Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Can we start the biggest house spider thread..
  • bubs

We just relocated one that was too large to hide under the sofa but in all the excitement we didn’t take a photo. Pics with something for scale please and I will try harder with the next one (or when the last one comes back and kicks our door down).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had a couple of huntsman in a few houses

stevied
    Free Member

I think the Aussie’s will win this one..

hatter

My missus constantly seems to be coming across eight legged multi-fanged beasties large enough to pose a mortal threat to life and limb but by the time I have acquired suitable armaments and rushed to confront the adforementioned abomination it always seems to have escaped, to be replaced by something about the size of a ten pence piece.

I wonder where they’re all hiding.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and while sitting on the cropper in a campsite in the hunter I’m not sure if the huntsman on the wall freaked me more than the bullet holes in the wall

stevied
    Free Member

The huntsmen in the Hunter have guns? 😯

thefettler
    Free Member

here you go

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Ahhhh, poor little mite looks tired 😀

CountZero

Ahhhh, poor little mite looks tired

It’s just feigning tired, it’s leading you into a false sense of security, I can see it in its beady little eyes.
    Just waiting until your back’s turned… 😈

scotroutes

How many posts will it need?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I live in the far north of the UK (ok North Yorks), & the biggest one I’ve encountered was a Cardinal Spider which was pretty big, bout 2″ across the legs maybe?
    There’s currently 2 in my shed which are of similar size I think but I haven’t been in there for 3 months. 😕

racefaceec90

waits for harry the spider/roper to join this 😉

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Not in the house but a couple of months ago, we were riding through a rubber plantation. The guy ahead of me screeched to a halt and screamed like a 5 year old.

A spider that would have easily covered your hand had spun a web between trees at head height. He’d stopped with less than 1′ to spare! Googling afterwards suggests an orb spider – I forget which one.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yep, tropics = disgusting. This is a Golden Orb, I think. Hong Kong.

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, but there are loads of huge cardinal spiders in our house and garden at the moment, and a fair few false widows too.

Done f*** all to stop it being overun by aphids and black fly though the lazy feckers.

bubs

“How many posts will it need?”
    N+1 of last year’s thread I would expect but hopefully this one will involve larger spiders.
    I think the dark one in my shed is actually the only thing holding my shed together but neither the cat or the dog will now venture in.

pictonroad

We’ve had much bigger total leg width but the bulk of this fella was unnerving. Could feel it thumping against the jar. 😐

Rockplough
    Free Member

Caught this chap in the kitchen the other night. Not massive but big enough you could hear him, and quite a handsome specimen I thought.

scandal42
    Free Member

Itching

raify
    Free Member

Not exactly a house spider, more a desk spider:

Link to picture

This illegal immigrant hitched a lift from Mexico in some grapes.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Feisty bugger like that Rockplough bit me on the palm whic surprised me as I had always believed UK spiders couldn’t penetrate your palm…..so I always either leave then be to eat the pests around the house or if the rides gone purple with rage and fear and they’re that big resort to the trusty spider catcher and release them outside.
    Came across our first decent sized few false widows under the wheelie bins last week…..left them be, I like spiders….it’s only wasps that are the devils servants 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Roper Roper Roper

roper
    Free Member

OOOOH Great!!!! Spiders.
    It is that time of year for spiders to enter people’s homes and the Daily Mail to make up stories to try and scare people about spiders in the UK.

Unfortunately, my biggest type of house spider dies this year. I had her since she was just a cm or so

At the moment, my biggest is probably my female P.regalis

I do have this little spider but it will be a few years before it is fully grown

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah given the choice I’d leave them to it but the missus starts hyperventilating. It’s the bloody moths I want rid of.

breadcrumb

Nearly stepped on this today. Biggest House Spider I’ve seen.

surfer
    Free Member

Worked for a fruit wholesaler. Had a call from our Gateshead branch who had found a Brazilian wandering spider in some Bananas.

bubs

That sir, is a decent sized house spider. breadcrumb has it for now but all this wet weather is sure to drive more of the big ones inside.
    (roper’s are beautiful, particularly the little one, and are probably in a house but they are not strictly house spiders)

breadcrumb

When I called one of the lad’s over to have a look he said “Bloody hell, I could shake that **** hand!”

Hadge
    Free Member

Come on boys you’ve got to do better than those tiddlers! This is the skin of my baby, yes baby Goliath Birdeater, Theraphosa blondi. It’s only moulted 5 times since it was born so plenty of growing room until she gets to about 11 inches.

brakes
    Free Member

you’re not right in the head mate
    :shudders:

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i once stirred in the night with a tickly cough and realising it wasn’t going away sat up and went for one big cough. coughed up a palm sized (i have small hands) live house spider. my girlfriend sleeping next to me stirred and asked in a sleepy, sexy, voice- “what’s going on?”….she was petrified of spiders and would’ve gone ape shit…. “nothing lovely, sorry” was my reply as i let it go over the side of the bed and settled back in to stare at the ceiling for the rest of the night like this 😯

nothing like ropers beauties, but it did freak me out a bit

Hadge
    Free Member

This is my biggest spider at the moment, another Theraphosa but she’s a stirmi. She’s over 9 inches leg span now. I’ll try get a picture of her by my hand but I have to be careful as her hairs really are painful if she decides to flick them at you.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

im not sure how i ended up over in this corner of youtube but here are some vids of a guy who found a spider with ALL EIGHT LEGS MISSING and cared for it until it regenerated them all. bonkers
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmb-ioJ-CrsCL2UWl7ax1ww

welshfarmer

My entry into the genuine house spiders by your bed thread….

loddrik
    Free Member

Spiders don’t seem to last long in my house on account of these…

bubs

Is the one on the end remote control?

Xylene
    Free Member

Is that cat on the left a Korat?

stewartc
    Free Member

Golden Orbs are very common over the summer months, the above fella was around hands size (legs, not body!).
    These two set up their webs just a couple of inches above head height on a bike.

boxelder

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Can we start the biggest house spider thread..’ is closed to new replies.