Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 361 total)
  • Car drivers – what is your problem?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

!! Cos you would expect some plum to be creating a third lane when non exists.

As Cougar says, it’s helpful to use mirrors when changing lanes, often because someone is attempting a stupid move. Regardless of blame, a dead or seriously injured person is not a nice thing to be associated with.

weeksy

So weeksy, you like putting yourself in a deliberate point of conflict with cars, yet you wonder why motorists don’t have much respect for you?

If you genuinely ride like you say you do, I truely fear for your long term survival. Hope you’ve got good life insurance!

For a fraction of a second.. it happens. Not every day or every ride… but yeah. You have to take speed and relative speed differences into account. If performing that manouver, i KNOW the car will be going back to lane 1, i’ve positioned myself in the right place and i’ve dropped a gear and it’s pinned for the overtake. Therefore i’ve gone past the car before it’s even realised i’m a factor.

I know why car drivers don’t respect me.. it’s partly jealousy from some weird thing that i may get there quicker than them… and partly because they percieve me riding dangrously.

However, you’d be suprised as what a car driver percieves as dangerous on a bike and what a bike rider percieves as dangerous. e.g. 110mph overtakes towards on-coming cars must look TERRIFYING to a car driver… However the biker is perfectly aware (hopefully) of the fact the overtake is done and dusted before either of them need to worry.

I don’t often ride like the above nowdays… However, sometimes when the mood takes me, i do open the beast up a little.

Don’t worry about my long term survival fella… i’m fairly safe 🙂

Northwind

[quote] althepal – Member
    Are we not supposed to treat a bike like any other vehicle? Ie- should they not have to wait in a queue like everyone else??[/quote]

You’re supposed to treat them like any other vehicle- in other words, not block their progress for no reason. Filtering is completely legal.

Question- do you cycle on the road? Would you sit in a queue you could safely pass?

althepal – Member
    I’ve also had a wing mirror clipped by someone’s bar plug when sitting waiting for traffic lights, did they stop to check? What do you think?

Then again, I’ve had my car wing mirror hit by other cars which didn’t stop either.

bigyinn – Member

BUT It seems to me that motorcyclists will blast off with quite a bit more speed than the actual limit. WHY?

Because some of them are arses. But a few observations… First of all, people are bad at judging speeds, and particularily bad at judging motorbike and pushbike speeds. Comparative testing proved this pretty conclusively when radar guns came along. Magnified a bit by the fact that bikes accelerate faster, which gives the impression of greater speed. And the fact that bikes have a greater opportunity to speed skews it too- there’ll be lots of drivers who would do the same if their hardware would let them.

There’s also a bit of self-justification that riders do: “I’m safer at speed because I’m better/more attentive than the average driver”. “My bike can stop faster than the average car” “Bikes are more maneuverable than cars so we can avoid dangers that cars can’t”. First 2 will look familiar since many drivers think the same (most unsafe road users of all flavours believe they’re safe, I’m sure). And there’s small grains of truth in them, but not enough. I’d bet most riders don’t think they’re riding dangerously, but a lot are deluded about what’s safe.

They are still going to get killed by cars pulling out as they wont expect them to be doing 70-80 plus down there

But hang on… If it’s not safe to pull out in front of a bike closing at 80mph then it wasn’t safe to do so if they were closing at 40mph. Closing time is only halved. Obviously the bike’s speed is contributory but you’re describing cars pulling out when they shouldn’t.

rewski
    Free Member

flow
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks motorcyclists speeding are only putting their lives at risk think again..

Edit: I used to have an NC30 😀

weeksy

Edit: I used to have an NC30

In that case you should know Pic 2 is photoshopped.

rewski
    Free Member

They both are.

Cougar

partly because they percieve me riding dangrously.

Yeah, but come on. Speaking as someone with both car and motorcycle licences, *I* perceive you riding dangerously, and I haven’t seen you either.

weeksy

Yeah, but come on. Speaking as someone with both car and motorcycle licences, *I* perceive you riding dangerously, and I haven’t seen you either.

So do i on occasions… but like i say, it’s far rarer than it once was.

Back in the days of racing and trackdaying on 1000cc sports bike and riding them the same on the road…. then i was a danger.. and very lucky at times

flow
    Free Member

In that case you should know Pic 2 is photoshopped.

Err, I don’t think so somehow

http://www.fullthrottlemcsac.com/gpage2.html

And pic one is an NC30, not pic two 🙄

phil.w
    Free Member

They both are.

They went to quite a lot of effort it seems. 🙄

EDIT: great minds and all that…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it’s partly jealousy from some weird thing that i may get there quicker than them

Yup – I am jealous of motorcyclists. 🙄

flow
    Free Member

Thinking that something like that is photoshopped just shows how deluded you are.

I would also like to add, as an ex motorcyclist, if you kicked my car with your Alpinestars, I would run you the fech over 😉

Cougar

I would also like to add if you kicked my car with your Alpinestars, I would run you the fech over

Ooh, you drive an Ariel Atom? (-:

phil.w
    Free Member

you’d be suprised as what a car driver percieves as dangerous on a bike and what a bike rider percieves as dangerous.

I drive a van and would have thought that most motorcyclists would know that when behind me if they can’t see my mirrors then I can’t see them.

Apparently this isn’t common knowledge or they don’t see it as dangerous.

