Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Canyon Nerve AM or XC
  • londonpride
    Free Member

Has been asked many a time but I’m still undecided…help me!!!

Currently have an old Sub 5. 100mm up front and 120 back. Its knackered. The Canyon’s look great value for money.

The riding I do is mainly trail centre and Surrey hills. Currently building a 456 carbon for the hills and winter but think will want full sus for summer and trail centres. Possibly odd bit of Scotland, Alps, north eng thrown in too. All of that (including mega avalanche) have been done on Sub 5 but now think something with a bit more travel (up front at least) is needed.

I want a bike which has similar feel to my old Orange but more travel and cheaper than the current Orange range. I still want it to have a ‘pop’ when going over jumps….not a feel of soaking everything up.

Will the AM be too much? I was thinking it would be perfect with 140 talas but this year’s version has 150. I’ve heard you can often lose the ‘feel for the trail’ on the flatter bit etc and that 140 was the sweet spot and 150 is too much. Could I get away with more air in the forks?

I know not much difference in weight and both great spec. In fact sure will be happy with either but keep changing mind between the two and because I cant test ride them will always have, what if, moments!

Help me avoid that and in making my decision please!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Some opinions of that very Q here (you may have seen this already):
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17062042

I got an XC just before Christmas and think it’s up to most / all Scottish trail centre stuff – probably not proper DH though. However those there Alps could be the fly in the ointment! No idea on the AM sorry.

It’s firmer feeling (or maybe that just the lack of bobbing) than the Commie Super 4 it replaces – and has no problems with jumps!

Is there anyone localish to you that has one and could let you have a shot at either?

I posted on here and stanfree did a swap with me for a couple of hours before I hit the buy button.

The other thing is if you buy one and dont like it Canyon do a 30 day money back no quibble thing. I’m not sure if you’d have to pay return postage though.

londonpride
    Free Member

Thanks. From what I have seen most on BikeRadar go for XC and here AM. Need to try and test ride AM or at least something with a 150 fork on it. Worried if I go for AM with the idea that can change 30 days in if not happy with it will result in a chipped frame or worse a stack and then stuck with it.

Has anyone ever returned a Canyon to swap for something else and what condition was it in?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve AM or XC’ is closed to new replies.