Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Caps under helmets
  • acjim
    Free Member

drop bars yes – always nice to have a cap to pop on if the weather gets miserable
    flat bars no – buffs/pisspots for mtb!

uplink
    Free Member

If the weather is particularly sunny & hot or cold – I tend to wear a bandanna under my helmet

Keeps my head warm
    Prevents sweat running in my eyes
    Stops the top of my head from burning

Not sure about a peak on a helmet being useless with drops, I've never found it a problem

hora
    Free Member

Yep- A Rafa in the rain as the peak keeps the rain off my glasses. I say in the rain, technically if I am ever caught out mid-ride as otherwise I wont go near a ride if its lashing it down

barrykellett
    Free Member

You have to laugh at full on roadie mentality.
    They won't wear a helmet with a peak on it. They sneer at other riders who do wear the peaked helmets.
    Yet they go and stick a gay wee cap with a peak on it under their helmet, just so they can have a peaked helmet without actually wearing a peaked helmet?

john_l
    Free Member

Bit tricky to flip the peak up on your helmet.

uplink
    Free Member

Armstrong seems to manage OK with a peak

hilldodger
    Free Member

You have to laugh at full on roadie mentality.

No, what you realllly have to laugh at are 'mountain' bikers who won't wear cycle specific clothing when cycling – instead preferring their oh so trendy clown trousers, baggy shirts and camo jackets, nothing to do with trying to hide their fat IT manager guts or spindly stick insect legs is it……..

tinsy
    Free Member

uplink I was going to say how much I thought a bandana was a rubbish idea I tried it one cold day and it got soaked with sweat on the first tough bit, then froze my head for the rest of the ride… too warm on the ups and not the right material to dry quick enough for the downs.. fail.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

I love how roadies need two pieces of headwear to ensure they are better than you.

AndyP
    Free Member

Personally I've never found a need for either a peak or a cap, on or off-road. Sunglasses do the trick for me in terms of spray/rain etc. And when it's really really cold, then a skullcap under the helmet does the 'keeping head warm' bit.

juan
    Free Member

No, what you realllly have to laugh at are 'mountain' bikers who won't wear cycle specific clothing when cycling – instead preferring their oh so trendy clown trousers, baggy shirts and camo jackets

You'll find that the clothing you are mentioning above IS cycling specific.

tinsy
    Free Member

The cotton roadie cap uner a helmet is definately just a fashion thing, cotton just isnt the right material in my opinion. As sugested if its real cold then a proper skull cap, or the ear band thing.

uplink
    Free Member

too warm on the ups and not the right material to dry quick enough for the downs.. fail.

Not the right material? Coolmax polyester? – I think you failed to get the correct one

AndyP
    Free Member

No, what you realllly have to laugh at are 'mountain' bikers who won't wear cycle specific clothing when cycling – instead preferring their oh so trendy clown trousers, baggy shirts and camo jackets

You'll find that the clothing you are mentioning above IS cycling specific.

cycling specific for scoutmasters or kiddiefiddlers, perhaps…

ojom
    Free Member

Is this anything like pants under lycra? 8)

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Road riders, nothing to do with trying to hide their lack of ability offroad…

crazy-legs

Helmet visor and Oakley Half Jackets every time for me (I wear contacts when riding so glasses are essential even at night). If it's cold I wear a Buff underneath. I've never had problems with lack of visibility when on the drops on the road or CX bike.

I don't mind the roadie caps though – not really bothered what others choose to wear.

thefettler
    Free Member

My cap for touring

Not gay in any way 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

uplink, yup mine was a cotton bandana, yours is the right stuff 🙂

However you would still look like a cycling pirate, and that cant be good.

miketually
    Free Member

Armstrong seems to manage OK with a peak

Looks like he was on his MTB there 😉

However you would still look like a cycling pirate, and that cant be good.

But, pirates are ace!