As I’m a non-motorcyclists can you tell me which it is?

flow
    Free Member

Ooh, you drive an Ariel Atom? (-:

There would be no chasing, I would sandwich you against the adjacent car without a moments thought 😈

weeksy

I drive a van and would have thought that most motorcyclists would know that when behind me if they can’t see my mirrors then I can’t see them.

Apparently this isn’t common knowledge or they don’t see it as dangerous.

As I’m a non-motorcyclists can you tell me which it is?

It’s not seen as dangerous, you’re a minor inconvenience…

weeksy

There would be no chasing, I would sandwich you against the adjacent car without a moments thought

and of course, we’d see you in court for reckless endangerment

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I didnt mind motorbikes until I drove (my car) on the A65 between the M6 and Skipton. Some right nutters on there that would lead me to pose the question – “Motorbike drivers – what is your problem?”

flow
    Free Member

and of course, we’d see you in court for reckless endangerment

Who are you, T1000?

I would be gone, and you would be on the floor wondering what the fech happened, wishing you never bothered.

weeksy

I didnt mind motorbikes until I drove (my car) on the A65 between the M6 and Skipton. Some right nutters on there that would lead me to pose the question – “Motorbike drivers – what is your problem?”

Think of the motorcyclists as you being a Downhiller. It’s a speed, adrenaline, power, control, performance thing all rolled into one.

riding a fast bike fast is like having your own personal rollercoaster

phil.w
    Free Member

It’s not seen as dangerous

That’s fine then I won’t have to worry about braking too sharply any more.

weeksy

Who are you, T1000?

I would be gone, and you would be on the floor wondering what the fech happened, wishing you never bothered.

Without getting too ridiculous, you’ve then opened yourself up to fleeing the scene of an accident, possibly even attempted manslaughter and in the world of technology, video survillance and even head based cameras the same as cyclists use on trails… do you REALLY think your idea is terribly wise ?

Especially if you DO manage to kill me and i/someone has go-pro’d your actions…

weeksy

That’s fine then I won’t have to worry about braking too sharply any more.

You shouldn’t have to anyway… in that case, they’re either too close or too stupid 🙂

flow
    Free Member

So its fine for you to kick someones car, but if they retaliate you would grass them up….

weeksy

So its fine for you to kick someones car, but if they retaliate you would grass them up….

The difference between a boot at a car and someone attacking me with a 2 tonne vehicle is quite dramatic ?

If i were to kick someones car (as i’ve done in the past) i would expect them to go to the Police and report me.

Cougar

Did IQs suddenly drop in the last half an hour when I wasn’t looking?

flow
    Free Member

The difference between a boot at a car and someone attacking me with a 2 tonne vehicle is quite dramatic ?

Ahhh I see, so I’m only allowed to retaliate if you deem it appropriate retaliation. I don’t think it really works that way.

If i were to kick someones car (as i’ve done in the past) i would expect them to go to the Police and report me.

Thats strange, I would expect someone to run me over or give me a beating.

weeksy

Did IQs suddenly drop in the last half an hour when I wasn’t looking?

sorry mum

phil.w
    Free Member

You shouldn’t have to anyway… in that case, they’re either too close or too stupid

It’s surprising how often it happens. I genuinely wondered if it’s not seen as that dangerous by motorcyclists.

joao3v16
    Free Member

If we weren’t talking about driving / riding motor vehicles I would’ve sworn weeksy & flow were both 9

flow
    Free Member

If we weren’t talking about driving / riding motor vehicles I would’ve sworn weeksy & flow were both 9

If this wasnt STW, I would have expected a more original, intelligent comment than that.

hora
    Free Member

If I weren’t 9 I’d suspect you were both middle aged 😈

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah my biggest problem with a motorcyclist came on the A59 side of Skipton – same idiots I assume. Wheelie-ing as they overtook me going up a hill with a blind summit, only to meet a car coming on the opposite direction and having to drop it and swerve in right in front of me. Muppet

Here is the exact spot.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=google+maps+of+thruscross+reservoir&hl=en&ll=53.993365,-1.732171&spn=0.011706,0.026608&safe=off&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.993304,-1.733671&panoid=xIGI5_vA8ZpIxGz9eYvOMg&cbp=12,117.63,,0,0.1

weeksy

Can you imagine how hard it is to do a controlled wheelie at speed on a motorbike. My guess would be 1-1000 motorcyclists could do the above… it’s a true art form on a bike.

I know i can’t that for sure.

flow
    Free Member

Can you imagine how hard it is to do a controlled wheelie at speed on a motorbike. My guess would be 1-1000 motorcyclists could do the above… it’s a true art form on a bike.

I know i can’t that for sure.

Easier than doing it slowly thats for sure.

You try doing a wheelie on your bike and keeping it a 5-10mph, them do one accelerating going quick, then report back and tell me I’m right.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have no doubt it is hard. Does that make it right on a busy public road with solid white lines and a blind summit?

D0NK

MF: someone did something stupidly dangerous.
    Weeksy: wow that is well hard, so cool!
    Flow: no it’s not anyone can do that!
    Donk: Shakes head…
    …and leaves the thread.

freddyg
    Free Member

Weeksy, Flow. Do you have any idea how rediculous you are both making yourselves look? 😐

Actually, you are both SurfMat and I claim my £5.

weeksy

Weeksy, Flow. Do you have any idea how rediculous you are both making yourselves look?

Actually, you are both SurfMat and I claim my £5.

I started sort of sensibly, but then it all got out of hand 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 361 total)

The topic ‘Car drivers – what is your problem?’ is closed to new replies.