Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cannondale Lefty maintenance – a query for the experienced Lefty owners
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got a Flash Alloy 29er this March and have just ridden it since I got it and loving every second of it. It’s got the PBR lefty on it. So far everything has been 100% fine with it despite some knarly terrain, a very average rider who has a talent for picking the worst line, and a few minor spills, the good old lefty has taken everything I’ve thrown it it without a complaint. It certainly seems to be very robust unit so far. However I’ve no idea about any routine maintenance and have not seen anything of the infamous needle bearing drift issue – has this been sorted for the PBR version? Forum searching so far hasn’t come up trumps with suggested regular service schedule, just what to do if something goes wrong. Cheers.

tomhoward

Does the owner manual not say?

Garry_Lager

Couple of things to do – make sure water doesn’t accumulate under the fork boot during winter as the races / fork will corrode. Simple as just lifting the boot, checking and wiping it down.

When you reset, if indeed you need to reset with your version, Tony from thumbprint told me you can spray grease down the interior when you have the topcap off as a general maintenance step.

You can also clean the air filter once in a while.

They’re the simple things to do. Stuff like a full monty strip down and damper oil change was something I always left to the professionals, but can be done yourself if you’re that way inclined. Need one or two special tools.

ETA – If you need advice on the fork then there are knowledgeable folk here, but the cannondale forum on mtbr is the last word – some lefty gurus on there.

d45yth
    Free Member

Have a look at the Cannondale forum over on MTBR…I’m sure there’s guides on there with everything you need to know (including vids).

Edit: just saw that MTBR has already been recommended!

dale
    Free Member

as a rough guide I ride twice a week so about 8 hrs a week
    every 2 weeks reset bearings, every second bearing reset check behind boot wipe and add small amount of grease to sliders(prep m),every 6 months oil change,every 2 years new bearings and reshim, bearing reset takes 10 mins,owned lefty’ 6 years ride in the Calderdale grit all year simple strong and robust fork (older coil sprung max tpc) enjoy

ratherbeintobago

Manual for mine (2010 DLR) suggests bearing reset needed about every 25h – case of letting the air out, taking the top cap off and cycling the telescope a few times. Not a big job at all, but manual will take you through it.

Edit – yep; 25h and process v. similar to mine. Shimano tool referred to is an external BB spanner. Manual for 2012 forks here

As I understand it, the 2013 forks (not this year’s) have finally got self-resetting bearings.

Andy

teamslug
    Free Member

I have a 2009 dlr2. 1st lefty I’ve had. Reset is as @rather above says. Shimano bottom bkt tool removes top cap. Easy to do. Extend sharply a few times and measure.

bland

You dont even need to nip up the top cap completely so you can thereafter do it without the BB tool, wont cause any problems or come loose

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Lefty maintenance – a query for the experienced Lefty owners’ is closed to new replies.