MrSmith
    Free Member

I love how roadies need two pieces of headwear to ensure they are better than you.

what if they are just cyclists who ride MTB too and just happen to have different gear/shoes/clothing to suit whatever riding they do?

i think i'll wear a buff, road cap, skull cap, ear warmers and lid on my next ride. that will show em how excellent i think i am.

hilldodger
    Free Member

You'll find that the clothing you are mentioning above IS cycling specific

Only in the sense of it being sold to cyclists – the clown trousers come from the world of surf bums, the tent-tops from snowboarding and the camo jackets pander to the wannabee tough guy/gal aspect of the 'sport'

The typical clown biker outfit could jus as well come from JJB sports or Top Man as CRC/Wiggle – it's clown clothes for clown people, end of…

..and as for pink gloves 😈

clubber
    Free Member

I made a point of wearing my roadie cap under my helmet this morning – even took the peak off 🙂

FWIW, my roadie cap isn't cotton – it's made of the same sort of material as jerseys so it dries nicely and doesn't get soaked out.

PS LOL at the people who somehow think that not being narrow-minded about your cycling (eg not having an issue with doing both mtbing and road riding) think that somehow one makes you worse at the other. Doing both probably makes you a better rider than limiting yourself only to one.

juan
    Free Member

cycling specific for scoutmasters or kiddiefiddlers, perhaps…

Mwah ah ah ah.
    I take it you mean people that actually ride "mountain" bike rather than XC "wimpet" riding around a field.

LOL at mark pants under lycra ref.

ojom
    Free Member

Mangetout Juan, Mangetout.

uplink
    Free Member

Looks like he was on his MTB there

nah ……

juan
    Free Member

..and as for pink gloves

I wear them with pride, I am man enough for that but maybe it's not everyone case.

Short are fine for biking they have pockets for easy reach, that being useful for bars and the map.
    Plus they allow you to chose any underwear you want thus getting rid of the padding for more comfy rides.
    Tshirt are made of exactly the same material than jersey so they makes no difference other that they can be use for climbing/walking/tennis etc etc.
    Camo short are actually a very good piece of kit that can be bought for super cheap. But as said in the waterproof short thread you need to actually ride off road for that.

AndyP
    Free Member

potage bonne femme rodders.

Sam

Yet they go and stick a gay wee cap with a peak on it under their helmet, just so they can have a peaked helmet without actually wearing a peaked helmet?

Which came first, the cap or the peak?

I pretty much always wear one unless it's baking hot.

Sam

pic thanks to raluca

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've been thinking about ordering a rapha cap for a few weeks now but haven't quite got round to it. I'm ordering one this very minute though as I didn't realise it wound some people up so much.

MrSmith
    Free Member

get the one with the pink stripe down the middle. it really challenges those people who like to pigeonhole themselves and have strong views as to what is acceptable for other people to wear while riding a bicycle.

adstick
    Free Member

It's fashion. Just like mountain bike clothing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I wear them with pride, I am man enough for that but maybe it's not everyone case

Napolean complex 😈

juan
    Free Member

hildodger in anti french comment shocker

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Rapha Paul Smith 531 cap in the tweed/houndstooth effect. It complements a large assortment of other hats that I own and wear. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

It's not really fashion to wear a cap under a helment though – you can clearly see the origin – cyclists didn't wear helmets when cycling started so people wore caps to keep their heads warm/stop sweat/whatever. When helmets became popular/required then people just kept wearing their caps but put them under their helmets.

Now, that said, there are some people who undoubtedly do wear them for fashion but they'd largely be the fakenger set and are easy enough to spot as they'll not be wearing a cap with club/normal design but rather whatever one is flavour of the month/classic – eg the classic Campagnolo along with all the obligatory fakenger kit. Simples.

miketually
    Free Member

I have a cap made of wool, with a tweed go faster stripe.

clubber
    Free Member

fakenger!

juan
    Free Member

you can clearly see the origin – cyclists didn't wear helmets when cycling started so people wore caps to keep their heads warm/stop sweat/whatever

yes and people were riding fixed/singlespeed bike made of steel…
    See where I am going here 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I was thinking the rapha cap with the pink strip as it would have the highest annoyance factor and would match the pink detailing on my other rapha kit, but the black/black stripe is more practical for winter.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Caps under helmets’ is closed to new replies.