Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • car dealers,cap black book.glass guide ? what do you use
  • paulo6624
    Free Member

just wondering how car dealers value their older motors for PX and resale I have been wondering about glass and cap but there websites don’t seem to give an indication of price,is that because there very expensive to use?

what do you use? what do you thibk ? and what do they cost?

any advice appreciated.

geoffj

With ebay, autotrader and gumtree it’s easier than ever to value a vehicle, based on market prices.
    The concept of a book price should be long dead.

jambalaya
    Free Member

lots of information sources, if you are a registered trader you can get the sale prices for car auctions plus the dealers are generally at the auctions following the makes they are interested in. Last time I was at an auction I noticed the cars traded at slightly higher prices than “dealer trade in” but quite a bit lower than “private sale” versus the various guide books, so that lead me to believe the books were reasonably accurate.

Marko

Dealers tend to use both. Buy at CAP and sell at Glasses – or the other way round.
    CAP Black book is around £500 pa for the printed version, more for a smart phone version. I guess Glasses is around the same price.

So unless you are thinking of becoming a trader don’t bother. Just follow Geofj’s advice and also buy a copy of the Parker’s guide.

Nobby

Recent experience would indicate they kind of ignore both these days.

cb

I tried PXing a car at a VW dealership – he used a daily auction guide and showed me the price on the screen. However, when I went back to sign on the dotted line he tried dropping me £200. I walked, never went back.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah Glass and CAP V. Expensive, and treated as semi confidential info. Best way is to know someone in the trace, who can cap your car so you know what the deal is.*

*based on 4 yrs ago when I left the industry

andypaul99
    Free Member

Most dealers use CAP as this takes auction values, which dealers prefer if they have to offload the part exchange down the block. Glasses guide isnt always very accurate and is more of a retail selling price guide than to value a p.ex.
    Its also worth noting that some car values differ wildly between Glasses guide and CAP, especially top end cars, BMW’s, range rovers, and strangely some french brands esp Renault normally come out with higher values on glasses guide.

If a dealer is really struggling with a valuation i have known them to price it on we buy any car dot com!

paulo6624
    Free Member

Thanks good info there guys,I generally just buy/sell based on what I think seems right and don’t really ever have any issues but really just wondered whether I was missing a trick with these services.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘car dealers,cap black book.glass guide ? what do you use’ is closed to new replies.