• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sim.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Canon G11 or Panasonic LX3, which one!
  • daveagiles
    Free Member

Bit stuck, trying to find a more compact camera to replace my 30D.

Cant decide between these two, prity taken with the wider angle faster Panasonic lens, but the canon just looks sturdier.

Going to try and have a go with them during the week, but interested to here anyone's opinions on them.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Bought a G10 earlier this year. First thing I did with it was drop it on to the edge of a coffee table. Small crack in the perspex covering the screen, nothing else. Nice kit too.

mmannerr

I bought G9 (cheap NOS) this summer and required amount of fiddling in the menus is annoying – the G11 has improved in this area as exposure control has now dedicated dial. Anyway, they are nowhere near SLR in terms of usability and for me this means that I will shoot usually in P -mode with slight underexpose set in. The LX3 would have had enough control for that as well, plus wider lens but for some reason no shops seemed to have them in stock in June.
    I like the G-series "build quality" feel though – no matter if it is not required in disposable electronics. And the accessories are priced dearly, e.g replacement batteries from other mfgrs cost ~ 1/3 of Canon prices.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GX200 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

GX200

Yep, I've played with the GX100 and it's a nice bit of kit so I'm sure the GX200 is worth a look.

matthewjb
    Free Member

When I was looking at this I decided the Canon was too big for a 'compact'.

I got the Nikon

lodious
    Free Member

Personally I love the Canon's tilt and swivel display, as it's great for taking pic's of the kids. If I did not have kid's though I'd probably go for the smaller LX-3.

Ewok
    Free Member

Canon s90 looks better than both.

Ken has his say:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Coasting
    Free Member

G11 all the way.Much more intuative controls and although a little bulky the build quality will handle a rough day on the bike.Panasonic like a little plastic toy

tinribz
    Free Member

Compared to the S90 he LX3 has a wider angle and faster lens, and HD video.

Same goes for G11 only also much smller and lighter too.

http://www.review2.net/cameras/s90-vs-lx3-vs-g11

GX200 'looks' a bit weird.

Matt-P
    Free Member

I sold a G9 to get the Lx3 as seduced by the faster lens and the Hd video. The LX is a great camera with a couple of exceptions, I found the lens a little too short and missed the zoom of the Canon. Build quality of both are good but I also found the quick joystick on the Lx a bit vague to use.
    For me the shorter zoom is getting to be a deal breaker and Im thinking of selling again for a G11!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My LX3 has replaced my Nikon D300 for family use – holidays, days out etc.

light, small, discrete, brilliant package.

vrapan
    Free Member

If you need zoom then the LX3 is not for you at all. But image quality, fast lens (as in fast aperture) and if you can appreciate the wider than most other compacts lens then LX3 all the way.

BTW Matt-P if you do end up selling your LX3 I have a place for a second one in my household 🙂

Sim

GX200 is the best handling compact I've used, photographer first design with dials and a step zoom. Lovely. The image quality sucks though, a mid-range Panasonic produces cleaner images.
    Tried the Canon G series and don't understand them at all. Mediocre image quality and bulky, Canon's own Ixus line is much better.
    Not tried a LX3 but if I was in the market for a compact that'd be the one I tried first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was being cheeky but it seems to me it has the build quality of the canon, if not the bulk/weight, and a lens close to the Pana, albeit that it deosn't need processing to correct for barrel distortion.

I guess I'd put more weight on the myriad of +ve reviews on its image quality than one user saying it "sucks".

Sim

Cynic-al, feel free, just reporting my findings. I want to love it, but it doesn't quite deliver.
    The contents shot from last issue was taken on it, so it is possible to coax a decent image out of it but it's much harder work than with the Panasonic I had previously.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Canon G11 or Panasonic LX3, which one!’ is closed to new replies.