Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Canary Islands
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

I know nothing.
    which would be the best one for a week of surfing lite(I am crap)/biking and the preggers wife reading a book/sleeping??
    Not to many chavs if possible?

Haze

I’m no expert, but from the very little research I did a while back I got the impression that Fuerteventura is the better option for surfing, with either Tenerife or Lanzarote for biking.

Worth remembering you can probably ferry between resorts if you want to pitch up close to where the surfing is but with the option to get away for a days riding somewhere else?

trailmonkey

South end of Fuerteventura. Hardly any brits, lots of tracks and trails ( nothing too technical; though ) good surf on the west coast ( the island is really thin down the bottom so getting from east to west is a 10 min car journey .

Been to the same place, Costa Calma, 11 years running, love it.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Thanks trailmonkey – i shall investigate, sounds perfect. 11 years is a pretty good endorsement!!

donsimon
    Free Member

( the island is really thin down the bottom so getting from east to west is a 10 min car journey .

But you might/will need a 4X4, the south west of Fuerte is quite rugged. As said before, I believe Fuerte is for surfers, on the southern tip you won’t find many Brits, but you will find lots of Germans.

marco
    Free Member

Hi
    Tenerife is great for biking (Mount Tiede downhill!!) and north of the island for surfing. If you stay in the south, couple of kilometers up the coast from playa de las americas is Costa Adeje which is very quiet, great beaches and lots of locals. I had 2 weeks last year and loved it.
    Also Lavatrax are based in Tenerife and are a great MTB guide company run by an English guy (Daz)
    It will be very cheap at this time of year too!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I was also at the south end of Fuerteventura. Mainly Germans go there but that means it’s more civilized than the Brits on the piss attitude you get further north. I was in Jandia and took my bike with me. At the south tip the roads turn into dirt roads so you’ll be sharing the tracks with people in hired Jeeps. The landscape is like the moon not a bit of greenery in sight (apart from the hotel complexes) and if you do fall of the volcanic stone will rip you to pieces. One thing to bear in mind is that if you take your bike with you and you get picked up by bus to take you to your hotel they bus driver will charge you 50 Euros per trip! But Fuerteventura is the closest to the African continent and so has better weather in winter/spring if that is when you plan to go.

trailmonkey

But you might/will need a 4X4, the south west of Fuerte is quite rugged

Nope, there are roads now, unless you wanted to go cross country by bike 8)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Freeride – there’s naff all to do on Fuerte.

Lanzarote (been three times) is brilliant for surf – Famara on the NW end (nr La Santa) is a very decent beginners beach but gets some juice when the swell picks up. Mountains nearby for riding, some lovely restaurants in Caleta de Famara too – really do recommend it. We went there when Mrs Matt was 4 months pregant. She loved it too.

“Selfish” surf holidays where there’s nowt for the other half to do while you surf all day are pretty lame IMO.

We used this company for accommodation:

http://www.zocoshelter.com/accommodation_search.php?iddest=2&idloc=1&idres=3

donsimon
    Free Member

Road to Morro del Jable then driveable dirt track to Cofete, then pretty much nothing to the next building and then literally nothing even though there was something marked on the map. I decided to turn the Jeep around at that point. Discretion and valor and all that. 😉 I’ll try and post some pics later.

freeridenick
    Free Member

surf-mat
    thanks, don’t really need any shallow reefs to kill myself on! a nice beach break will suit me!

freeridenick
    Free Member

one more question, what would the weather be like in february?

donsimon
    Free Member

Scorchio. 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Blast that useless server.

Double post. Sorry

trailmonkey

don simon, i’m talking east to west from Costa Calma not Morro Jable.

Nice beach break at La Pared Freeridenick, google earth it

Weather is fantastic, I’m off 18th Feb 8)

donsimon
    Free Member

Aaah gotcha! Some beautiful little collections of houses, not even villages, right on the sand. Where’s the lottery win when you need it?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

surf-mat
    thanks, don’t really need any shallow reefs to kill myself on! a nice beach break will suit me!

Famara is perfect – nice long beach break. If you like traditional fishing villages with a mountain backdrop and plenty of places to eat and drink, Famara is ideal. We went in Feb and it was lovely and warm:

Waves were too far away for our puny camera but I had a great surf (about half a mile to the right of this pic) a number of times.

It gets windy though.

donsimon
    Free Member

That looks VERY NICE. 😉

freeridenick
    Free Member

what a beauty 8)

freeridenick
    Free Member

actually that looks just what we are after. plenty of room in the water for me not to get in anyones way..

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Freeride – I ran on that beach daily. It’s about three miles long!

freeridenick
    Free Member

even better as training for a marathon next year.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Lanzarote to Fuerteventura is a 45 minute ferry trip if you want to see two Islands but it’s a long drive from the south of Fuetre to the north.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Weather isn’t guaranteed in Feb, there were huge storms in the canaries for much of the week in Feb we were there last year. Wouldn’t let it put you off going, just make sure you’re staying somewhere where bad weather won’t ruin the holiday.

suthy
    Free Member

My outlaws have a villa in Corralejo (Fuerteventura) which has been used by surfers in the past. Email me for more info and the website. Significant discounts available for Singletrackers! On the phone so don’t know how to put in a link.

Perhaps if I just write it?

Infiniti-corralejo.co.uk

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Canary Islands’ is closed to new replies.