything between “nearly new” and 3 years old sells fast, with demand nigh-on outstripping supply…

m0nster2
    Free Member

Not seen the news ref 3 day weeks and downtime across the whole industry?

You could get one out of a dusty old airfield within a week I would expect but a special is likely to take longer than usual, I’m guessing.

RM start delivering my mail to me, as opposed to my neighbour, and stop littering my street with plastic bands … and we’ll see what we can do, eh?

oh yeah: 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m talking 10% off RRP, how would a bike shop inflate prices over RRP? I can’t see it being that harsh for the shop, since of the 3 shops I’ve had new bikes from, they’ve OFFERED around that figure when asked for a discount. I know that my LBS gives a 10% discount to regular customers, and they appear to be thriving.

sq225917
    Free Member

Jesus Jimbo are you car industry PR? SAAB, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Lotus, 2 ford dealers and one Mazda have closed in Sheffield since Xmas.

mrmo
    Free Member

got an email today saying that i get staff discount on Tata group cars, ie Jags and Land Rovers. still more than i am willing to spend.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Jesus Jimbo are you car industry PR? SAAB, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Lotus, 2 ford dealers and one Mazda have closed in Sheffield since Xmas.

Nope. Some dealers are struggling due to over-reliance on sales of new cars, finance etc, etc. The more “restrained” dealers who also do a large amont of trade with nearly-new/used cars however, are reporting brisk trade: people making the most of depriciation (worse than ever…until recently), less £££ in the way of finance etc, etc.
    Of course, this is only for the more “bog basic” stuff: anything bigger than a 2.0 Mondeo, forget it. Think more along the lines of Fiestas through to Focus’, and equivalents. Cars of this ilk are going for way above book at auction.

samuri
    Free Member

people with daft cars that drink petrol will be running down to the dealers and buying economical second hand cars to ride out the recession.

So anyone with a 4×4, a sports car or a petrol car over 2 litre will be doing this.

Andy-Mac
    Free Member

Just bought a new V50 R Design 2.0D with 5 grand off the book price of 22100, had it within one week, grand. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Car industry in crisis? Maybe not.’ is closed to new replies.