Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can you re use frame bearings ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Picking up a new frame quite cheap that needs a bit of paint so I’m going to have it powder coated.

To do a proper job I will take the frame bearings out.

Can you re-use the same bearings afterwards if they spin smoothly enough or should I just replace them.

Thanks.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

If you test the frame for play side to side indicating possible bearing wear & it feels tight no play & with the shock de pressured then I’d re use, you can tease the lip seals out wash out the old grease and re pack with fresh & pop the seals in & save your self a few quid.

On the other hand if you want a clean bill of health & have doubts just replace the lot, build it up & enjoy.

Most modern bikes have sealed bearings, all you do is inject grease into the pivot on Santa Cruz’s, it’d be daft to use open bearings on a mtb as all manner of crud & crap would get straight in & bearing life would be a few months at best.

Hope that helps.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

yes you can, however if the frame / bearings are over c 3 years old and you’ve got it stripped down already and you can get bearing kits at a decent price, i’d just wack a new set it – it’s a job you would have to do at some point

coppice
    Free Member

You’re assuming you can get them out in one piece, i’d probably just replace them.

I think the santa cruz with the grease ports run open bearings, otherwise the grease wouldn’t get past the seal?

renton
    Free Member

Its a 2014 Stumpy evo that has done around 60 hours riding.

joefm

If you can get them out without them being damaged then fine.

ones on my spesh enduro came out really easy so should be fine

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

In my stumpy from 2011 there are, I think, about 6 thousand bearing, at least it felt like that many. Not a job I’d like to do too often. Fitting new ones means longer between the ‘Eurpoean dust’ wrecking them and needing to do it again.

bigyinn
    Free Member

For the cost of a set of bearings, I’d be inclined to bin them regardless of condition. Removing them will put addtional pressure on the balls / races anyway, so they’re never as good once removed. Refitting them the same.
    £50 should get you a full set.
    False economy otherwise.

emac65
    Free Member

Yes you can, so long as you’re not a ham-fisted eejit with a hammer…

rickon
    Free Member

Hang on, why is a bike with only 60 hours of riding in need of a new paint job? Thats about 10-15 rides for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cos he wants a different colour?

I wouldn’t reuse bearings tbh, it’s easier to install than to remove, as you can press the whole bearing in, but removal often relies on pulling or hitting the inner race only, resulting in damage to bearing.

renton
    Free Member

The bike is in pretty good condition apart from some good sized chips out of the paint on the top tube.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why not leave the cosmetic chips until the bearings die

The do the lot then.

A few chips out the top tube of a pukka spesh paint job would be preferable to a powder coat if i was buying it anyway.

damascus
    Free Member

I would build it first and ride it, make sure it’s the correct bike for you before you waste your time and money on a bike that’s not right for you.

RobHilton
    Free Member

make sure it’s the correct bike for you before you waste your time and money on a bike that’s not right for you

Are you new here?

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Bikes are never ‘in need’ of a paint job anyway. It’s only owners that want them to look purdy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can you re use frame bearings ?’ is closed to new replies.