Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Cannock Chase – enough there for 4-5hrs?
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Hi, just been planning out the next couple of weeks and I’ve realised that I can probably jump on a train and be in Rugeley in just over an hour; I quite fancy a day out in Cannock Chase but I’m not sure how long to plan for. I’ve been there a couple of times in mates’ cars so I know there’s a fair bit of stuff beyond FTD but how much? Enough for 4-5hrs exploration?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Plenty for 4-5hrs. Do the dog to warm and then go mooching. Just keep mooching. There are some hidden gems.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

There’s loads over there if you know where to look, see if a local can show you around

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Cheers neils & john: mooching sounds ideal. I’ve got an interview the day before so I’m looking to do a bit of head clearing time – wouldn’t be much fun to be around, especially not for anyone kind enough to find the time to show me ‘their’ trails! But yeah, plenty of mooching time sounds good 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

why not aim for a wed n go with the chase slackers? they can show you the way round that way.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Heh, the interview’s on a Wednesday and I want a mini day out the day after to spin off any leftover stress and so on. And, hopefully, to celebrate!

But thanks anyway 🙂

mentalalex
    Free Member

if your free on weekends Sunday rides at 9.30md 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

if your free on weekends Sunday rides at 9.30md

That’s the thing – Two of my children are only with us on weekends and that’s always going to come first so I have to grab midweek rides when I think I won’t be missed at work 🙂

kinda666
    Free Member

If you start on FTD, instead of going down Section 13 (chain slapper) cross the road and head towards Tackeroo campsite, and just follow your nose! BTW the markers on the trail don’t actually tell you which section you are on!

BigJohn

I’ve been going there for years and yesterday (while trying to formalise a 35 mile figure of 8 loop, that doesn’t repeat anything) rode for 4 1/2 hours and found places I’d never been to.

scruff
    Free Member

John, that was just dementia.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

lol@scruff.

It all sounds good, cheers folks. Looking forward to it a lot now 🙂

BigJohn

I might have dementia, but at least I haven’t got dementia.

maxray
    Free Member

Quite a few people seemed like they just mooched round the car park for 4 or 5 hours on Sunday 😀

snakebite
    Free Member

i thought ‘mooching’ was a shopping term?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Just thought:it will be a case of getting off the train at Rugeley and spinning along to Birches Valley won’t it?

kinda666
    Free Member

Rugeley isn’t too far, or you could get off at Hednesford and ride up the Heritage Trail to Marquis Drive and the Chase is your oyster from there! Where are you travelling from??

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Where are you travelling from??

Derby – I can change at Tamworth for Rugeley or Birmingham New Street for Hednesford. I’d much rather change at Tamworth and it also takes 25mins less even if Hednesford sounds like a better starting point

kinda666
    Free Member

It’ll be Rugeley trent valley station then, as there are two stations in Rugeley!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

kinda666 – that’s what I’d been planning as a way there but *very* reassuring to have confirmation, ta 🙂

kinda666
    Free Member

No worries, if you need train times, lemme know as i have a magic computer and the biggest train set in Wolverhampton to play with! :o)

MikeWW
    Free Member

Kinda666 is our resident train expert……ask him anything 🙂

neilb67
    Free Member

MikeWW – Member

Kinda666 is our resident train expert……ask him anything

How many trains went past your signal box last night while you were asleep….?

kinda666
    Free Member

None, I was off last night, i’m at work now!

neilb67
    Free Member

But your awake…

kinda666
    Free Member

Yeah first shift back after 2 weeks off, it’ll be all change by Wednesday/Thursdayish! 😳

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

No worries, if you need train times, lemme know as i have a magic computer and the biggest train set in Wolverhampton to play with! :o)

Lol, well, until me or my missus passes our driving test I may be calling on your services. cheers 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – I worked out the right bit to turn off 'over the road' and had a great time mooching round. Cheers 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase – enough there for 4-5hrs?’ is closed to new replies.